Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Longbow to recurve  (Read 447 times)

Offline ravenwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow to recurve
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Hello, how do we shoot a bear super kodiak recurve off the shelf, when the arrow is ALOT futher from hand? compared to a longbow, where arrow is closer to hand? Thoughts? Best to you and yours; Ravenwolf;

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow to recurve
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Interestingly, when Fred Asbell wrote about longbows in Instinctive Shooting, he voiced the same issue when switching from recurves to longbows, because the way he grips a longbow puts his hand further away from the arrow than when he shoots a recurve.

The answer is, just shoot the thing, and let your brain figure it out.  Most people shoot a recurve with the same natural cant 99% of the time, so any error introduced by the distance between your hand and the arrow is constant, and pretty soon you don't notice it.

Even when you cant your bow more than your normal cant, if you cant your head to match the cant of the bow, the arrow still seems to go where you're looking.  There may be an error or an inch or so, but frankly, if I'm within an inch or so of my mark, I consider it to be a hit.  The error is not an angular error, which would increase with distance, but a constant error, so the 2" error stays 2" as the range increases, so is soon lost in the variety of other errors that I introduce in my shooting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Your brain will compensate and, eventually, have your bow arm where it needs to be.  If you switch back and forth it's going to take a few arrows to get back in the groove.

I, too, have my arm closer to the arrow with my recurves.  My longbow (old style grip) makes my wrist hinge while I keep a high wrist with my recurves,
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
For me...I've found its all about the sight picture.

I showed a few people that by holding my bow by the lower fad out and making a kill shot on a 3d.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ravenwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks to all, for helping me get focused. I want to shoot in my barn this winter. Best to you and yours; Ravenwolf;

Offline SOLDIERII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Im a gap shooter and its never been an issue.
SoldierII

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©