3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scared the crap out of me  (Read 2147 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Scared the crap out of me
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
I released and the arrow nock broke sending the arrow about 5 yds and the bow jumped out of my hand. I was stunned and not sure what happened at first. I did an inspection of the bow and nothings hurt. After changing my fruit of the Looms all was good   :D
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scared the crap out of me
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
I had the very same thing happen to me aswell, scared the HELL out of me.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Yup, Gives a whole new meaning to "Shocked the $hi+ out of me" LOL.....Glad everything but your shorts is OK
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Dang! well at least your not gripping the bow. Thats what a mentor told me about shooting.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
i did a good one two weeks ago.  I went to retrieve my arrows from the target and found this:

mind you this was not from a hit.  after inspecting the arrow apparently i had put the nock on with the grain instead of against it.  simple mistake but costly

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
I find enough to go wrong without having wood arrows  :)

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
I feel your pain; I had a 98 pound compound break in half at the riser while at full draw.
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
String Tracker, at least you know the nock glue is good enough.
Graham

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Yep, I have had the same thing happen twice. And yep it scared me pretty good both times. LOL
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by UKarcher:
String Tracker, at least you know the nock glue is good enough.
Graham
LOL  yeah your right.  I was using Duco cement and every time id have to wipe the excess off once i put the nock in place.  Im just glad it didnt shatter into my hand.

Offline bubinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
When I got my new bow the DVD that came with it said to put masking tape on the serving and mark it to find the best nock placement.  I busted two nocks, basically dry firing by new bow b4 I pulled the tape off and went with the old shoot and move the nock method.

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »
exact same thing happened to me!!!
but insted of the arrow breakin, my string broke insted,
i dont know if it was beacause of its age , the weight of the arrow i found that same day, or that i made it!!!
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline coldpaddler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 02:31:00 AM »
I had a similar experience.  The arrow spun like a helicopter blade and landed by my feet.  I was shooting speed nocks and I think the nock slipped off the string as I drew back.  The bow was never the same after that.  It still shoots fine, but is much noisier.  I think there might be an internal crack in a limb.  I have retired the bow.  It sits on the rack as a conversation piece.

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 05:28:00 AM »
Did it myself shooting some old cedars I picked up second hand the other day...nothin' like having the bow fly out of your hand and suddenly looking at the business end of an old green razorhead.  Needless to say I've replaced all the old nocks on those cedars...
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grimesville Assassin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
I had the same thing happen several week's back with my Brackenbury Phantom. The Arrow fell at my Feet, and I noticed that my Brace Height became really Short. Looking Up at the Tip's my Heart sank! The Dyna Flight 97, pulled through the Top Limb tip, about 4", and the Bottom Tip looked like a Dog chewed on it.Sent it back to Bill,to have New Limbs made for it.I'll be keeping a closer eye on Nock's in the future.
Traditional Archery is only an Addiction, If your trying to quit.

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by buck-tamer00:
exact same thing happened to me!!!
but insted of the arrow breakin, my string broke insted,
i dont know if it was beacause of its age , the weight of the arrow i found that same day, or that i made it!!!
yup been there done that too.  was shooting 3-d and I just made a shot and heard a loud thunk.  first thought was that i hit a branch with the limb.  i waved my bow around and couldnt think of what i hit then i happened to look at my unstrung bow.   :eek:   on the ground was my string.  the top serving i knew was getting some wear and i needed a new string soon but guess i needed it sooner than i thought.  it wore right threw the strands ( endless loop ) and snapped.  not even 2 minutes before that I had the bow resting on my boot with the other end capped by my hand right near my face.  boy another lucky one.  

between the arrows split and bow string pop I learned two important lessons..... PAY MORE ATTENTION TO YOUR EQUIPMENT

ST

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Holy Cow! I've had nocks break at release at least 1/2 dozen times, probably more, over the last zillion years of shooting. Cause was a cracked nock from being hit by another arrow the last round, and I didn't see it when nocking. I do check my nocks, but have still missed these little cracks.

Never had a bow problem of any kind with these semi-dry fires; the bow stayed in my hand & the arrow flew part way to the target..but these were all Dacron string recurves.

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Talk about testing the quality of "Fruit of the Looms" this happened 2ys ago. The string wrapped around my head, arrow was laying at my feet, and my ears had a ringing sound ,as if a 12 guage was fired at my side. I was just greatful no one was hurt, because there were three of us shooting standing next to one another. I eneded up with a small  cut on my left hand.

"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
Wow!! Glad to hear most times no one gets hurt. If this old bear would have broke I would have been very upset because I can't afford another bow and my journey would have been stalled out.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Yeah but I am sure it wouldn't make any difference at all to a bow if it was B50 or Fast flight.  Opps - Did I type that outloud?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©