Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: First filming  (Read 1048 times)

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First filming
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
A couple of questions.

I read the following from the tuning guide that was recommended: Next, set the brace height at the low end of the bowyers recommendation, just twist or untwist the string to set the brace height.

How do I know what that is?

#2. I wear a glove to shoot and my the tip of my finger is squashy with the glove on. I don't feel rock solid using it to find my anchor tooth. Any thoughts/tips?

Thanks!
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
If you call the bowyer who made your bow, he will probably tell you what the recommended brace height should be.  Otherwise, with the type recurve you are shooting, 8" might be a good place to start.  Then try 8 1/4" and 8 1/2" and see what shoots best.  The brace height is measured with a bow square from the string to the deepest part of the grip.

You want your fingers to reach the end of the glove, otherwise you won't get a clean release.  The glove should fit as snugly as possible while still allowing you to hook your fingers.

First learn to draw the bow to full draw, then find an anchor.  As Terry mentioned, "I think you are cheating yourself out of a bit more draw length."  When you come to full draw, your finger may be further back than your current anchor tooth.  Find something else to anchor on, like your thumb knuckle against your jawbone, for example.  Something that is convenient when you come to full draw, not something that is arbitrary and forced.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
BTW, Ken Beck of Black Widow Bows has a good section on tuning arrows in Masters of the Barebow II.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Ok, thanks. I'll check with Chad. I have a chek-mate hunter 2.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©