Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Right handed Left Eye  (Read 834 times)

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
Right handed Left Eye
« on: December 19, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
How many of you are Right Handed Shooter and are Left Eye Dominant,How do you shot,Split finger Instictive,or 3 under instictive/indirect aiming

Offline Blake Fischer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Right handed Left Eye
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Flood,

I am right handed and left eye dominant.  I shoot left handed, it is a little harder to get used to, but I shoot twice as good now than when I shot right handed.  I started shooting a longbow right handed at age 5, and switched when I was about 28, so I had 23 years of training to overcome.  The beauty of switching is that I got away from several bad habits.

Good Luck, it can be done, and is by far the most effective way to do it.  Also, you'll have a bunch of right handed bows to sell.

Blake

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I am right handed but blind in my right eye. 20/4000 vision.  I shot right handed and have had no problem at all shooting instictive.  Split fingers.I can not and do not look down my arrow or use it as a referance.  I think of throwing a ball.  you do not need both eyes to throww a ball. Elevation comes from practice. Plying around I have tryed to use my left eye to aim the arrow. It was not a good time trying to find arrows all over the yard.  Start closes, 5 yards.  Aim draw point shoot.
capt eddie

Offline MicArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
i'm the same as you, right handed left eye, i now shoot left handed, was actually a pretty easy transition. i am a much better shooter after making the switch.

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
My thoughts are,if you are concentrating on the spot,shoot instictive,what diffrence does it make,but people chime in about switching to lefty and doing better,did every one of them switch to left handed bow shooting also start throwing baseball,horseshoes ect..left handed?

Offline marc_groleau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »
I'm lefty but r.e.d. I started shooting right handed right from the get-go. It's a lot easier to switch when beginning something new. Switching to right hand shooting also helps because so much more equipment out there is geared to right handers. I also eventually switched my gun handling to right hand. It worked for me. I don't switch when it comes to other activities as they are just not that important to me.

Regards,
Marc

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
go with you dominant eye mate you will never look back. i was right handed l.e.d and it was a pain in the ass too try shoot both eyes open and doing the one eye closed thing is ok but with the eye right over the arrow you get tunnel vision and that eye will want to focus on the arrow not the target, witch limits you to gap shooting only.i made the switch and will never look back trust me ive been were u are now and did more research than you could possibly think of. people will say a lot of different things but just get your self a cheap lefty and put you r/h bow in the shed and tell youself im not going to tuch it for a week and see how you go left handed. make shore its a nice and light bow to start with you will suprised how weak you will be going left.
Those who hunt miss... those who don't hunt miss far more.
Time spent without bow or rod in hand is time forever wasted.

Offline wheelie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I am right handed and got blind in my right eye. 3 yrs ago, I bought a left 50# hoyt bow used and sat infront of the TV all winter trying to pull it back. After a month or so I could pull to full draw. Now I have 7 lefthand bows and only kept one right handed for my oldest son to use.
Now I can't even pull back a right hand bow and it feels wired. I refused to give up bow hunting because of it.

Offline frank the hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
i am l.i.d and shoot right side i dont have any problems with it. i dont no were the arrow is i just look at the spot i want to hit and the arrow just gos their. if i have to line up the arrow to shoot then i would go back to sights.

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
If you shoot instinctive it does not matter.  I've shot right handed with a left dominant eye for 30+ years as have many excellent shooters I've worked with over the years.  Fred Bear and Howard Hill switched back and forth.

However, if you wish to shoot with another aiming method (gap etc.) you will do much better if your dominant eye matches your shooting hand.  If I were to decide to try another aiming method I feel I'd have to switch to a left handed bow.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I am right handed, left eye dominant, and shoot a RH bow.
I was told I would be better off to shoot a LH bow. Rather than switch,(too many expensive RH bows), I began to try and "retrain" my vision to become RED.
What I do is blink a few times slowly,with my left eye, as I draw back the bow.
The blinking seems to trigger a shift so that my right eye seems to take over aiming. My accuracy is way up using this method. It is just one way, and it works for me .... for now anyway.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline silvertip73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
I am in the process of switching to left hand after being left eye dominant.  Tough to do after shooting righty for so long but I want to make sure I am as accurate as I can be.  If it does not work I can always go back.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Right-handed and (barely) left-eye dominant. I shoot left handed. I shoot focusing on the target an seeing in the periphery the arrow. Works very well. And you're less tempted by the available used bows, since there's so few lefties.
Marco

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
I know several people who are left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I think if you keep both eyes open then your natural ability will compensate.

Offline FightingCelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Greetings,

As a firearms instructor I would recommend shooting according to your dominant eye.  I personally am right handed and left eye dominant.  I shoot handguns right handed and left eyed.  I fire long guns left handed and left eyed.  I recieved this same advice from a Range NCO at Bragg many years ago and have never looked back.  BTW...I"m back to recurve (35yrs) and purchased a #45 LH bow...I feel comfortable and confident regarding left handed and left eye shooting....Good Luck and Train Hard!
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
supposed to be surrounded.

1972 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Pray, and let God worry.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
I'm right handed and left eye dominant.  I shoot split instinctive.  It's working for me so far....
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I made the switch about a year ago after 50 years of shooting, worked out great.

Looking to trade left hand bows for right hand.
                                       George

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
I shoot right handed, left eye dominate. Actually if I concentrate, I can choose which eye is dominate in any of the test. Id say my eyes are pretty close to equal, however if Im trying to see something small, I find Im using my left eye. That being said, I shoot pretty well, but on occation I get some flyers or some not so good groups. The elevation generally is on, but my left/right is off. This seems to be attributed to my eyes switching back and fourth on dominance. I have done the slight wink with my left eye, and it helps sometimes. Closing my left altogether gets me some great shots, but cost me in low light and depth perception. I shoot 3 under and while I think Im just focusing on the target, I do see the arrow blurred in my vision. I have to believe that if it was under my dominate eye, it should be at least lined up left/right with what Im focusing on. I think its time to find a cheap lefty and give it a whirl.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline kevshin21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 03:51:00 AM »
I am right handed and left eye so I shoot with my left. I tried with my right eye and all my arrows were hitting where I don't want them to!

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot left handed bows far better than right handed bows, instinctive or not.

For me shotting left handed came very easy. It was the arrow handling, bow carying, quiver carying ect..... that is still taking work. I always find myself going for the right hand when doing things that take dexterity like placing the arrow on the string.
Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©