Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form for newby  (Read 528 times)

Offline CAT22

• Trad Bowhunter
Form for newby
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Thanks in advance for replies to my prev post, folks. Ok, form questions.......
When I shot my compound, I'd always have a slight bend in my bow arm. Does this apply also for traditional archers as it would for compound? Pushing toward the target?
My wrist with the compound was always flexed fully backward. Does this also apply?
I've always shot with a slightly open stance. Almost parallel, but slightly open. Any help would be great.
I seem most consistent right now with a stiff, extended bow arm, extended wrist and slightly open stance, but I want to make sure this is right so I don't get into a bad habit off the bat. Thanks.
CAT22

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form for newby
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
CAT,  Shoot your Trad bow like your compound.  Same bow arm/ bow wrist.  Same stance (at least until you are comfortable with what you are doing.  The "press" towards the target should be done from the shoulder (NOT the whole bow arm).  Not sure what you mean by and extended wrist, use the same grip you do with the wheels.  Bow arm should be straight but NOT LOCKED!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Many problems for new shooters are caused by poor anchors, releases, follow through.  Try using a deep hook to grip the string and use your back muscles to pull through your anchor and release letting your hand come back a little.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline CAT22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Moebow, what I mean is the handle on the bows are way different. My wheel bow has a super slim straight grip. The recurve has a smaller neck up top right below the shelf, which I like. But the angle of the handle forward has the bow resting heavily right between my thumb and first finger more, not spread across the crease of my palm. Therefore wrist extended, not relaxed and back like the wheel bow. I get what you mean about pushing from the shoulder. I'l work on that. I should keep straight but unlocked, pushing from the shoulder. Is everything else just statue on the release? I feel strong with anchor and release, but this stinkin follow thru is getting me good right now I think.
CAT22

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
The way you hold the bow is fine, if it is working for you then do it. As far as the follow through getting you good, does that mean your having problems with it ? if so what is happening ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Cat,  Yes, the style of grip is different but the thought is the same.  The pressure of the bow into your hand should be into the meaty part of your thumb, not the center crease of your palm.

A while back, I posted some pictures of a good grip (not the only way to be sure).  Do a search for "grips" and see if you can find it.  I haven't seen it for a while but if you can find it, it may give you some ideas to try.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I'm lucky in that my bow arm just can't lock.  I always have a slight bend; even at full extension.  My archery coach made us lift the elbow so the "hinge line" of the arm is perpendicular to the ground.  It allows a solid hold without locking the elbow.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Cat,  I found it in search.  Shooter's forum thread is " grip question".  As I said, see if it gives you something to work on/ think about.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Cat,

Your bow arm CAN BE LOCKED....that's the way I shoot.  Locked or not locked bow arm is personal preference and also physical structure.  I know WAY TOO MANY guys that can shoot lights out and kill a lot of stuff that shoot with a locked bow arm.

My arm does not straighten out completely  or over straighten like some when its locked. So I lock it...it also gets my draw length more consistent.  It also make for a more stable shooting platform on un-orthodox hunting shots.

Here's my locked arm.......

LOCKED BOW ARM ACCURACY
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©