Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Release tips  (Read 933 times)

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
Release tips
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Hey guys, I used the search function but going back a few pages I didn't see any good posts about this.

My release needs some help. I am pretty crisp sometimes and then start plucking the string. I am looking for a some tips on working a clean release.

I haven't had much time to shoot lately, and due to that my form has suffered and I may be overbowed, but I have several lower weight bows to work with.

Anyway, please give me a couple thoughts or good resources (internet if possible).

Thanks,
Jethro
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Release tips
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Speaking from personal experiance, if you are overbowed, your problems with form will get worse.  It sounds like you shoot well when you start but start having problems as you get tired.  You are able to get some good shots off if you concentrate but you usually end up rushing your shot.  FWIW, I would shoot the lighter bows and concetrate on form, accuracy will follow.  Shoot the heavier bow at the end of the session for a limited number of arrows.  I would use the heavier bow each day for strength exercises until I could manage it comfortably.  Bill

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Jethro21,

The secret for the release is to have a relaxed string arm and wrist.  The ONLY tension should be just enough tension in the tendons in the forearm to hold the hook in your fingers.  Then at full draw when ready to shoot, just relax the fingers and let the string slip away.  You cannot open your fingers fast enough to clear the string and that often leads to a flip of the hand to the side (plucking).  If you are able to relax those fingers, they will remain slightly curled after the shot.  If they are sticking straight out, you didn't relax them you tried to open them.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Moeboe thank you for that. I think I under stand how to release the string now. Ok so is there anyway to practice this with out shooting while just setting around the house. I dont get home from work tell after dark most days.

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Good answers guys, thats the help I was looking for
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
rezeen

One way that works well uses either a "thera band" (one of those tubular rubber bands used in therapy) or just a simple rope cord (think parachute cord or something like that.)  Make a loop in either that you can step in and have it long enough to hook with your string fingers at your side with your arm straight.  Just hook the loop as though you had a bow string in your fingers, apply tension by lifting your shoulder a little.  Then concentrate on relaxing your fingers so the band/string "pops" out of your fingers.  Doing this will give you the feel of the bowstring and what you want to feel when you release the string.

If this helps, great.  If not let me know and I'll try to post a short video of the process.  But that may take a couple days.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Try a formaster. Check the archives. You can make one fairly easily.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 02:43:00 AM »
As Moebow said you need to learn to relax muscles in Forearm (Flexor) and not fingers, a good way to do this is get a large paint pot hold it at arms length to your side and learn to relax those Flexor muscles.

The other stuff suggested like the band and Formaster work but this method I think is less complicated as the arm is alread relaxed at side of body and allowing you to just focus on learning this one task.

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
The Archery in the schools program, which uses wheelies (sidenote), starts the teaching of archery by having each person make a 'stringbow'. Nothing more than a cord slightly larger than a bow string which can be gripped in the bow hand and comes to the person's personal draw length. Same notion as mentioned with the tubing (with the tubing resistance). I keep one in my office for 'practice' - i think Kidwell, in his book suggests this type practice can be effective.
best
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
The way I use to release works every time. And you'll say %#@&. This will stop all your bad habbits.
  Just when you release,release with your bottom finger first.The other 2 has to follow suit.It's natural.Once you start the process it can't be stoped. No plucking helps with traget panic. Just pick a spot touch your ankor release bottom finger first.I've started doing this 26 years ago.When I switched to a recurve.
  Well I CAN'T TAKE ALL THE DUES. A GUY NAMED HOWARD HILL RELEASED THIS WAY.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
You've got some varied thoughts, so I just as well give one too.  :^)  My thoughts would be this:  If you want a better "release" quit thinking about it.  Follow me here...please.

You already have a built-in release.  You've done it enough that your mind knows how to do it.  To my notion, it's one part of the shot sequence that should "never" be prompted.  

My advice would be to come to full draw, engage your tension and while in that "maintainable state", concentrate on going to conclusion.  Your conclusion can be anything that takes place after the arrow has left the bow.  For example hitting your shoulder or earlobe with your fingers, or even the arrow hitting the target.  

Again:  NEVER think about the "release", rather concentrate on going to conclusion.  The release will automatcally take place somewhere in between maintainable state and conclusion.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 05:24:00 AM »
Jim your absolutely correct and a valid point BUT a lot of Archers are trying to release using fingers which results in inconsistent shots, by first learning how to relax the right muscles you can then progress to that next (automatic) level your suggesting.

With many aspects of my shot sequence (including aim) I first have to understand it on a conscious level before I can transfer into the subconsious.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Good posts from Jim & Steve!  

A few things I've learned about release:

1) If you put your fingers on the string the same way every time, they will come off the same way.  This helps with consistency.

2) There is no such thing as "release".  It's just what happens between being immersed in aiming and follow through to conclusion.  Like Jim posted, never think release, think "commit to conclusion".

3) You want the curl of your fingers to be close to the same both before and after the string leaves.  Learning this helps avoid plucking.  The lady Korean Olympic archer is a good example of this. (I can't remember here name right now)

4) If you are thinking about your fingers (or anything else) instead of being totally immersed in aiming, you should go to the blank bale and the bridge to take your "commit to conclusion" to the subconscious level.  As Steve posted, first conscious, then enough repititions to take it to subconscious.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Good stuff on this thread...'Conclusion, Commit, Immersion'(Len Cardinale's words BTW).....just don't tell yourself to release.  That is what they are saying.

I'll add...if your drawing arms energy is going directly away from the target, you will also get a cleaner release....your release hand has no where to go except straight back.  

Yeah, I've said it time and time again..... being properly aligned cures a MULTITUDE of flaws....including a very important mental one.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
So on my release, should my release arm go back or stay in place at my anchor?

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
I have seen people shoot good both ways. my hand and arm go straight back but that is how I have trained my self on a blind bale to do it. if you concentrate on pulling through the bow will just go off. if you are thinking about the release it will cause plucking and other things.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
An anchor point should never be a resting place......

But instead,...... an evolution to execution.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Jethro21,

Here's a link that you find (at least parts of) interesting.  Pay paticular attention to #9. Aiming & Expansion

http://www.kslinternationalarchery.com/Technique/KSLShotCycle/KSLShotCycle-USA.html

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 02:50:00 AM »
Nice Jim, I like the part about aiming being just another step in the shot sequence, I see a lot of people put so much effort into aiming that it affects their form in a negative way.

I'm a student of coach Kim so interesting to read coach Lee's thoughts and compare so thanks for the link.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Aiming is the 1st thing I do ...and I never 'think' about my stance.  My subconscious puts me and my body in the correct position to make the shot.

I never really have to 'think' about anything....just focus totally on the animal waiting for the shot to appear....the rest runs automatically.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©