Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Instinctive or aiming?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
Instinctive or aiming?
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I'm sure this has been asked before but do you guys shoot instinctive or utilize some type of aiming sysytem and if so what type ( gap, string walk,etc.)
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Instinctive or aiming?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Instinctive for me. I've tried gapping and just can't get a picture of the point. I think there are definitely times where gap would be preferred for me. Just can't get it.

Good luck

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
At anything living I shoot instinctive as I understand it.  Focus on the spot, draw, anchor & release.  25 yards or closer.

At stumps and targets from 25 to 35 I focus higher on the target.  Second guess method or something, maybe.  Some days it works great.  Others not so.

My point-on distance is 65 yards.

When shooting long distance at targets I use a point-of-aim method holding on an imaginary spot over the target based on my point-on.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
instinctive
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Gotta find what works best for you.

Instinctive is aiming....subconscious aiming.

Best of luck to you finding the best way for you to will your arrows to your target.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline shoothathang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
I shoot instinctive out to about 25 yards.Beyond that I have to gap shoot

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Instinctive for me, but find what works for you and go with that cause we are all differant.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Ive been shooting instinctive but have heard alot of pluses of the others. I've had some inconsistencies and thought using another method might help.I tried gapping but couldnt get used to not having the point on the target. Tried string walking and it seemed like I could adapt to it easily but I wasnt comfortable. Im goin to keep working on my form, get some patience and continue on my instinctive shooting. It's just some days I get frustrated. I shoot great out to 20 yds and the next day I go out and cant hold a group at 10. I know it's me and I just have to work harder. I just started into trad 1 month ago so I have aways to go.

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Instinctive only I'm right handed left eye dominate and it's the only way I can comfortably shoot. I use it at all distances it just requires practice.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
I'm new to the board here, but was wondering if someone could give a brief explanation on gap shooting for me?
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
"Instinctive" gap

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Chromebuck, gap shooting is an aiming method using the point of the arrow.  First, you find your "point-on" distance, which is the distance at which you can place the point of the arrow on the spot you want to hit and the arrow will hit that spot.  For me, it is about 40 yards.  Then you shoot at other distances, and find where you have to place the point of the arrow to hit your target.  For example, I have to place the arrow point about a yard above the target at 50 yards in order to hit the target.  If you want to use gap at distances under your point-on (I don't; I use instinctive for closer distances) you have to find out how far under the spot you have to place your arrow point in order to hit it.

It is critically important that you maintain your focus on the target at all times; the arrow point will be blurred in your peripheral vision.

Your gaps may change as you change arrows or arrow length, so may have to be recalibrated some.

There are two kinds of gap shooters: one actually measures the gap (1 yard above the spot at 50 yards); the other just notices the gap and doesn't associate a particular gap with a particular yardage.  Over time, they are able to set their gap without knowing the actual yardage or gap (could this be called "instinctive gap?"  I dunno).  Howard Hill shot this way.

Some very good shooters, like Rick Welch, state that they are instinctive shooters, but also state that it is very important to be aware of your sight picture in your peripheral vision.  The sight picture includes the arrow point, the sight window, and whatever else you might see in your peripheral vision, such as part of your bow hand.  To me, this awareness of the sight picture makes this form of aiming very similar to Howard Hill's method, and Howard said he was not an instinctive shooter.  So sometimes the distinctions can get blurred.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I also shoot "instictigap".
   Chromebuck here's the way I understand the 3 main types of shooting barebow:  Instinctive is not paying attention to the arrow, boring a "hole" into the target with concentration and your mind takes over your hands, like throwing a baseball.  Point of Aim shooting is picking a spot at the target to put your point on.  This will be below the spot you want to hit until you get out to your "point on" yardage (where you can hold the point of the arrow right on the spot you want to hit).  Gap shooting is similar to point of aim in that you pay attention to the arrow but you know your correct gap at the arrow instead of at the target.  For example: At 20 yds., my point of aim is 20" low and my gap is 1" low.  So at 20 yds. if I put the point of my arrow on a spot 20" below the point I want to hit, at the arrow, the gap between those 2 points is 1".  Hope that makes sense.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
I would have an instinctive gap aiming method, as well.  Both of your responses were "spot-on" and understandable.  Thanks much.
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Subconscious gap, or instinctive.

Offline LH Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
We all "aim" (in some fashion), use whatever method works best for YOU!
 I think gap, POA, etc., all will become "instinctive" after many, many shooting sessions at varying distances, angles, & elevations. JMHO (McDave's explanations, as always, are spot on!)  
                                  Keith
If this was easy, everyone would be doin' it!

Offline Two Wolves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
I am basically brand new to this style of shooting (trad). I want so bad to shoot, what I believe to be "instinctive". I want the bow to become part of me. Just like throwing a ball or shooting a basketball. I want to look at a spot and send the arrow there. I may be asking a lot of myself but I am going to give it my best shot. (pun intended).
Striker Stinger
58" 50#@28

There is a cabin full of dreams in the backwoods of my mind.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Two Wolves, this is the same thing Im trying to achieve.

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I would say that McDave hit the nail-on-the-head for me.  That is, "Instinctive gap - Howard Hill" method.  In my peripheral vision, I notice my arrow point for left and right.  But, I don't consciously set any gap vertically.  Just instinctively feel what is right and shoot.
The work praises the man.

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Two Wolves & bowkevin, I don't quite have a year in yet & I can personally assure you that if you put the time in practicing, you will be shooting where youre looking in no time.
 There is no better feeling than when you start to "get it"
pick a spot, & watch the arrow fly into that spot!!!

I'm addicted to it!!!!!!

Good luck guys   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©