Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: comment my bad form  (Read 782 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
comment my bad form
« on: January 08, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Hi,

made a video of my form and was shocked how bad i drop the bow   :scared:

as dumb as it sounds, how can i get rid of this? (i know...just hold the bow straight...but somehow, i cant) any tips?

any other problems with my form?

any help much apreciated.

the vid is poor quality because it was a small camera and i reduced speed for detail.

Regards
Axel
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Hogcoots

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: comment my bad form
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
I tried to watch your form but for some reason I kept getting distracted.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Maybe that poster... should be blurred... what say you, Hogcoots?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Axel,
A coupe things I would point out.  Your bow arm really never stops on target.  If you watch closely, as you draw, the bow hand goes above the target (that's OK) but when you begin to depress to the target, you NEVER stop ON TARGET.  You just float through in a downward motion and it actually accelerates downward.  Try to stop and hold on target.  Looks like you've developed a habit that will take concentration to change.

Second, and contributing to the bow arm problem is your collapsing release.  Watch the part of the video where you are filming from behind.  You come to full draw with your elbow moving to the left in the picture.  Before you release though, watch that elbow move to the right.  That is a classic collapse.  I find it very common in those that shoot what is called a dead release.  That is not allowing your string hand to move.  What this does is take any tension out of your back and when this happens, the shot is ruined for all intents and purposes.  Many can shoot a dead release well but hardly any can do that WITH a collapse.

That loss of back tension also contributes to a "floppy" bow arm.  A good archery shot MUST be powered by your back muscles and when they are out of the game you have inconsistent shooting.

If we were "face to face" I'd recommend a form master -- I make them and give them to my students.  Some work with that contraption will pay off!  Good luck, and keep videoing yourself and check on your progress.  It's hard to feel if you are doing it right but fairly easy to see.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Axel,
A coupe things I would point out.  Your bow arm really never stops on target.  If you watch closely, as you draw, the bow hand goes above the target (that's OK) but when you begin to depress to the target, you NEVER stop ON TARGET.  You just float through in a downward motion and it actually accelerates downward.  Try to stop and hold on target.  Looks like you've developed a habit that will take concentration to change.

Second, and contributing to the bow arm problem is your collapsing release.  Watch the part of the video where you are filming from behind.  You come to full draw with your elbow moving to the left in the picture.  Before you release though, watch that elbow move to the right.  That is a classic collapse.  I find it very common in those that shoot what is called a dead release.  That is not allowing your string hand to move.  What this does is take any tension out of your back and when this happens, the shot is ruined for all intents and purposes.  Many can shoot a dead release well but hardly any can do that WITH a collapse.

That loss of back tension also contributes to a "floppy" bow arm.  A good archery shot MUST be powered by your back muscles and when they are out of the game you have inconsistent shooting.

If we were "face to face" I'd recommend a form master -- I make them and give them to my students.  Some work with that contraption will pay off!  Good luck, and keep videoing yourself and check on your progress.  It's hard to feel if you are doing it right but fairly easy to see.
Excellent, and worth repeating.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
where are you guys getting those pics of my wife...
i like biscuits

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
What do you mean, your wife !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Your alignment looks pretty good...just need to get rid of that forward creep....and turn it into a reverse creep...that will solve a lot.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
"Reverse creep"....true dat!  Working on this part of your form will force you to steady your bow arm. Ask me how I know....   :biglaugh:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
ok, i know what to do now, gotta find a way how to  doit now.

bad habits die hard i guess, if ya dont kick em, they kick you!

just ordered the bowhunters of tradgang dvds, hope they wil help.
btw, terry, ecerything allright with that order?

thanks alot, axel
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I know this is not an approved method but back in the 60s shooting NFAA rounds my friends told me "You are dropping your bow arm."  When I asked how I could stop it one of them held a field point under my tricep and boy, did that make an impression.  Still remember that little trick.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
I know this is not an approved method but back in the 60s shooting NFAA rounds my friends told me "You are dropping your bow arm."  When I asked how I could stop it one of them held a field point under my tricep and boy, did that make an impression.  Still remember that little trick.
Sounds like we have the same kind of friends... I remember my best friend "teaching" me to swim.    :smileystooges:      

axel... you are using great tools in getting your shooting to where you want it to be... a video camera and the Trad Gang forum... keep using them and you should reach your goals as long as you remain open minded and diligent... Good luck to you.    :thumbsup:
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Your alignment looks pretty good...just need to get rid of that forward creep....and turn it into a reverse creep...that will solve a lot.
x2
i also agree with moebow on the formaster it really helped me with back tension(reverse creep)

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
I have to add, shooting up close (5 yds) with the blind bale system (eyes closed, close enough not to miss target). Just focus on your bow arm pointing at target for every shot. See my thread "Blind Bale. How?" Right below this thread.
Marco

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
When you take your left arm to full draw rotate your elbow up (you have to rotate your tricep muscle in).  It's an unnatural feeling, but my archery coach taught us that and it improves your form and makes you less apt to collapse the elbow downward.  The rest is relaxing and holding the position as follow through.  Do a mental "one, two" ("ein, zwei"?) count after the shot before moving or letting up.

Your arrow hand anchor is like mine - no movement to speak of after the shot.  That's what I was taught to prevent string "plucking" and looks good (IMHO).

What matters is where they are hitting.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©