Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Going from split finger to 3 under??? What do you think??  (Read 2134 times)

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Going from split finger to 3 under??? What do you think??
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Tried it for a week 2 years ago and never went back.

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
I shoot split finger and anchor with pointer finger in corner of mouth.I dont sight down the arrow and only use overall sight picture.I shoot with three finger under shooters and find they really have to aim to hit.I have put thought to it and think you have to practice trusting your aim.I think it gives me better bow hand control also because of the lower anchor.Some bows are built to shoot split finger best.

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Keep the thoughts coming...thanks

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I started with split finger then switched over to 3 under 6 months. Didn't like it so I went back to split finger.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I shot split fingers from day one. Then last year I'd thought I try three under. I'm still shooting it and not looking back.

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I switched a while back. Wasn't consistent at all with split finger.  It was like night and day after I started shooting three under.  Groups got tighter, got more confident, was able to focus on certain aspects of my form better. Took a little time to get used to, but works great for me.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Ok, all the hub bub i have read here on this site about three under verses split. I have shot split since 1969 as that is the way i was taught. Two days ago i went out and tried the three under. After ten shots or so i was hitting better and more consistent at longer range with the ole Pronghorn. And i can see all the positive things wrote in this thread about it. So the only problem i have to work on is the psychological aspects of it being new to me.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline LJOHNS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
The best trad shooters I know all shoot three under.  I am going to switch when I get another trad bow this winter.  I have always shot split but I need a change.  I think having the arrow closer to the eye has to help with accuracy.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I gave 3 under a try this summer and liked it however it also caused the serving on 3 strings to unravel after about a week of shooting on each one. I shoot a FF endless loop on a Toelke Longbow. Does anyone know why this might have happened?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
I was having trouble being consistant with my shooting. Inside walls of barns were safe with me around.  :knothead:   So I have been working on several aspects of my shooting form to bring it up to hunting quality. I tried 3 under and so far am happy. Biggest improvement so far is no more pinching of the inside of my index finger. Less discomfort means better shooting sessions.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline roadhogtom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
I went to an event to see Stacey Grosscup shoot aspirin out of the air, and got the chance to talk to him. He shot "Apache" style. I asked him about it and he said it was better alignment and was more natural for instinctive shooting. I have been shooting that way now for probably 20 years . If a guy is shooting aspirin out of the air consistantly, and says "do this", I'm doing it.

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
I just recently switched to 3under, it seems much more natural. I have not noticed any  difference in noise.
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I have recently switched to 3under and so far I like it better. I have not noticed any difference in noise.
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Well I just made the switch today.  First thing I did was to raise my nock point up towards 1" and then started to tune.  First thing you notice is the arrows impact much lower as your dead on point is much closer than split fingering. By the time my tune was done my nock point was back down towards 1/2". I started off with my anchor point in the corner of my mouth as I have always done.  By mid afternoon I was concentrating on a new anchor point at my cheek bone....much higher, but more consistent anchoring to a hard point on my face.  I shot one arrow at a time the rest of the day....moving around my shooting area at ranges from 10 - 30 yards.  I have to say that accuracy and form has improved tremendously and I look forward to grooving things in over the next several weeks.  I am just returning to my longbows after10 years off....this change is helping me get back to good shooting much quicker....must have had a lot of bad form habits in the 90's and prior...but I shot well then with daily practice as I didn't know any better.  This forum is definitely helping me to become a better shot, and thus a better hunter when I return to that with Spring Turkeys.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I think that 3 under,or split, doesn't make a whole lot of differrence.
Probably the way we were taught, and what ever feels comfortable and gives the desired results.
I shoot 3 under, and have tried split, but feel the most comfortable and accurate with the 3 under.
Which ever one you choose, give them a fair assesment, and follow that venue that works the best for you.
No one way is best for all of us.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
I am knew to the traditional world but 3-under is a the best way to shoot for me. 3-under seemd to be a more forgiving way to shool

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
I like the three under alot better, when I try split finger now i'm lucky to hit the target.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I am going out this afternoon and will give three under a try.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
OK I tried it. Three under is now my shooting method. Once I got a consistent anchor, My 10 yard groups shrank in half and my 20 yard groups are much better. It does seem to be a little noisier on my Palmer.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I shoot both ways.  Started with split, went to 3-under 2years ago and now I play with both.  95% of my shooting is 3under, but every once in a while I'll stay within 15 yards go split and practice crazy cants of the bow.  Did this because hunting out of a tent blind with my daughter and a 64" longbow made us get creative canting the bow!  I'll never be a great tournament shooter, but under 20 yards I don't feel limited by form.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©