Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: One arrow practice?  (Read 997 times)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
One arrow practice?
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
I read a post a while back where someone stated that they shoot one arrow and retrieve then repeat. I have to say that when I combine this with my regular practice I see a big difference. My last 4 sessions have been limited to about 50 arrows shooting one arrow and then retrieve. I must say my hold at full draw my release and my follow thru are all improved. I have not shot past 15 yds using this technique. My only focus has been on the shot at hand. I don't really get careless when I shoot more arrows. But I guess I do not focus with the same intensity. Anyone else practice this way? If not give it a try.
USMC 82-86

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One arrow practice?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:08:00 AM »
SC
I've incorporated a similar routine (about 1 year ago) with improved perforamance also. I shoot 5 shots at 8yds 5 at 15yds and 10 at 20yds. On the weekends maybe will get in 2 or 3 sessions but never shoot more than 1 arrow at a time.

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
I like the technique, should help on focusing correctly. Will try Thanks Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I do that all the time.  I have my U-Stuff deer target beside the barn in the brush and I try to sling a few arrows, one and retrieve, every morning.

"First shot only" thread:
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=005875
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
I like to shoot one arrow in a blank target, then shoot a second arrow at the 1st arrow.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I shoot 1 or 2 arrows only as well. Helps me not rush my shot like I do when I have more arrows to send downrange.

Offline havamal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by S.C. Hunter:
I read a post a while back where someone stated that they shoot one arrow and retrieve then repeat. I have to say that when I combine this with my regular practice I see a big difference. My last 4 sessions have been limited to about 50 arrows shooting one arrow and then retrieve. I must say my hold at full draw my release and my follow thru are all improved. I have not shot past 15 yds using this technique. My only focus has been on the shot at hand. I don't really get careless when I shoot more arrows. But I guess I do not focus with the same intensity. Anyone else practice this way? If not give it a try.
yes, I practice with one broadhead arrow, to simulate real hunting conditions.

OT: even in golf putting, I practice with one golf ball.
Martin Hunter recurve 62" 65#.
Fred Bear Grizzly recurve 58" 50#.
Shakespeare recurve 62" 40#.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Dont know what possessed me to do it today but oddly enough thats just what I did.I think I'll try it awhile.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
That is all I ever do. You have the tightest group if you only shoot one arrow. My group averages 11/32 in size every time. It also keeps the arrow breakage down to minimal. I figure you usually only get one shot at an animal. Make it count.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline sayerbefiddlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Yeah I might be the only guy who buys muzzy practice blades but I use broadheads all year just to make sure they fly right and the one shot one walk method works great

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
I also use this method all the time! It forces me to completely focus on THE one shot at a time - and has worked well for me!
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline JWA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Thanks. This sounds like a good idea so i will give it a try. Focus seems to be on of my bugaboos.
Happy New Year

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
That sounds like a wise move on your part with the Muzzy's !!!!!
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I like the one arrow method, it allows me to focus on consistent form, shooting a great arrow everytime .  When I shoot multiple arrows I tend to mentally drift and focus on the group rather than the form for each arrow released!  Great topic, thanks for sharing.
"They're all trophies"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
barebow17,

You mean like this,

I hate when this happens!
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
WOW! Nice! Nice going!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
That is what I do. It forces me to make that shot count. First-shot accuracy is vital. Also, I usually can't concentrate long enough to shoot twice.   :bigsmyl:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »
I've heard of this before but never tried it. I do know that when I started shooting 3 arrows per round instead of 4, my confidence went up.

I read that Byron Ferguson only shoots 3 per round. I figured when Byron speaks, I should listen. BUT..I ain't no Byron!! So if he does his best with 3, maybe I'd do better with 1.

Since it's cold outside and I'm limited to 10yrds in my basement, I'm gonna try this.

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
Poekoelan - the 'reason' behind it is several-fold.

1) It forces you to concentrate on JUST that ONE shot - as if you only HAD 1 shot - say, out in the woods. And, sometimes in a actual hunting condition that's all you MAY get!

2) It just helps make you focus on QUALITY of he shot and not QUANTITY - being yo are only thinking about that ONE shot at the time....not thinking :Oh well - I'll just LET LOOSE and let her fly because I have 2 more arrows here to shoot yet. It helps 'train' you into the mindset that "I have to make every shot count 100%"

SO you take your time with that ONE arrow....or at least, it has helped me as well....

Another 'trick' that I use that a longtime traditional shooter told me about was this as well: Try shooting in the dark sometime with a small birthday candle lit in front of the target mounted in an old broken or beat up arrow shaft (one with a screw in insert works good on a aluminum arrow because the birthday candle fit nicely right into the screw in insert hole! You then focus only ON the little flame when you shoot - trying for hitting THE flame when you shoot. It helps with extreme focus on just that tiny flame....and can help a lot as well.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
I practice this way too. A 1/2 dozen arrows last me quite a while, a lot less dings and refletching.   :archer:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©