Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting with Glasses  (Read 1409 times)

Offline gorillabows

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting with Glasses
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Hey Fellas due to a hunting accident that I had on Oct 3rd of 2010 I am without my left eye. The Dr. has strongly suggested that I get a pair of glasses to wear for now on to protect the one good eye that I have left.

Does anyone shoot with glasses? I just got them today, and have yet to try shooting. I dont cant the bow much and because of this I thought that I would see what you guys thought.

thank you and best regards,
Joe

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with Glasses
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your mishap.  

I only wear glasses to see.  For shooting glasses I would recommend something small and close to the eye rather than larger and further out.  The bigger the lens the more distorsion it may have.  If you, like me, tend to look down the arrow it can screw you up big time if the lens distorts the arrow and makes it look curved.  (Or bent, like my bifocals did).

Also, depending on your anchor, if you bump the lens at the last bit of the draw it moves where the arrow appears in relation to the target.  Also big time screw-you-up.  Plain, non-prescription glass might not do this.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bowrocker07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Joe,

Sorry to hear about the accident.  

I have been shooting with glasses for nearly ten years now.  Having shot for years without them, it was quite a change! Since you don't cant the bow much, you shouldn't run into too many problems.  I used to shoot with a pretty sever cant, but had to change my shooting style and cant the bow less to accommodate for my new spectacles.  

As mentioned, I think smaller lenses that fit closer to the eye are a better option than larger lenses.  This gives you the opportunity to shoot longer bows without the string bumping your glasses.

Hopefully this is helpful!  Good luck!

Jeron

Offline gorillabows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Thank you stumpkiller and bow rocker. I wish that I had asked you two before getting the glasses. The ones that I have purchased, are larger and do come off the face a bit. Will need to do some adjusting.

Perhaps a shorter bow would be better?

Joe

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
You may be able to bring them back closer to your face by expanding the nose pieces and curling the ear pieces more.  (Go slowly & carefully or take them to an optician).

Don't know about a shorter bow.  It will change the string angle some but how much depends on your face and anchor.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Joe,  as others have said, sorry to hear about the accident.  I have been wearing glasses for many years to shoot my bow and have not really noticed any difference.  I can shoot the bows I have from 57 to 66 inches and don't notice any issues.  This past year I got my first pair of progressive lenses.  These are a multi-focal lens.  I found that I can't shoot with those at all because the primary focal point is so small.  I just put on my old distance glasses and don't have a problem.  The only glasses that I have found that I can't shoot with are my big Maui Jim sunglasses.  The string touches the lens on some of my bows.  I can still shoot ok, but the wax on the string buggers up the lens.

You might also consider putting a leash on the glasses that will keep them pulled tight to your head and prevent them from sliding down your nose.  Additionally, if you are going to hunt with them you might find that they fog up on those frosty mornings especially if you wear a face mask of any sort.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
I shoot with glasses also.  Like they said keep the glasses close to your eye and use a smaller lens.  It took quite awhile for me to get used to shooting with glasses and sometimes it still gives me fits, I mostly shoot longbows 66' and 68''.  Also less cant seems to work best for me also.

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
I shoot better with my glasses versus contacts.  I also do not cant.  Give it a try and after two weeks of working out the kinks, you should have the answer.  I think it will work out.  Sorry for your loss.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I've never had issues shooting a tradbow with glasses. With my wheelie bow its an issue because the distance from the glasses to the string peep makes a definative difference.
With a tradbow you "should" adjust quite quickly.

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
I have worn glasses all my life to see clearly objects at a distance. The glasses have never interfered with shooting. They do have smaller lenses, and that is probably why they work so well. Sorry about your accident. I think wearing the glasses is a good idea.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Answered my questions, thanks guys.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your accident. I've been wearing glasses since I was about 7. I don't have any trouble shooting with them. Your Drs. advise about saving your remaining eye sounds like good advise. Keep them clean & fitting well, & I don't think you'll have much trouble. Get him to fit you with a pair of Polaroid sunglasses & see the difference in bright light, or bowfishing.
Good luck, I think after just getting used to them you'll do fine.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
All good stuff above. I've worn glasses since age 5. Something I started wearing 2 years ago are the transitions lenses, I love them. Something, perhaps to consider. Best of luck.

http://en-us.transitions.com/en/default.aspx

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
I wear glasses due to a very weak muscle in my left eye. Since they don't really correct my vision, especially in my right eye, I look around them when shooting rather than through them. This eliminates any distortion by the lens. Basically my head is turned enough that I am looking over the nose piece.

I started doing this years ago because sometimes I wore contacts and sometimes glasses. If I looked through em, I had to adjust my sights based on my eyewear. Now it's all instinctive but I still do it.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Textrout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I"m 55 now and have worn glasses since 4 yrs of age.  Use progressive lenses now. The do make some "sport classes" that are tough and designed to protect.  It was unclear whether you have an adjustment in the lense or just a straight lense without correction for protection only.

I don't cant the bow either, but I know I have to work my anchor point/technique around my having glasses some, and you may have to experiment with slight changes too.
Best wishes, and truely sorry for your loss.
One God, One Wife, 6 grandkids, too many jobs, hobbies and things that need to be fed and watered.  I'm a blessed man.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I am nosey enough to ask...what happened in the accident?

I wear glasses now and they really bug me but not seeing well bugs me worse.

I am sorry you got hurt with only one left I would definetely do anything I coudl to protect it.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Couldn't see the target without mine...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I have uncorrectable vision in my right eye. I use glasses all the time, my left eye is nearsighted some; unrelated to  right eye. I have a few different sizes and for archery it does not matter to much what I use. I think because the target is still or just moving slow.

I also shoot trap (shotgun) and thats when I prefer a wider and taller frame for a bigger field of view on fast moving targets.

Also my eye doc told me that statistically having only one eye; you are more likely to damage it than if you had the benefit of two.

So glasses are a really good Idea!
Good Luck...Josh

Offline Lancelot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
I shoot with frameless glasses & that helps a lot.

Lancelot
 <><

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
I am a right hand shooter, left eye dominant.
I shoot with glasses and left eye shut.
Works good.
You will become accustomed to that, dont worry.
I feel sorry for the loss of your eye!
Good luck!
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©