Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Big C's Form Development Progress Thread (Updated with week 2)  (Read 475 times)

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
Big C's Form Development Progress Thread (Updated with week 2)
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Ok, so I'm starting out "blind bale" shooting for 20 practice sessions using a block target on a shelf.  Please let me know what you think I should be working on.  (I have a wife and two teenage kids, you can't hurt my feelings LOL)

End of week 1 (5 practice sessions)
  http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/bigcountryok/?action=view¤t=PICT0003.mp4

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big C's Form Development Progress Thread (Updated with week 2)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Good dynamic release, good followthrough.  You're grabbing the bow on release, which can lead to problems down the road, as you may eventually begin to anticipate the release and grab it an instant too soon, thus spoiling your shot.  Better would be to hold the bow lightly but securely enough with one or more fingers so you have the confidence you won't drop the bow when you shoot it, so you can keep your bow hand still during the release.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
I'd say work on your follow-through.  In that first shot your bow drops 4" at the instant of release (good background grid with that garage door! - & it's better in the second two shots)  You are rotating your left shoulder inward with each shot.  Also pulling your anchor hand way past your anchor point and, especially in the first shot, lifting your right shoulder after the shot.  My hand may move back an inch or two on release and everything else is motionless (not that I'm a Larry C. Whiffen or anything).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  After looking at the video I see the follow through issues that both of you mentioned.

As far as my anchor point goes, I'm really using a set of references. 1) Middle finger hits corner of mouth 2) base of thumb hits jaw bone just below ear 3) cock feather touches the tip of my nose.  At this point I begin relaxing my fingers while still applying tention on the string.  Could this be why it looks like I'm going way past my anchor?  Even with this am I still going too far back?

Thanks guys!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
BigCountryOK,

I doctored up some freeze frames from your video.  Would you like them posted here or should I email them?   :archer2:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Videos are better than still pictures, but there is so much we can't see.

However, one little thing that I see is much like McDave posted and that is you bow hand seems to be positioned a little differently on each shot, especially the first shot.  Also, the fingers not holding the bow seem stiff which is a sign of misplaced muscle tension in your bow hand.

It's just a little detail.  It may not mean much in your overall form.  Consistent anchors, alignment and follow through are much more important.

Also, when you compare where the bow and your draw elbow are at the moment of release, I think that I'm seeing some difference in how far you are drawing. Not much, but it will matter as distance increases.  This is related to alignment at the moment of release.  You are shooting pretty fast so it's difficult to be consistent with that. It might help to slow down in practice and put a mirror over your bale so that you can see your alignment. You may only need to go slow until you get a feel for repeatable alignment.  Many archers seem to shoot better if they establish alignment and anchors for a couple of seconds before releasing.  Others can do it more quickly.  But it is usually better to go slow until you have it ingrained pretty well.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Many archers seem to shoot better if they establish alignment and anchors for a couple of seconds before releasing. Others can do it more quickly. But it is usually better to go slow until you have it ingrained pretty well.
I agree.  I pause just a heartbeat before relaxing the back of my hand and allowing the string to leave.  I know shooters who release the instant the anchor is "there", but I also know archers who thought and would swear they had anchored when you could watch them release two inches before the arrow tip came back to full draw.  Snap-shooting is a horrible fault to correct once you pick it up.

That's the hard part: "they" tell you the shot should come unconciously . . . then they give you 17 things to think about during the shot:  Twist your bow side elbow up and out, don't lock your arm, don't lean your head into the string, keep your shoulders level and perpendicular to your back, focus entirely on a tiny spot on the target, anchor solidly and DON'T THINK ABOUT IT!  

Wha-huh?

Start with: develop a consistant anchor.

I'm going to have to video myself shooting.  Probably looks like Jim Carey aping Jerry Lewis having a seizure.  

PS - watch your video and look at the arrow tip only for a few reruns.  It shold be rock solid and in the same spot each shot (set the mouse cursor pointer on it).  Looks encouraging!  Now do the same thing with the Bear coin on the riser.  That's where you need some work.  You bow hand is not following through and/or you are canting the bow differently each shot.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Ok guys.  Here is what it looks like after week 2 (10 practice sessions).  I made some changes based on your feedback.  One thing I see right away is that I keep dropping my bow arm about 1 inch consistantly.  Its like its spring loaded to do this and I can't figure out how to stop it.

What do I need to work on.  Thanks in advance.

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/bigcountryok/?action=view¤t=Week2.mp4

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
BigCountry,  that's sooooo much better I can't begin to tell you!!!!!  Now, slow down!  There is no rush.  Take 40-45 seconds between shots (let the muscles recover) and focus on what you are doing.  Holding that bow hand still is a matter of concentration both before and after the release.

You are doing VERY well, keep at it.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©