Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting high left  (Read 472 times)

Offline Teach777

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting high left
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
OK Guys.  You helped me yesterday with the number of arrows I shoot (BTW the hit one nock and split the shaft), today I tried something different.  I have noticed that if I aim for the bull's eye on my home made burlap target (2 1/2" in diameter) I shoot high and to the left. So. . . I put a piece of black tape (2" sq) on the lower right part of my target, about 15" from center and at approximately 5 o'clock.  I consistently hit the bulls eye from 10 yds.  I have to shoot with my left eye closed because of eye surgery years ago.

Since I am not a hunter and only shoot for fun at this point, should I just continue to aim lower right?  Is this a common problem with beginners?  I think my anchor is consistent as well as my stance (T form).  I'm shooting a 35# Bear with Easton St Excell 500 arrows (carbon 7.3 gpi)and arrow length is 31.5 " from point to end of nock.

I have been shooting only about a month so I don't know much at all.  Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

Steve
The reverse side also has a reverse side.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting high left
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Steve,  Without seeing you shoot makes a remedy difficult.  But I would look first to where your string hand ends up after the release.  If it is on the back of your neck or on the top of your shoulder, I'd look at equipment.  If it is hanging out in space somewhere that will be your problem.  Since you have only been shooting about a month, I would suspect that the last option is the real problem.  Most new shooters get too concerned about "hitting" the target long before they should.  At this stage of the game you should be working on form and NOT trying to hit anything, or be concerned about hitting anything.

FWIW, Most shooting problems listed here by shooters looking for help WILL be solved by work on the form, NOT on equipment solutions.

Can you post a video of your shot?
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Pm sent Steve, hope it helps..

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
What Moebow said.  Some of the most common errors are plucking, the arrow goes away from the drawing hand, (left for A RH shooter), peeking or trying to watch the arrow, makes you drop your bow arm and the arrow goes low and the most common, a too high drawing elbow.  This puts too much pressure on the ring finger, it makes it difficult to get a clean release.  Bill

Offline Teach777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I think you're onto something.  Yesterday when I was shooting, if I really concentrated on my follow-through and continued to look at the target, the arrow stayed straight.  Funny how one very little movement can throw a shot so far off.  

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Steve
The reverse side also has a reverse side.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©