Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Home made Formaster....PICS.....and questions about results  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Home made Formaster....PICS.....and questions about results
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
When I returned to shooting my longbows several months ago I was fortunate to find this great site.  After spending several days reading (devouring) I kept coming across the mention of this foreign (to me) concept called back tension.

After receiving some incredibly helpful coaching from Terry G. things began to click, and over the past two months the shooting has steadily gotten much better. But like most of us, I wasn't sure if I was actually achieving proper back tension.

Occasionally I have heard mention of the Formaster.  So today I looked at a couple of vid's on youtube and thought...hmmm that looks useful, and might tell me if I'm actually achieving back tension or not.  I dang sure wasn't going to buy something that simple, so once again I put it out of my mind....until I went to the bedroom and noticed a new piece of luggage my wife got this week for her work travels.  It had one of those clip-on shoulder straps that she never uses.  Off to the workbench....

I took up all the slack the buckle would allow making it as short as it would go. Then I matched the clip ends together and clamped the nylon webbing to keep these lined up. I heated an electrical test probe with my torch and burned a hole through all 4 pieces of webbing and installed a nut/bolt.  After several adjustments on the length of the nylon cord I now have this:

See pics below of finished version.

I have used it now for about 20 shots and it seems to work like it is supposed to.  I can honestly say I now know I am using back tension as I have no collapse in my drawing arm/shoulder at release.  

What's puzzling me, and what I'm seeking advice for, is a collapse of my bow arm to the right (right handed) at release.  I assume what I should be working on regarding this is to keep things in line with my aim point at release?  I take this collapse to mean I'm only achieving back tension with my right shoulder.  Any cues/tips?
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Home made Formaster....PICS.....and questions about results
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics, Rob. As far as your question that will have to be answered by someone at little more experienced than me.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
Well I may have answered my own question....I used my FM a little more then took it off and started to fling arrows concentrating on keeping my bow arm steady to the target.  I also worked on chest expansion by drawing in a breath to help with the back tension and alignment just as I'm about to release.  It definitely helped in two ways....tightened up the groups pretty well, and got me to stop thinking about my release....lol.
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline bauke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:07:00 AM »
Green

Just a word of caution: I did exactly the same, but the clips of the strap is not always strong enouth and mine did not last!  So, check then before you pull....

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Thanks Bauke....they're definitely just cheap potmetal so I took your advice and removed them and rebuilt it just like the one I see in the vid, but without the hardware and adding velcro about 1/3 of the way from the string attachment to keep the loops from sliding too far on either side of the elbow......fits/works better.  Here's a pic of the re-work:

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Results from using the home made formaster? You bet.

These 3 were shot from 20 yards....started shooting later at 25 & 30.  This produced very similar results.....not quite as tight though...lol.
I also switched from a tab to an old american leathers glove with the hard fabric on the stalls.  That eliminated my finger pain and helped me to obtain proper alignment. The side benefit is that it also eliminated the shoulder pain that came along with compensating for my fingers.  

I hope this thread may be of some help to anyone who may be dealing with form/alignment, accuracy, and pain issues like I have been.

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
so do you just draw a few times, then take it off and shoot?
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Greg - go to youtube and type in formaster...there's a video of a guy using it that explains it better than I can tell you. Also do a search for formaster here and you'll find a thread with some exercises for building the strength in your back muscles.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
The exercises mentioned in one of the prior threads on this device are also useful for developing your opposite shoulder muscles if you decide to teach yourself to shoot left handed....or right handed for you lefties.

Offline ammoeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Looks great Green, well done!  You might want to attach the cord below your nock point, if it slips up the string on release, you could crack yourself in the head with the upper limb.  It really hurts...

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Ammoeater....not going to ask you how you learned that one, but someone gave me a heads up when I mentioned I'd watched that video as he puts it above the nock.  Maybe he'll post another video of how "not to" use the formaster...lol.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I am finding this interesting. I have seen it described how it feels when you do it wrong, but can anyone tell me what it feels like when you do it right?

Thanks.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Kevin - If you watch the youtube video you'll see that when you release the string, if you've not achieved proper backtension then your drawing arm/shoulder will collapse....and/or your bow arm will flinch....hard.  If you do the exercises as described in a past post then you will feel it in your back, and not your arms, the next morning.  Best I can 'splain it.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.

Kevin

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I've had great results, here is my home made form master.  All materials purchased at W*** M*** in the sewing isle minus the rope.

If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Thanks for another version Grant.....like your signature....practicing with this contraption made a believer out of me.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Here's the one I made this morning. I used eyelets and a bolt to join the 2 sections and then 4 eyelets to attach the cord. I need to shorten the one strap a little for my lower arm. Getting ready to go to work right now but I did try it and now I understand the concept.  

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Good luck Kevin...this gadget is outstanding for teaching proper form and enhancing a dynamic release.  Post your personal results when you get a chance.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Will do ! And thanks for the post so I could see how to make it.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Everybody's physical features, strength, experience, and form is a little different so what each of us learns from using this will vary.  But one thing's for sure...in less than a week of using this I am learning how many subtle things it has taught me towards improving form and accuracy.  It gives immediate physical feedback that exemplifies and reinforces what Terry is teaching with the form clock.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©