Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Closed Stance  (Read 833 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Closed Stance
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Does anyone else find their alignment easier to achieve with a slightly closed stance?  I find I am most comfortable and consistent with my front foot at about 12:30, maybe 1 o'clock.

Everything I've read so far says you need to be parallel or preferably open stanced for "balance", but I feel most balanced with my stance closed.  

As I'm relatively new, I'd like to correct this stance before it gets ingrained if it will be a major problem, or know if this is acceptable for some body types/builds.

Any closed stance shooters out there?
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Closed Stance
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
From what I understand, the allignment of your shoulders is more important than the allignment of your feet.  Are your shoulders alligned open, square, or closed to the target?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I can shoot open or closed stance.
USMC 82-86

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
S.C., to get my shoulders square to the target I must close my stance.
Michigan Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
If I don't think about it, then my stance starts out closed.  I think it feels natural for some reason.  My shoulders are square to the target. Could be due to my older lower back injury....
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Terry Green's video kind of opened my eyes to this, but it doesn't really matter if you stand open, square, or closed to the target, because you can rotate your waist so your shoulders are square to the target.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
You might have that backwards (or at least partially so).  The closed stance, or "square stance" is with your toes in line with the target and everything parallel - hips, shoulders.  This is what they taught us for target archery.  

An open stance, or partially open, is when you pull your forward foot back and twist your hips (and bring the arrow shoulder in) out of parallel with the target.

Instead of your toes at 12:00 and 6:00 they are 11:00 and 6:00.  You aim (or adjust) at the hips, twisting for "windage" or compensating by leaning from the pelvis for deflection angle.  (Archery, after all, is a martial art - and all punches, thrusts, blocks and kicks start at the pelvis).  If you are a still-hunter or trapped in a tree-stand you don't have the luxury of counting on a closed stance.  You should practice with your feet in all kinds of odd positions, including heels towards target (and if you can't do that you are likely over-bowed).

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
You might have that backwards (or at least partially so).  The closed stance, or "square stance" is with your toes in line with the target and everything parallel - hips, shoulders.  This is what they taught us for target archery.  

An open stance, or partially open, is when you pull your forward foot back and twist your hips (and bring the arrow shoulder in) out of parallel with the target.

Instead of your toes at 12:00 and 6:00 they are 11:00 and 6:00.  You aim (or adjust) at the hips, twisting for "windage" or compensating by leaning from the pelvis for deflection angle.  (Archery, after all, is a martial art - and all punches, thrusts, blocks and kicks start at the pelvis).  If you are a still-hunter or trapped in a tree-stand you don't have the luxury of counting on a closed stance.  You should practice with your feet in all kinds of odd positions, including heels towards target (and if you can't do that you are likely over-bowed).

What is it called when your right foot is slightly behind your left foot (right hand shooter)?  Like opposite of the second picture?
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Statedriller, that would be a closed stance.
USMC 82-86

Offline D.H. Todd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
personally, I shoot wide open, and have to really watch my right shoulder due to an old injury.
My form is terrible but it's the only way I can pull a bow now!
D.H.
"never mind  did I see the size of the danged horns - did you put an arrow in it or NOT??!!"

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

As far as it being an overbow issue, I have these alignment issues even without a bow in my hands, standing in front of a mirror.  Though I'm only 37 yrs old I have very limited flexibility.
Michigan Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
The diagrams above are exactly correct.  I would point out however that the stance ONLY supports the power unit!  We teach the stance to get the proper posture so that the power unit is lined up correctly.  Once proper power unit alignment is learned, then the support unit can be varied greatly to get the shot.  The shooter knows what is needed to get the shot.  Hunting, stumping or 3D seldom allow the luxury of a formal stance. We are on uneven ground, kneeling,squatting, you name it.

Beginners are usually taught the square stance but as they progress, we give them the open stance to get the "twist" from the pelvis to the shoulders that creates core tension and adds stability.  In all cases, the shoulder alignment in relation to the target is absolutely of top importance for accurate shooting.  Many times here, someone is advised to "open their stance" to prevent string slap.  The stance has NOTHING to do with that!  

An open stance will cause you to slightly tense your stomach muscles to turn your shoulders toward target alignment, a square or closed stance will probably not use those muscles to align the shoulders.  Not a real problem if you know what is really needed at full draw for proper alignment.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
I'm just starting to shoot again after a few years off.....okay 10 years.  Having read/watched all the form info on this site I decided to really work on achieving what Terry illustrates with alignment and back tension to get that clean, straight release.  A somewhat closed stance has helped me to be able to round my bow shoulder and elbow at full draw around towards my spine.  While I do practice all kinds of angles and positions...the closed stance has helped me learn to feel what my upper body is supposed to be doing.  If it works the same for your alignment, and with good results....then you're probably on the right track.  After all...we all want our form to become a part of our subconscious so we don't have to think about it too much in a hunting situation.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
What is it called when your right foot is slightly behind your left foot (right hand shooter)? Like opposite of the second picture?
"Shooting at your neighbor's target"?  "Shooting over your shoulder"?  Or maybe "Asking for trouble"?       :thumbsup:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
I shoot a slightly closed stance, just about as you describe.  I found that when I "blind bale" from a distance of 5-10 yards that I can pick a spot, close my eyes and mentally picture it as I draw, anchor, and release and come scary close most of the time.  If a square up or open my stance, I usually shoot left, so I assume that slightly closed is most natural for me.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
I shoot with the 'closed' stance, meaning my left foot is more forward than the right foot (i'm right handed) and it just feels more natural.  

I think everyone is different to a certain degree and that there is no 'universal' way of doing things.  I'm just using what feels right to me.  This stance also helps me more in hunting situations, especially with small game, which there is an abundance where i live.  These critters don't stand still long enough for shot a good percentage of the time.
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline Carbon Jack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I shoot slightly closed when given a choice like when casually target shooting indoors. Outside while hunting or shooting 3D I tend to be more flexible and put my feet wherever they can find some balance point. No big deal.

Jack

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I also shoot with a closed stance and thought i was doing wrong. But I've been doing fine this way.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
If you are properly aligned....stance makes no difference at all.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Personally, I prefer an open stance as shown in the diagram on page 1 (right). I do however turn my right foot a bit different and keep it parallel to my left foot. I believe that this stance for me anyway keeps my alignment in a better position to accept back tension. As others have mentioned however, this may not be possible in a hunting situation.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©