Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Broadhead accuracy\\tuning  (Read 673 times)

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead accuracy\\tuning
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm not planning to hunt with these just one of the tourneys I go to have several Broadhead shots, I got some Zwickery 150g heads for my Heritage 150s using 5" helical.

They fly perfect to 15y group exactly the same place as the Field points but once past 17-18y they just dont go where I'm looking, do you expect to get same consistent accuracy as Field points from Broadheads, is this one of the reasons why Trad bowhunters normally keep within 20y shots?

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead accuracy\\tuning
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
Steve,

I'm sure I'm asking you to suck eggs here but have you spin tested the broadheads to make sure they are true? A slight wobble would indicate they are not which would subsequently cause the inconsistencies you are refering to.

Even with my level of accuracy my broadheads fly exactly like my field points so something must be going on. Inconsistent flight can sometimes be an indication of a weak arrow as well as the broadhead magnifies the effect. I'm sure at a competitive level like yours your set up is spot on so that's almost certainly not the problem.

On another note, now that you've got some heads maybe it's time to get out hunting......
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
No...it has NOTHING to do with someones 20 shot comments,.......I've killed Rabbits, Squirrels, and Ground hogs out to 60 yards with Broadheads.  I like my big game animals a lot closer....but it has nothing to do with my bheads not flying all the same as my field points or judos for that matter.

Bheads should fly exactly where your field points go...no ifs-ands-or buts.

Most times I have 3 different type broadheads in my quiver, and all of them have the same point of impact...along with my judo. I usually have 3 'go to' bheads for the game I am after....and a 'follow up' bhead for that same animal of a different design just in case....and a small game bhead....and my judo...yep, they all fly the same.

You have a tuning issue.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
They should not fly differently than field points of the same weight.

Can depend, certainly, on your broadhead of choice.  Simply because of the fact that if there is a tuning flaw in your set-up a broadhead will amplify the problem.  Bigger broadhead - more area for leverage.  It is no coincidence highly maneuverable air-to-air missiles have steering vanes up front.

Somewhere I have a book that lists the problems of when your broadheads strike differently than field points and what to do to correct it.  Are yours hitting specifically to another point on the target or just "knuckle-balling" wildly downrange?  One of my former bosses used to say it was alright to make mistakes as long as they were consistant - you can fix those.

My broadhead arrows actually fly better than my field points.  That is because I make up two dozen arrows at a time.  I then shoot them all with field points and eventually select the best 12 for broadheads.  I also prefer a narrow broadhead, which seems to help.

Another thought - if your broadhead is significantly longer than the field points it will lower the effective spine of the arrow . . . even though it weighs the same.  You have made a longer arrow with weight further forward.  Those will hit to the right of the fieldpoints.

Finally, did you spin test the broadheads to make sure they were mounted perfectly straight?  That is critical IMHO.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
T
Another thought - if your broadhead is significantly longer than the field points it will lower the effective spine of the arrow . . . even though it weighs the same.  You have made a longer arrow with weight further forward.  Those will hit to the right of the fieldpoints.
If this is the case, then you are bordeline on spine...same as if you can't add 20 grains to your broadhead or take away 20 grains....you are too borderline on spine.

I may have 150 grain to 225 grains in my quiver, and all are on the same spined arrow...and all fly great.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Ditto what Stumpkiller said about long broadheads. They increase your spine requirements slightly, so if your broadheads are spinning true you may be marginal to the weak side in your tuning.

Like Terry, I use different heads at different times, but they all shoot the same.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:

On another note, now that you've got some heads maybe it's time to get out hunting......
Bowhunting is just not legal here, maybe if I go next door to Finland or Latvia.

Thanks for the replies I will do some alignment checking and experimenting with FOC to see if I can correct problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©