Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Son is right hand/left eye...which hand?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Son is right hand/left eye...which hand?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I know that everyone is different, and I'm by no means an expert, but I can assure you that in my case, it does make a difference which eye is dominant EVEN when shooting instinctively.  I think that you should ALWAYS start out shooting from your dominant side. Sometimes, your brain may not be shooting instinctively, even though your eyes "think" you are.

I have been a RH left eye dominant shooter for over 25 years but just picked up traditional archery around 2 years ago, 2010 was my first hunting season.  I started out RH as I always have and am in the process of making the switch to LH right now after missing a very nice 130" plus whitetail in Oct, from the ground at less than 15 yards!!    :banghead:  I forgot to mention that I missed him by nearly 3 feet as my left eye took over and directed the shot even though everything "felt" just fine. I keep both eyes open at all times like you should.  

I don't understand exactly what happens with the interaction between the brain/eye/body but I can shoot targets accurately from either side even though I'm understandably still a little better from the RH side due to my 25 year head start  :D   The problem for me comes during hunting situations.  When my "instincts" take over and I'm focusing on making a clean, ethical shot on a live animal, no matter how hard I try, I can't convince my brain that my left eye shouldn't lead the way, after all, it is dominant, has better vision and doesn't have a string in it's way either!! It's very hard to overcome your body's natural programming and I'm starting to believe that if shooting with both eyes open, it can only be done consistently in a target shooting environment when you're relaxed and have time to work out in your mind how to compensate for your cross eye dominance.  Shooting from the wrong side has the potential to have a negative effect on every cross eye dominant shooter at some point.  I know guys that seem to have successfully worked around the problem by using a patch or closing an eye to take one element out of the equation. That works ok but adds a different set of vision problems.  

I almost gave up on traditional archery until I decided to make the switch to LH shooting last year.  The switch isn't easy and I'm not all the way there yet but I'm working on it.  I still shoot targets from the RH side but I will never take a RH bow in a deer hunting situation again.  I have learned my lesson and I believe it's unethical for me to take a weapon into the field that I don't consider myself to be completely competent with at all times.  Traditional archery is difficult enough that I think you should always do what you can to stack the deck in your favor and eliminate all potential problems before they arise. Sorry, I forgot to mention, I think you should switch your son to left handed shooting    :D  

Sorry for writing a book, but this has been a struggle for me and I know that I can't be alone in my feelings on this.  

Take care,
Jasper2
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
I think its good your willing to get him a lefty to try out. I wouldnt force it, but if his experience is like mine, he will grab the lefty over the righty. Just have both bows available for him and encourage him to give the lefty a try. Tell him it would be cool if he could shoot both accurately. For those that think it makes no difference, get yourself the opposite handed bow and give it a whirl. I shoot decent right handed(left eye dom), but Im way better shooting lefty. Why make it hard for this kid, give him the proper tools while he is young.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
The way I noticed he was left eyed was when we were at the range and he backed off to about 18yds or so and shot 3 arrows in a row about 4 foot to the left. Although he shoots both eyes open, clearly his dominant eye takes over.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
I noticed the same thing with my oldest when he was about 7yrs old and tried to switch him to a lefty.

He shot the bow maybe 20 times and went back to his right handed bow and never looked back.

He wins 3-D shoots all the time, so i don't guess it hurt him any being left eye dominant.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
I had a friend of mine that was left handed/ right eye dominate. He shot left handed! He was the best shot bar none I've ever seen. Didnt' seem to affect him at all. Shot both eye's open, and shot that way all his life. Let him shoot however is comfortable to him. The main thing is that he has fun!!   :thumbsup:  Good shooting, Jason

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
i've been shooting left eye dominant right handed for the last three years, didn't realize until this Fall.  Could hit good enough, but never great.  This Fall right before season opened(most intensive practice for most of us) i started getting headaches, went to eye doctor, he said everything looked good and that i was left eye dominant.  Changed my shooting form a bit and started squinting my left eye, and started slapping the arrows together.  I do agree things change in the field.  The first time I drew on a deer with a recurve I tryed closing my left eye, after that my whole drawing sequence was screwed up.  I do have a left handed bow on the way, so I'm going to give it a try.  I do beleive everyones different, so do what works.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
This is actually a no brainer.

Teach him to shoot both ways like I do. I am right handed and formerly left eye dominant (check out my tag line below).

You teach him young and he will never know that he is not supposed to be able to do it.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Almost forgot the most important part of the equation.

Like any shooting things start from the ground up. I teach anyone who is interested the mechanics of shooting both ways, and consistently the biggest issue is foot position.

Have him set up in shooting postion, square, open or closed, whatever works for him, before you put the bow in his hand. Have him shoot one arrow at a time until things start to come naturally and then turn him loose.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Last, but not least, never underestimate the ability of a five year old. Just think about what he can already do with a computer, cell phone or digital camera. Kids do not live by all those rules that make things hard for us adults.

DDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©