Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Draw length  (Read 469 times)

Offline Enumclawarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw length
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Hope you guys can clear this up for me. I am transitioning from compound to traditional and I have a question on draw length. I have a 28 in draw with my compound. I use a release so I have my bow at 27 1/2 in draw. I will shoot fingers with my trad bow and have been told by one boyer that if I am at 27 1/2 I should go to a 26 in draw with a stick bow, also i've been told to stay with 28 in. What is the most effective way to measure for a stick bow. By the way if I use the yard stick meathod from my chest to fingertips it's approx 26" All that being said what changes in a traditional bow that draw length is a consideration. Bow length?
Thanks

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw length
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
First, congrats  on your transition to traditional equipment. You've joined a long list of those who have done the same. And having done the same myself, several years ago, I can tell you that the most 'fail safe' method of determining your draw length is to measure it by actually drawing a bare wood shaft that has been marked in inches from 25"-30" measured from the throat of the nock. You'll need to use a bow that you can draw comfortably to your anchor point, and you'll need someone to check the length for you. I suggest that you make several, 6 or more draw and holds to your anchor point while your observer takes note, and comes up with a good average.  Then, don't be to anxious to cut your arrows to exact length. Give yourself an inch or two extra, as your draw length may actually increase a bit as you shoot more and begin to expand your chest.

As to bow length, that's totally a personal preference and shouldn't change your draw length. Many who hunt from tree stands prefer bows in the 60-62" length range. Target only shooters prefer longer bows for the stability and forgiveness they offer. Of course, when you get down into the 60" bow lengths, you can end up with some finger pinch, so I prefer nothing shorter than 62" in a longbow. While I've not shot a recurve in a good many years, I believe that you can go shorter with them without danger of finger pinch. An additional note on longbow length: if you plan on shooting any of the straight limb designed bows, that is without any reflex/deflex built into the limbs, like a Howard Hill style, then I prefer a length of at least 68" to help smooth out the action, but that's JMHO.

Again, congrats and welcome to the world of traditional archery. I can say, from my own experience, that you're going to find it a whole lot of FUN.  Challenging, even frustrating at times, but above all, Fun!   :clapper:

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Stick a clothespin on your arrow about half way up it & draw your bow. Take the arrow off & measure from the valley of the nock to the clothespin, do it a few times to get an average, that's your draw length.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Trad bows aren't draw length specific.  Most have their weight measured at 28".  That just means if you draw less than 28", then the bow weight will be less at your draw length.
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
You can punch a hole in a piece of cardboard and slip it over an arrow.  This will slide forward as you draw your bow and then you measure the arrow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©