Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Collapsing on release  (Read 951 times)

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
Collapsing on release
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I've got this little problem that gives me grief once in a while. It doesn't happen all the time but it's real annoying when it does. I can get to anchor, even hold for a few seconds but then a split second before I release I fold up like a house of cards and shoot low left. The cause is probably complete back tension failure. I may also be trying to lower my bow arm in order to shoot lower rather than bending at the waist.

So what causes the tension failure if that is indeed the cause and more important how can I prevent it???

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Collapsing on release
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
What weight bow are you shooting?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Oh my!  Sounds like target panic trying to sneak in on you.  Bale work with a light bow may be in order.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
I shoot 50 and 55pounds and have been shooting for decades.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
Get or make a form master.  Use it and you'll have the best chance and quickest route to a fix.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
I have had the same problem on occasion.  If I tell myself "finish strong" on my shot sequence, I don't seem to have this problem.  A form master or similar will help you determine if your are periodicaly shortdrawing, or at least reminde your body what back tension is supposed to feel like.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
I think it was Saxon Pope who said, become a statue, I've incorporated that in my sequence after reaching anchor and it really helped me.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
I'll second what Moebow said. Works really well although I don't use it nearly enough.

Good luck

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
It sounds like your stopping the draw stroke at anchor, then thinking about releasing the arrow. This can precipitate a collapse.  Your anchor is only a mid point in the draw stroke.  When using back tension the shot should be a slow steady flow of movement to the release.  The entire shot shoot should move at the same speed.  Once you hit anchor you keep steadily drawing with your back muscles until your fingers are ripped off the string.  

If you are consciously thinking about the release your brain beats you to the punch and relaxes your muscles sand your form collapses.  Start taking one shot at a time.  Shoot blank bale, and focus on pulling thru steadily until the shot goes off.  Firing the bow has to be subconscious to be clean.  Don't shoot at targets until you break this problem.  A lighter bow for practicing and getting past this is a good idea.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by smoke1953:
I think it was Saxon Pope who said, become a statue, I've incorporated that in my sequence after reaching anchor and it really helped me.
I always try to get that moment of zero movement.  Even for just a heartbeat.  When snap shooting something in motion that doesn't work except above the waist, but otherwise I do.  I also know many great shooters who release while still in the draw motion and say it has to be that way.  

Has a lot to do with bow draw weight, also.  

May also be dependant on anchor point.  Once I anchor I would have to move my hand to one side to go any further.  That would do nothing for my accuracy.  When I was shooting a 70# bow I would occasionally draw blood from my fingers smacking me hard in the lips.  No wonder I sold that bow!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Forge-that is a great way to put it, when I see now what one of my biggest problems is...I forget to finish the shot.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I remind myself that the release is an increased pulling motion, not just a letting go.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 04:44:00 AM »
I still sometimes forget this during moments of tourney pressure, even though I'm using back tension at anchor the back tension would sometimes just stop at the moment of release, (for me the hardest part to master) you still make a good shot in most cases but consistency goes up alot when you learn to maintain back tension right through to conclusion.  

Hope this helps

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 04:46:00 AM »

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I do the same thing when I get to anchor conscience.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
A possibility is that you're trying to see where the arrow went before you should.  As Rick Welch said, the picture will be a lot prettier if you wait a few more seconds to look at it.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Buckskin57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Byron Fergusion talks about thisin( BECOME THE ARROW)the art of   modern barebow shooting.
JEREMIAH 16:16 / BEAR SUPER KODIAK /GRAYLING GREEN.

Offline Buckskin57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
( Release your whole body side.You'll know you accomplished this when the fingers of your release hand touch the shoulder on the release side.)Says Byron Fergusion:
JEREMIAH 16:16 / BEAR SUPER KODIAK /GRAYLING GREEN.

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I just put my formaster back on and work that for awhile.

Another trick I do is to set a clicker at my draw length then lenghten it just a very small hair. I reach anchor and have to pull just a fraction more to get the click off.
You get to keep what you kill.  If it were easy there would be no value in it.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Good stuff here.  It seems I get what I call a weak shot if I shorten my bow arm somewhat.  Insufficient draw length either way.
Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©