Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: NOCK RIGHT ON BARE SHAFT NO MATTER WHAT I DO !!! PLEASE HELP!!!  (Read 1299 times)

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
NOCK RIGHT ON BARE SHAFT NO MATTER WHAT I DO !!! PLEASE HELP!!!
« on: November 11, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I went to buy some arrows for my new bow and as we started tuning i was hitting nock right and kept happening and after changing arrow length, weight, spine , tip weight and two types of carbon the only thing that would even fly close to straight is a over spined wood shaft.  niether me or the guy at the archery shop have a clue what to do. if you have any ideas please help.  just for a little more info  the bow is a 54" r/d long bow, left handed, 7-1/4 brace hight, 49# @ 28" , i draw 26" got a 15 strand b-50 dac string and nock point is 1/2" high.  any and all sugestions are more than welcome we are stumped !!!
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NOCK RIGHT ON BARE SHAFT NO MATTER WHAT I DO !!! PLEASE HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
so your actually drawing about 43# to 45# at your 26" correct? try using either 1816 or 1916 aluminum with 125 grain heads.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
Here's an idea.  Check your release. Are you plucking the string?  I find that to be my most troublesome problem when my arrows don't tune.  Probly just me though.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Are the arrows grouping with your fletched shafts? In bare shaft tuning, the direction of the nock at impact is not so important. If your fletched shafts were hitting nock right, you'd have a problem.

If they are flying nock right and hitting left of the fletched group, your shafts are too stiff. Add weight to the front.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Oops, I see you are a lefty. In which case, if they are nock right and hitting left, your shaft is weak. I guess that would explain the overspined arrow working.

However, I find it difficult to believe any carbon arrow would be weak at your draw weight. More likely, the arrows are over spined and are hitting the riser on release, which would kick the nock right for a lefty. I'd load up the front and leave the shafts full length and give that a try.

Most of the time, I don't bother with bare shaft tuning anymore. I shoot big old Zwickey Delta or Grizzly 160 broadheads (fletched). If they group with my field points, I'm done tuning. Don't ever shoot a broadhead on a bare shaft    :scared:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
well doug i think you are the winner lol i shot a bare shaft about 20 more times at my house with an old carbon i have that is way over spined for my bow but still shot nock right.  this continued to puzzle me that i couldnt get results no matter what but i started looking at things in my form i could adjust to see what would happen and first off was my grip i have shot with just 3 fingers pressed into the back of the bow, and its always worked well with my kodiak mag but as soon as i just griped the bow like it was my .40 cal pistol i shot 20 arrows extremly nock left which means that it was my bad form all along and not some crazy arrow problem.  so i will try the bare shaft tune again and see what will happen hopefully this will improve my shooting all the way around.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
Are the arrows grouping with your fletched shafts? In bare shaft tuning, the direction of the nock at impact is not so important.
Well said!   :thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Welcome to the lefty problem! I fought the same trouble for a year when when everyone said I was under spined. The problem was that I was way over spined. After reading several posts on TG. I looked at the problem of false readings in spining. Start with Eastons Spine Charts and drop 2 spines lower. And CX's spine charts are one half step in between the Eastons.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©