Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Methods of shooting  (Read 472 times)

Offline ToddT

• Trad Bowhunter
Methods of shooting
« on: December 29, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I normally shoot with a compound, but a couple years ago I took an interest in traditional equipment. I have a bear kodiak magnum that I really like. I also built a selfbow from osage orange. I did manage to kill a doe with the kodiak - perfect shot at about 18 yards, she ran only about 50 yards before expiring. It seems I have more FUN shooting the stick bow, BUT, I also get more frustrated than with my compound. I feel confident to hit a pieplate every time out to about 15 yards. I have put down the traditional bows for a little over a year now, but my interest is back, so I have a few questions.

I learned how to shoot with 2 fingers under and 1 finger over the arrow. But a friend shoots with 3 fingers under the arrow by a couple inches and looks down the arrow. I tried this method and with a few quick adjustments was hitting almost as good as with my original shooting method - but I adapted to it much more quickly than with my original technique.

I have heard about gap shooting, pure instinctive and there may even be a few other forms that I can't recall, BUT, what are your thoughts on these individual styles? If there is one, what is the overall best sighting method?

Also, is a tab better than a glove?

Lastly, any tips that you can think of for someone who is essentially a greenhorn at traditional archery? Thanks for any help.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Methods of shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by ToddT:

I have heard about gap shooting, pure instinctive and there may even be a few other forms that I can't recall, BUT, what are your thoughts on these individual styles? If there is one, what is the overall best sighting method?

Also, is a tab better than a glove?

Lastly, any tips that you can think of for someone who is essentially a greenhorn at traditional archery? Thanks for any help.
No one aiming system it better than the other, it's more about the persons physical\\mental makeup, some feel more comfortable with Gap where others are better suited to Instinct, my advice give them all a fair shot and decide what's working best for you.

Tab is all round better for smoother release but glove has some advantages in Bowhunting and cold weather situations and not so easily lost.

Find a coach or mentor or plenty a good books and DVD's around, getting the basics right from the start will save you a heap of Form problems later on down the road.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
If you asked 500 of us here you'd get 500 different answers to each question and you'd be more confused than ever.  My advice is to do searches and read, read, read.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I'll have to repeat what others have said, there is no one "best" method.  What's best is what works for you.  I tend to subscribe to the Howard Hill/Byron Ferguson method of shooting.  I see the arrow in my lower peripheral vision and align it with the target.  Hill was quoted as saying that he had "seen a lot of instinctive shooters but never seen a good one".  I have to admit that nowadays I often don't remember seeing the arrow.  The same holds true when I shoot combat handgun.  I know I see the front sight but I don't remember doing so.  It has all become an automatic process.

I started off shooting split finger, changed to three-under, and eventually changed back to split.  My avatar photo shows me back when I shot three-under.  Three-under brought the arrow closer to my eye level.  This helped me see the arrow and aid in alignment.  It never felt completely comfortable or natural however.  Later on I experimented with split finger again and found I shot just as accurately.  Not that I'm any champion shooter, mind you.  I think the whole shooting process had become automatic by that point though.

As for other tips, here are a couple.  First, don't overbow yourself.  If you can't come to full draw and hold it for at least three seconds without shaking, you are overbowed.  Learn to shoot before you start increasing the poundage.  Second, and this one was really hard for me to learn, don't shoot too many arrows in a given period of time.  Spread out the shots you make timewise.  I was once the Master of the Empty the Quiver Quickly Technique.  I was the archery equivalent of a machine gunner.  My shooting wasn't getting any better and I couldn't understand why.  As a matter of fact, my shooting got worse.  The why was because my concentration would slip as my muscles grew tired.  I was having so much fun that I'd just keep shooting though.  Now I usually shoot one arrow, walk to the target and pull it, pet the dog, walk back to wherever I'm going to shoot from next, etc.  You get the idea.  Howard Hill was known to keep a bucket of arrows at the door to his shop and another by the back door to his house.  Every time he walked from one to the other, he stopped and shot a single arrow.

Finally, don't get frustrated and quit.  Trad archery is about accepting limitations.  My max range with my flintlock is about 75 yards.  I was once confident with a compound out to 40 yards.  My max hunting range with a trad bow is 20 yards and the closer than that the better.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
You will have to read a lot on this other forums to understand the various methods and make your final choice. But I will mention a couple of things. Your Kodiak Magnum is a short bow, which might not be very suitable for three under. Try and see. And for hunting shots to 20 yards, you may not need an aiming method. You could just look at the point you intend to hit and make a smooth shot. Get good at that and you may never need to do more how-to research, just go shoot, a lot. - lbg

Offline bowrocker07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
As many have said, you will have to do tons of reading, as well as experimenting to determine what works for YOU.  There is no "better" form, per say, just whatever fits your shooting style the best.

But, here are some things to think about when experimenting shooting three under:

Another problem you may run into shooting the K Mag three under is the tiller of the bow.  If you have a good positive tiller (meaning the top limb is flexed more than the bottom limb, or ever so slightly weaker), than you may not notice much difference.  However, many of the Bear bows are generally tillered for split finger, meaning the flex in the top limb is more closely matched to the flex in the bottom limb (still usually around 1/8 to 1/4" positive).

When you shoot three under, you put more stress on the lower limb, which often causes an up and down arrow kick coming out of a bow that is tillered for split finger, unless you nock your arrow considerably high.

If you see that shooting three under seams to come more naturally to you, then you may want to seriously consider getting a bow that is tillered for three under.  Doing so will DRAMATICALLY reduce the headaches of arrow tuning!

Hopefully this helps!

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Some key things to start out with is a "bow that fits" not being overbowed as said above...with tuned arrows..
 And the big one "being consistent" having a consistent anchor.. If you have these, you're well ahead of the game.
  The type of shooting you do doesn't really matter as long as you're "comfortable" doing it that way...
 I've been on some of these forums for a while now , and I've notice one key element missing or not focused on "which is a must".. Having good hand/eye coordination. You'll get that from shooting exercises that do increase accuracy by leaps and bounds ..
  You can shoot for many months or years at any given target, from any distance and not get out of shooting, what you can get from hand/eye coordination routines.
  If you know the right shooting routines it shouldn't take you more then a few hours or a day or two to get to where some are that have been shooting for many years...

PM me if you want more information..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©