Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: When everything seems the same but arrow flaps  (Read 490 times)

Offline Gulf Coast Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
When everything seems the same but arrow flaps
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I haven't been back to shooting for long (a couple of weeks) but I noticed something.  Every 10-15 shots, when I am pretty sure I am shooting the same way, my arrow seems to slap the bow and kick the fletching out so the arrow doesn't strike the target straight on at all.

I am shooting left handed, yet the arrows that do this have the fletching way off to the left of the point.

I know its something that I am doing but I can't tell what.  It really is like the fletching is slapping the bow.  Any ideas?
Chris

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When everything seems the same but arrow flaps
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Usually brace height is low or the arrow spine too weak..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Is there a good online reference to walk through the basics so I can start understanding them?
Chris

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Torqueing the bow or the bowstring can also cause this problem.  If your arrows are all spined the same (aluminum or carbon), some form problem would be the more likely culprit than arrow spine, since this only happens occasionally.

To see if you are torqueing the bow or the bowstring, relax your bow hand at full draw, let your fingers and thumb spread out, and see if the bow wants to change its angle.  If it does, you are torqueing the bow or the bowstring or both.

You should be shooting with the back of your string hand flat, and your string forearm relaxed.  Your back muscles should be doing most of the pulling, especially toward the end of the draw.  Your bow hand should be holding the bow loosely enough that it is not exerting any twisting force on the bow (but not so loosely that you have to grab the bow when you release the arrow).  Pay particular attention to your bowhand thumb; it is easy to not notice that it is pressing against the bow handle.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  The tuning page is awesome.  Helps me to understand everything Sooooo much better.  Answers a lot of other questions I didn't even know I had.   :)
Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©