Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: this is crazy guys over the back again  (Read 486 times)

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
this is crazy guys over the back again
« on: November 07, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
This is my 3 deer that I have shot over there back  dont know what to do  I picked a spot low tonight   Thinking about going back to my longbow. first year to hunt with a recurve and it stinks
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: this is crazy guys over the back again
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Have you tried practicing on a 3-D deer target with no spots, stickers or other aiming aids?  Even a cardboard silhouette will help.

I'm partial to the U-fill bag deer (the deer shaped one, not the square pillow) that Three Rivers used to sell.

I don't throw arrows any dfferently between my longbow and my recurves, just a different grip.  Is you longbow a lower weight than the recurve?  Are you not coming back to your same anchor point?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline heavyfire99

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
are you bending at the waist in your treestand? everttime i havent. i've shot over thier backs  no matter whwere i aim.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Yep...card board is great....whether its the shape of a deer or not.....just practice aiming at the center of the brown...focus on the middle. You can also buy a pack of brown construction paper...or tan...or grey....and tape that up on a target butt for one shot each.

ONE shot, and shoot another piece of cardboard...don't give yourself 'something' to aim at like the arrow hole.

This will train you to shoot where your eyes are looking.

Stay after it!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by jtwalsh62:
This is my 3 deer that I have shot over there back  dont know what to do  I picked a spot low tonight   Thinking about going back to my longbow. first year to hunt with a recurve and it stinks
Follow through with aiming was my problem. I'd look at a spot, and then release.... whoooooosh... over the back.... over and over...

Then I got a lesson in shooting from an old guy who actually grew up with recurves and he suggested that I practice first... 5 yards 50, 15 yards 30, go roving while hunting, which I find is the most fun thing to do (and in 10 years I've not lost an animal... help tracking too helped) but to allow the computer between your ears to learn where your arrow is supposed to be vertically while shooting.

Looking down the arrow keeps it aligned for me horizontally.

I shoot at slippers tacked to a bale and into buckets with blunts as well to get away from just pie plates stuck to a stick...

Anyways... I had the same problems for years and missed animals from as little as 5 yards... one memorable stalk on film... over a half mile from upwind to 5 yards coming up behind... and missed... 3 times on the same sheep... I was ready for the couch after that one...   :knothead:  

Aloha....  :archer2:

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
What I do is pick a leaf or branch that is just below the boiler room and let her rip an haven't shot over since I started doing that. I also hunt about 25' up so my angles are pretty severe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©