Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: horrible cast, how to remedy?  (Read 531 times)

Offline kevshin21

• Trad Bowhunter
horrible cast, how to remedy?
« on: November 08, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »
I have this shelf-less horse bow that shoots 40@32 and I got the nock set to where its shooting pretty straight. Thing is after 10 yards it shoots low. At 40 yards I have to aim approximately 3-4 times higher than the actual target(2x2 haybale). On the other hand my friend has a similar bow 60@26 and he has awesome cast, he does not even have to compensate at 50 and just aims directly at it. Is there anyway I can remedy the horrible cast? is my nock too high/low? Any help would be appreciated.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: horrible cast, how to remedy?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
You're comparing a 40#@32" with a 60#@26"; so figure maybe 30@28 vs. 65@28 evened-out.  He SHOULD have more than twice the cast yours does just on the factor of draw-weight.  

Your 32" draw also means you have to carry the added weight of the shaft.  His arrows have about 20% less wood than yours if they're both 11/32" dia.

How are you "aiming" your bow?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline kevshin21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Well I am not trying to really compare his bow to mine. It is just that at 20 yards I already have to arch my shot which I found really weird. I am using easton st 500 epic shafts and he is using 350's. I am aiming instinctively, using a thumb ring and shooting off my thumb.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I believe you are describing the difference of the line of departure with the actual trajectory of the arrow.  The arrow doesn't rise if released level and steadily drops as gravity and air resistance have their way with it, but you are lifting the tip of the arrow before release to compensate for distance (no matter if you sight, aim or shoot instinctively).  Since you have noticed that we can assume you are not truly shooting instinctively.  If you are consciously or unconsciously using a point-of-aim or gap method you have to figure out where to aim to get the arrows to fall where desired.  Works OK for target shooters and known yardages but not so well for hunters.  In college you would see those guys putting styrofoam cups at their "spot" in front of the target and pegging them in place.  If you are shooting instinctively, start at a short distance and practice, practice, practice and back up as you develop the reflexive muscles to take care of the bow positioning to hit the target.

(Pardon the image of the bow with training wheels)

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline kevshin21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Ah I see, I am more of a gun person so bear with me here. It is basically the trajectory drop (MOA) of the arrow right? While my friend has a higher weight (for example a m16 shooting a 5.56 round) and I have a lower weight bow (m16 spectre shooting 9mm round) The drop varies right?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
You got it.  To get to your downrange mark you have to tilt your arrow back farther initially because it is not as "flat shooting" as his.  

Bows are not directly equivalent to firearms, though.  He shoots with a stronger bow but must use a stiffer (= denser = heavier) arrow.  But you get the picture.  It's all about energy.  

PS - don't be trapped by velocity.  A heavier arrow can do more damage when it arrives.  We don't get the hydrostatic effect of impact that a rifle bullet enjoys.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Stiffer doesn't necessarily mean heavier, especially when it comes to aluminum and carbon arrows(look at the 2512 verses 2016 with aluminum).

Also, are you actually drawing to 32"? That's very long on the draw. Anything less than 32" is going to be less draw weight as well, so you may not even be getting 40 pounds, which translates to an even lower point of impact.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Kev,
What is your actual draw length?  If you don't know, have your friend stand beside you with a magic marker while you come to full draw and hold.  He should mark the arrow even with the back of the riser of your bow.  The back is the side away from you.  Now let down.  Measure from the mark back to the throat of the nock of the arrow.  That is your actual draw length.  For every inch that you draw less than 32", subtract about 2 pounds of draw weight.  So if you draw 28" that is 4" less than the 32" your bow was measured at or about 8 pounds less draw weight.  That would mean that your true draw weight is only 32#@28".  Okay, how heavy are your arrows?  A grain scale used for ammunition reloading will tell you.  Arrows for your bow should weigh about 320 grains.  That weight of arrow from your bow will prevent you from having to shoot a rainbow trajectory to reach the target at 20 or so yards.

Have fun,
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©