Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting high  (Read 638 times)

Offline bpbyrne

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting high
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
There was a great thread a few days (shooting left) ago which covered some excellent and non-obvious causes of consistently hitting left of target.  Applying these various suggestions has really helped me control left-right variance in my groups - especially using back tension, follow through, not choking the bow to death and watching that anchor.

Are there equivalent common reasons for consistently hitting high for a typical recurve?  Using the same aim point I can occasionally land at the intended elevation, and it feels "right", but most of my shots are going high.  Clearly I'm doing something "right-ish" occasionally but I cant pin it down.

Any thoughts?

Brian

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting high
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
If you do not have a consistent draw length the arrow will fly either faster or slower depending on how far you draw it each time, this will make a big difference in the arrow trajectory.  I'm sure others will chime in with some good ideas also.

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Brently is right on when it comes to draw length.  There is another reason that can cause that and it is your head position.  In archery it is all about repeating the same thing over and over.  So if you have your head high in one shot and then bring it down to the string on another it changes your sight picture whether shooting instinctive or gap.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
I don't think you'd notice much difference due to 1/2" of draw length one way or the other, at distances under 20 yards.

Different pressure points on the grip can cause a big change in tiller and make you shoot high/low.  It's very important to let the bow lie, with equal pressure across your palm. It takes very little pressure to cause horizontal torque.

If it doesn't happen all the time, and if you shoot 3-under, you may have a nock slip problem.  That usually can be corrected with a second nocking point.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 04:27:00 AM »
if it happens all the time, go with it and aim lower.

KISS

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
People that are on the verg of locking there elbow shoot high. SOME TIMES THEY DO SOMETIMES THEY DON'T. It's rare but it happens. Mostly to begainers.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline free2bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
I shoot high when I am tired.  It is easier to pull my bow back if I take a stance that encourages a high draw, so I try to quit when this starts happening.  Otherwise I fear forming some bad habits.  Consequently I reason that being overbowed  causes some to shoot high.  If you can access  a bow five  or ten pounds lighter, see how it goes...

Offline shoothathang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
Don't know how you draw but I had that problem when I shot split fingers.Changed to three under n that fixed that

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
If your anchor drops a little the arrow will go high.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bubinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
In addition to what has been said above, if you are shooting 3 under and don't have a second nock, you might try adding one.  I was having occasional high flyers that I could never pin point the cause.  I talked to Rod Jenkins about it and he suggested the bottom nock point.  Go figure, I tried it and the problem was solved.  Thanks again Rod.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Try a heavier arrow.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
BPByrne I have the same problem. What is happening with me is that my "natural" position at full draw will shoot high every time. I can shoot good groups but high. If I shoot over a 3D target twice quite often both arrows will be side by side.

What I had to do was to consciously bring my bow arm up to a slightly lower position. It felt wierd for a while but I got used to it. Sounds too simple but it worked for me. Give it a try. But remember you have to work at changing the old habit.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
I just switched to 3 under ..again. Done so several times but couldnt get used to it. I saw some dramatic improvements in my accuracy so I am going to give it an honest effort.

That being said, i am also hitting high some of the time. I'm trying to have three points of contact on my anchor. Thumb in jaw joint, middle finger in corner of the mouth and feather touching tip of nose.

Can three under affect spine?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Try moving your knocking point a little.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©