Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Aiming marks  (Read 499 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Aiming marks
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I can understand the purpose of the three marks in the window area on this bow, but I have no idea what the longer line across the limb is for. Any ideas?
DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aiming marks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Oops, here is the actual picture that will help the above make sense.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
Oops, here is the actual picture that will help the above make sense.    
Growth Line....   :biglaugh:

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Yeah, I'll take a (big) guess.  

The three in the sight widow = hunting, with anchor in the corner of mouth, or close.  Mark on limb = 20 yard competition with anchor under the jaw.

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Casto Jr:
Yeah, I'll take a (big) guess.  

The three in the sight widow = hunting, with anchor in the corner of mouth, or close.  Mark on limb = 20 yard competition with anchor under the jaw.
Not being into the nuance of aiming like that, are you saying that one would change your anchor point throughout your shooting or be 3 under for all of it?

I'm not a "gap" shooter by design, though Im sure that "gap" enters into my psyche when aiming, but I'm assuming that if you used a single anchor point, then each of the lower three marks would represent some relatively more distant target than the line above the riser/sight window and if that was the case, wouldn't that upper line represent something like 5 yards?

Much Aloha..  :archer2:

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
I think Jim may have hit it on the head. I just gave it a try, and while my sighting line wouldn't have jumped up quite that much, a variation in facial structure and anchor points could make the difference.  
are you saying that one would change your anchor point throughout your shooting or be 3 under for all of it?
No, I think he's saying that when the person was shooting out in the field, hunting, 3-D, whatever, he used the same anchor up on his face, corner of the mouth or even higher; and he used that same anchor for all his shooting in the field. However, when he stepped inside to compete in a Vegas, multi color round, or blue face round, he went to a FITA style anchor under his chin/jaw. With this anchor the string nearly bisects the face and chin, and is used to align the arrow with the spot and control left/right alignment. The whole idea is to get as much consistency as possible because the distance never changes, nor does the size of the spot. Hope that helps clear it up??   :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©