Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: first shot only  (Read 713 times)

Offline griffin73

• Trad Bowhunter
first shot only
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
I try to make my first shot of the day my most important but i generally always shoot way low, im not sure if im dropping my arm to watch the arrow or if its something else, after i shoot a couple of times i get dialed in, but it really frustrates me, any advise would be extremely helpful?
kenneth r griffin

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: first shot only
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
I have the same problem. For that reason I always take a practice arrow with me to shoot while on stand. I could never get away from that either. Sometimes I shoot fine the first shot and other times I don't.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I have the same problem so I helped myself  by shooting between 9-12 arrows at my bag from 6' with eyes closed looking just for feel(blank bale). I found it loosens me up and prepares me to shoot.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Same problem here. I do the same as frassettor.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I draw, hold a couple seconds and let down 2 or three times on my way to my stand. I think it helps to losen you up
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
I suggest taking and arrow with a judo point. Take a dozen shots before you leave the truck. Take another now and then as you walk forest and field. In a blind at least take a draw and aim now and then. Got to keep the shooting muscles warm and supple if you expect to make a good shot when the game appears. - lbg

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Practice with one arrow.  Take a shot, retrieve, move back to a different spot/distance and repeat.  I do this with my bag 3-D deer in the morning before I go to work year-round.  

You don't get as much shooting in but, IMHO, it is better practice for a hunter.  Saves on nocks and fletching, too.    ;)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Small game hunting is good practice.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I not so much replied to offer advice as I did to let you know you aint in this thing alone.I'm glad I read your post because I seem to suffer from this.My answer would be to follow the practice a judo shot advice once settled into your stand.I'm sure if you mess it up you wont feel any better about yourself to the contrary you'll probably want to empty your quiver.Hope it works out for you.Things seem to be getting better for me as I've commited to talking my way through each shot.PICK A SPOT/ANCHOR SOLID/LET STRING OPEN HAND!

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
Loosen up prior to shooting.  Do some windmills, draw the bow string several times and anchor.  You may not be getting to full draw.  Any athlete must warm up prior to practice or competition.
Al

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
I think the main idea behind the blank bale shooting is so you don't have to think about it, just pick a spot and the body should know the rest.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
As far as hitting low for the first shot, without seeing you shoot, I will guess either a short draw because your muscles are cold, your bow arm has too much bend or most likely, you are dropping your bow arm to watch the shot.  Working on form will correct all three.  Bill

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I found if I started aiming at a blank deer target without a bullseye I could pick a spot and hit first shot, shooting at a target I had to dial in also.  I shot single arrows like the others and only at blank deer outlines picking a spot relative to the shoulder and my first shot got much better,the shoulder as a reference realy seemed to help.  Now I seem to be over the first shot problems but I always go back to the blank deer outline if I feel I am having problems.  BTW this is from 10-20 yd shots.
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
probably dropping your bow arm if you have a video camera ask your wife or girl friend to film you shooting, any form problems will be apparent... thats what I did.

When I practice I try to exaggerate holding my bow arm up for a longer period ot time than is needed just to keep my follow thru consistant

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Practice from a ellivated stand if you can, you can mark trees ect. around your stand with trail tape ect. with the apprpreate yardage.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
i pretty much do what stumpkiller does, although i usually have 2 arrows i shoot. i think the subsequent walking back and forth helps me to focus on making "the shot."
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©