Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Basement Shooting  (Read 1227 times)

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Basement Shooting
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
My ceilings are nine feet tall. I shoot almost daily in my basement. Especially when weather doesn't permit me to be outside. Mainly work on form and keep muscles limbered up.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Sitting on a chair or stool works well and is what I have to do.  I have 9 yards and I'd advise 2 shot groups unless you like to replace knocks a lot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I just started shooting a few weeks ago and have been confined to my basement at 7 yds. Got out yesterday and shot at 15 and did well.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I can shoot 18 yds. in my basement.  I shoot shorter yardage than that to practice my form and follow-though.  Really helps me.  Because of my 64" bows, I have to make sure that my top bow tip is between the floor joists.... no problem so far.  But, to be on the safe side, I slipped some foam copper pipe insulation pipe wrap over the bottom of the floor joist beams just in case my bow tip might make contact.  No problems after many months of shooting this way.
The work praises the man.

Offline alex m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
I shoot at 7 yards in my shop all winter.  I do some form work, then switch to 1 inch bulls eyes and tune up for squirrel hunting. It's very realistic to me.  I draw a small bull on a paper plate and shoot till it's totally gone.My goal is to have the smallest group and fewest wild shots on the plate when the bull is totally shot out.  I also shoot outside in the cold with shooter's mittens.  Just my shooting fingers stick out through the flap in the mittens.  Sometimes I can shoot for an hour if it;s not too cold, and sometimes I only get 10 or so shots before my hands are froze, but it's only the first shot I really worry about anyway. Anything to keep on shooting is good, at any range, in anything that resembles a hunting situation.  Alex
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Yes! defiantly worth it. Up in wisconsin here we still have plenty of snow and in the last few months i have been shooting in my basement at about ten yards. in the last week there have been some bearable days to go out and shoot, and man did i notice that i had stayed consistent from last year and had some improvement.

Offline Roots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Basement shooting helps you from going nuts during the winter, the only negative aspect is having to patch up drywall and the occasional door frame.

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I first started shooting trad in my basement during the winter.  I think that my 10 yard basement shooting was a solid start for me. Kept me from trying to shoot too far too early.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
My basement doesn't work for me, but I've shot from my garage across a portion of my (hand-shoveled) driveway during the deep and long-lasting snows the past couple of winters.  Reduced range, etc. but definitely worth keeping the muscles toned and being vigilant about form.  Above all, more fun than waiting forever to start shooting again.
Jim

Offline SimpleMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
In short....well worth it!!

I shoot in my storage building that provides me with 8yds to target.  This winter, I worked on form, but the most important aspect of it, my children were able to shoot with me in complete comfort.  We had a blast.  Warmth and good lighting extened our shooting times and I have noticed all of our shooting abilities grow tons.

My best investment in my storage building was a stall mat to protect the walls....from my children  :laughing:
Know God, Know Peace!

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
This winter I put up a target in my basement to work on form. I can get twenty yard in my basement but haven't shot over 5 just working on form. Looking forward to 3D shoots this summer.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
I was hoping to start doing more outside shooting. We have one more winter storm coming today and tomorrow. Oh well, I guess the basement will have to do. :-)

Actually, I do enjoy using it for form work and for shooting a heavier bow to develop strength. I find I can do that along with my other workout.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
It's still in the low 20s here every morning and afternoon winds will carry you off to who knows. So I'm shooting in my store. Aisle 2 (there are only 2). I have 11 yards but I have to shoot through a doorway through the "office" and into the backroom. When I leave the door open I get some comments on the pin cuschion, but most folks are cool with it. Of course, I don't shoot when anybody else is in the building. And it helps that the target wall is concrete. I use a Rhinehart block.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I got my first bow about 6 years ago (Im only 22 now) I knew little about traditional bows and of course as a result I was terribly over bowed (60#) Last fall I couldnt really hold a group together very well at 15 yrds and at 20 i was a mess. After shooting my bow all winter I saw my groups tighten at the ten yards I had to play with and my back muscles definitely got stronger. After adjusting a bit to shooting longer distance I am now hitting the bullseye 4 out of 5 shots from 25 yards!!!!! From personal experience if you are not shooting in your basement through the winter your losing valuable practice time! I know what I'll be doing in my basement next winter..
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©