Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Accuracy? how good is good enough to hunt  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Accuracy? how good is good enough to hunt
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Hmmmmm....lot of interesting things happening about here lately.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
I believe there are good and bad ranges to shoot deer. If the hunter is undetected before the shot 0-20 yds is good even with trad equipment. 25-35 yds is marginal because if the deer hear the string they have time to move. 35 yds and beyond deer are not likley to hear the string or see you so depending on your ability, confidence level and situation its better than the 25-35 yd zone. All this is subjective and completely depends on the situation and archer. Im not promoting risky shots but have killed in very low light conditions at 57yds. For someone like rick welsch, byron fergeson, or rod jenkins they probably wouldent think twice at 50 yd shots, it depends on you. if your not confident dont do it. I have years of 3-D, field archery and indoor competition to draw experience from so i tend to lean to the longer shots if necessary. The last thing i want is to not be able to take a shot on a buck at a lifetime because hes 30 or 35 yds away. I will practice, train and prepare myself to take "ALMOST" any shot that presents itself you owe it to the deer to be the best you can be. I remember years ago one of the video guys saying that " the only shot you will never make is the one you dont take" so be ready.Remember practice,practice
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Remember that even a slow by todays standards traditional bow shooting 150 FPS only takes about 1.5 seconds(accounting for deceleration of the arrow) to travel 50 yds. Im shooting one of randy morins "hy-breed" take down long bow 53#@27" that has no noticeable drop in arrow flight out to 22-25 yds its flat. So know your equipment
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by jerseyboy:
Im shooting one of randy morins "hy-breed" take down long bow 53#@27" that has no noticeable drop in arrow flight out to 22-25 yds its flat.
WOW!  I gotta get me one of those.  I have about 24" of arc I have to accomidate when picking a window through brush and branch at 20 yards.  maybe 32" at 25 yards.  And that's with a 125gr head.    :eek:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
My setup is 28" 2016 eastons with 125 grn woodsmans and three 4" parabolic or shield, makes no difference total arrow weight is 480 grns. they absolutely smoke at 15-20 yds. I was thinking of having randy make me a set of 60-62# @ 27 so i could shoot a little more arrow weight and not loose speed

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
If I cant shoot a pie plate at that distance 3 out of 4 times I will not shoot at an animal at that distance.
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Most of this has been covered, but here is my 2 cents worth.  Forget about being perfect, it aint gonna happen, the best will still miss. Try being a better Hunter than Shooter, think about that. I've been hunting for 46 years, still not a great shot, but am a pretty darned good hunter. Learn shot placemant, learn good stand placement, don't take anything but high percentage, ethical shots within your effective range. Study the animals you hunt year round not just a few weeks a year, put in the time to be a good Hunter, the shooting will take care of itself....RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
carbon Jack sent me a PM from another forum saying he's been banned here for causing offence, my comments about him trashing target shooters was clarified by Jack in his posts and a PM he sent me, I didn't read anything else that might have caused offence, just some straight talking about 3D\\hunting accuracy.

I thought USA was leading the rest of the world by proudly setting an example of free speach.

Jack made some good and interesting points seems a shame he's not here anymore.

Offline wheelie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Nothing offensive in this thread by Carbon Jack.  Likely has a ring of truth to alot of what he stated. Maybe it was another thread or just forum trouble. Forum was down this am.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©