3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow tuning for first time?  (Read 262 times)

Offline ed209

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow tuning for first time?
« on: November 18, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
I'm trying to tune my first set of arrows, CX Heritage 150's, and I need some insight from you guys.  I'm drawing 45# at 27.5" and I decreased my arrow length down to 29 1/4".  

Shooting this combo with 175 grains up front gave me a good bare shaft shot at 20 yards.  However at 10 yards the nock is significantly left indicating a weak spine.  Do I shorten the shaft again or are the 20 yard results a better indicator than 10 yards.  

What distance do you guys use/recommend when you bare shaft your arrows?

And does a a CX 150 at 29 1/4 inches with 175 grains up front seem like a good starting point for my draw length of 27.5 at 45#?

Thanks for the help.

EWW

Offline Longbow Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow tuning for first time?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
How are they grouping with the fletched arrows? if group together then install some broadheads on the fletched arows and see if they group and shoot

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
I have bare shaft tuned many many bows. A CX 150 should be too stiff for 45 lbs if cut that short. If you are left handed, and the nock hits left, it is too stiff. If you are right handed, it is too weak. My experience tells me you need a shaft of about 30-31 " to be weak enough, or a lot more weight.
It is possible that the shaft is so stiff it is kicking so hard off the riser you are getting a mis reading of too weak. Also, if you cant your bow a lot, a nock high can be misread as improper spine.
John

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
What John said. I shoot them cut to 29.5"s out of my 54# at my 28.5" draw RER Arroyo and I shoot 175 up front. If you want them to fly at that length for ya, than you will need close to 300 grains up front. I also have been shooting the same arrow out of a 57# Ballistik and reduced point weight to 145 grains for good flight and these are both some of the most high performance recurves out there and both are cut well past center. Shawn
Shawn

Offline JrsyBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
i agree with the guys too about being way overspined for a 45lb bow, i'am shooting a bob lee signature at 57lbs 28 inch draw and i'am shooting the heritage 150's cut to 29 inches with a 125 grain broadhead and another 100 grains of weight added to the back of the insert to get my arrows to tune.
Steven Siegert

Offline ed209

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
The kicking of the arrow to the right due to being overspined may explain it.  I noticed that when I shot the arrow the nock point did kick way out to the right during the initial part of the flight.

I'm shooting a Checkmate Falcon in case that helps.  

I only cut two arrows to that length so the rest are full length.  

If I wanted to use a lenght of 30 inches how much weight would I need to put in front?  I'm only looking for a rough estimate.  Or would 30 inches still be way overspined?

Thanks for the help guys I think I'm getting there.

EWW

Offline ed209

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Sorry,  when I shost the arrow the nock point kicked way out to the left not to the right.

EWW

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »
You might want to try OL's bareshaft tuning method on his site.Its not actually OL's but Easton developed it years ago.Its just easier from here to go to that site.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©