Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What's your definition of a proper release?  (Read 895 times)

Offline Blood Trail 2

• Trad Bowhunter
What's your definition of a proper release?
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
How do you guys release arrows? I'm a noob and i've been playing around with a few different "techiques" I guess you can call it!

I've tried gripping the string at the first bend of my 3 fingers (i shoot 3 under) and I've tried just using my fingertips. The issue I'm having is that everytime I release, my 3 fingers tend to kinda thumb my cheek. Is this normal??

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's your definition of a proper release?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Not sure what you mean by thumbing your cheek. I've only been doing this for about 4 years and it is still a learning experience for me. I use a deep hook and your hand should come back toward your shoulder after release.

The best money you could spend would be to order one or both Masters of the barebow 3 or The Accuracy factory. Both are great DVD's and will give you some great help.

Good luck.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Well the release should be a push with your bow arm, and pull with your back muscle and a relaxation of the fingers.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
i prefer a dead release.
get to anchor- at least two anchor points,good back tension!! pause, steady everything up, and then sub consciously relax my fingers,  my draw hand and my bow hand stay exactly where they were at anchor, as my follow through, until arrow impact.
everything as quite and still as i can- also helps not to flag the animals too!!
if i use the push pull, i find there is too much movement, and my accuracy suffers.

but hey, its whatever works best for YOU!!!!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I've tried both the dead release and the dynamic release, and prefer the dynamic release, where my fingers end up on my shoulder.

The key to a dynamic release is to continue to pull throughout the shot.  Even if your arrow is not moving backwards, you're continuing to pull with your back muscles.  The critical factor is to learn to pull with your back muscles rather than with your arm muscles.  It is usually not obvious to people that they're pulling with their back muscles; it is something that has to be learned for most people.

The other critical thing is to develop a subconcious release.  In other words, you don't do anything to consciously relax your fingers to release the string.  It is a surprise, similar to squeezing the trigger on a rifle.  As you continue to increase back tension, your release will happen (hopefully).
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
say guys, are your dynamic releases happening in the form of snap shooting.
 i used to snap shoot- and i have seen some pretty good snap shooters, its just better for me now to draw, hold ( for a second or two- or longer if need be) and then the ever important sub conscious release- maybe the holding lends itself to a dead release!!???

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
A dynamic release can lead to snap shooting.  A dead release can lead to creeping.  Things to watch out for, but not inevitable.

Holding with a fixed amount of back tension will result in a dead release.  Holding with an increasing amount of back tension will result in a dynamic release.

It is difficult to hold while slightly increasing back tension without actually moving the arrow backwards until the shot goes off.  It is difficult to hold while maintaining a fixed amount of back tension without losing some of that back tension and creeping forward before the shot goes off.

When I find myself holding for a shorter and shorter period of time, until I'm finally snap shooting, one of the things I do to get out of the habit is to hold for ten seconds, and then fire the shot.  I don't know that I could continue to increase back tension for the full ten seconds without moving the arrow, so I'm sure I'm holding with as fixed an amount of back tension as I can for about 9 seconds, and then increase the back tension for the last second until the shot goes off.

The normal amount of time I try to hold a shot is 2 seconds.  If I'm shooting well, I never stop increasing back tension during that two seconds, and the arrow doesn't move much.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
While I've seen some top level, Pro, bare bow shooters use a dead release and do extremely  well, I, like McD, prefer the 'dynamic' release, for all the reason's McD has enumerated above. I believe, however, that during the 'dynamic' release, the arrow does not move rearward because the continued application of back tension causes the shooting elbow to rotate in an arc towards the spine, and not in a straight line to the rear. While McD calls it "pulling through the shot", it is not the same as a FITA shooter "pulling through the clicker". The FITA shooter is actually continuing to pull the arrow rearward, and the action that McD and I are describing is not doing that. While it takes some time to develop, the use of dynamic back tension, it is well worth the effort, IMHO.     :notworthy:

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
I also prefer the dynamic release. A trick I like to use is to imagine pulling my shoulder blades together. It give a clean release.

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
I finally got the back tension thing...when it clicked it clicked. I was trying to use a dynamic release and it just didn't work for me...I saw from Terry Green's video that you could still crawl into the bow some and maintain back tension...My hand doesn't really go anywhere either because my back is at ful compression...Now I feel I am practicing correctly...when you practice incorrect form you're just hoping for a good one every so often...be patient, it's worth it.
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
I once read that the release should be like wet snow slipping off of a bamboo leaf. That is what I have always tried for and it has served me well.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
My definition of a proper release is the arrow is gone, your hand is behind your ear and you can't remember doing anything with your fingers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
Pay attention to McDave and Al Dean. I, and the thoroughly coached Olympians, the more dynamic sort of release. You might also try a still deeper release, in the second pad of the second finger, and roughly in the joint creases of the first and third.

A helpful thought is to allow your aim to settle, then increase your draw until the shot occurs, disturbing your aim as little as possible. If you can get the shot off without disturbing your aim the shot will be a good one. - lbg

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Here is what happens with me, first I'm not up on all the terms so I'll do my best. I hold string in first groove of fingers in a split finger hold, I shot instinctive and it seems like the string just leaves me fingers I really can't explain it, I realize I'm controlling the releae but I have no conscious memory of it. My hand ends up by my ear but my fingers are not on my shoulder. I wish I could explain it better but it works for me.

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Here is what happens with me, first I'm not up on all the terms so I'll do my best. I hold string in first groove of fingers in a split finger hold, I shot instinctive and it seems like the string just leaves me fingers I really can't explain it, I realize I'm controlling the releae but I have no conscious memory of it. My hand ends up by my ear but my fingers are not on my shoulder. I wish I could explain it better but it works for me.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I recommend a solid bone anchor, something you can put pressure on and feel.  I use my cheekbone.  I say this because mouth and cheek skin moves around.  

Focus on getting to anchor, then pulling further puts pressure on your face and gives you a subtle signal to your brain to release, you don't have to think, It just happens. Consistent anchoring is the first fundamental to good shooting.  I am a believer in the dynamic release even though I pause on target you have to keep pulling though the finish. The results you gain are the largest with a consistent anchor. Static release is too close to colapsing and that road leads to target panic.  The pressure on the bow string should be like a damn about to break constantly building.

Get a Form master, I wish we could make them in bulk and give one to every archer on this site.  They explain everything through experience.  the first time you use one, you'll understand everthing without a word.  The physics becomes self explanatory with this marvelous little tool.  Hit your anchor and pull through to a solid finish with the form master everytime and you'll be well on your way to being a tremendous shot.  aiming is the small part of the equation.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
"What's your definition of a proper release?"

Proper Alignment....that will get you there faster than anything.... a double anchor along with it doesn't hurt either.   :readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I'm not sure what you call it but I watched a youtube video of a Korean instructor and although he didnt speak english you knew exactly what he was teaching, I see it as a pull through straight back technique as you open your fingers. You can practice it with out shooting and then shoot, when I do this with good back tension and steady, the arrow goes exactly where I am looking with great flight. Iff not I am usually plucking the string or short drawing.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline ren sarns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Dynamic release, hand ends up on my shoulder.  I was fighting creeping when I tried the "dead" release.  For practice I stand without my bow, and practice the release just like I was at full draw ... muscle memory!  The release for me seems to just happen, as I increase back tension.  I hold on the target and go through my shot routine before starting back tension which leads to my release.  Now in hunting situations I think it just is instinctive or natural, as I really don't go through all those thoughts and I have been very succesful hunting.
WSAA/TBW/NFAA

NAVY MCPO - RETIRED

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Hey Blood Trail,
 I'm a newbie to the sport too, and I know exactly what you mean about your fingers hitting your cheek after release!  After a long practice session my cheek is sore in the spot that my fingers seem to pound.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know.  I shoot three fingers under also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©