Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shots going to the left  (Read 839 times)

Offline tjfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shots going to the left
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
The biggest reason why I shoot to the left is when I "flick" my release. Meaning I pull my hand away from my face an instant before the release. It creates a twang effect and pulls the whole string away from my face.

Offline Relentless Sportfishing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Ok my 50 grn weights arrived today. Since the Stu Miller calculator said it would make my arrow to weak. I cut one down and filed it to 10 grn on my scale. I would not of thought it would of made any difference but my shooting seemed to be considerably better with my arrows 1/2lb light. Now my next question is on my strike plate I have the hard leather with adhesive backing. But my arrow tip is to the left with the string in the center of the limbs. Plus at the very back of the strike plate there is wear which is consistant with the arrow coming into it with the tip to the left. Should I remove it and position a little closer to the front of the bow. Or should I try a thinner plate to get my arrow to line up straight when I have the string centered on the limbs. Or is my Samick Red Stag not cut past center and I just have to deal with it.

Offline Brett Wilmore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Hi Relentless!  Hey I've been shooting trad three years and here's my saga.  Doofus at the archery store started me on GT trads but 7595s(!).  Over time I have worked down to 5575s but now I've figured out that with my 45# recurve at 27.5 inches, I need the 1535s!  That is with 125 pts so your heavier points with the 3555s should be good if 30" to 32".

What is your draw length?  Haven't heard anyone ask that yet.  And also...Dude I STILL have to correct my aim to the right or my arrows go left.  I've figured out about 3" at 15 yds, 5" at 20 yds, 10" at 30 yds, 20" at 40 yds.  For ME, I've concluded it has to do with my anchor point and not looking straight down the arrow, but when I correct appropriately, I can shoot straight.

The only time I shoot right is when I pluck the string (bad release, pulling away from my head instead of back past my ear).

Good luck and I like your arrow setup if you're pulling close to 28".  I don't think you need the 50gn inserts with 160 pts if full length.  

Good luck and kudos on your choice of trad!  I wish you good luck finding trad friends in your area--New Orleans is a big town and they MUST be out there :-D

Best,
Brett

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Try bending your bow arm just a little, works for me.

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
I had similar problem till I shot with a more experienced shooter. It turns out I was not square to target as in to open of a stance with my right foot way behind my left, years of batting left and putting ball in opposite feild. I straightened out my stance and worked on my release and it has done wonders for my shooting.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I had an interesting experience today that kind of highlighted the shooting left problem that arises every once in awhile with me. I was doing some shooting at a deer target about 25 yds and I positioned myself in a grove of small trees to better imitate shooting conditions in the woods. Most shots at that distance were going left and I normally attribute that to me torquing the bow however I happened to be standing with a small tree a little behind me and to the right. As I released my release arm hit that tree. That should never have happened if I was drawing straight back with the necessary back tension. After that I shot several times with that tree in the same position and it taught me quickly that I fall into bad habits by not always pulling straight back and continuing straight back upon release. That tree in that position helped ingrain that into the old brain bucket.

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
For me, my arrows go left when I don't keep pulling through the release. I've also got excuses for up, down, and right misses if needed.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
If you're collapsing on release you go left and a bit low also.
If its just happening once in a while most likely you're not maintaining back tension through the shot.
SL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©