Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Aiming the Arrow - by Jim Ploen  (Read 1970 times)

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aiming the Arrow - by Jim Ploen
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
thanks
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
I'm wondering if the link below includes a copy and paste of the 2nd part that discusses target panic?

http://staf.trinitylongbowmen.com/viewtopic.php?t=595

I found it doing a google search of Jim Ploen.

Offline jw0312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
That was a great read. Thank you for sharing!

Offline rmcpb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Excellent article. Well worth the read  :)
Cheers
Rob Browne

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
is part 2 available?

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by jkcerda:
is part 2 available?
I can't open the link in the original post to know if it's the same or not, but I believe this link includes the part where he talks about target panic:

http://staf.trinitylongbowmen.com/viewtopic.php?t=595

If part 2 talks about target panic, then the above link is probably it.  Interestingly enough, it is very similar to Dr. Jay Kidwell's theory on the cause of target panic.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Thanks for posting this.

After reading it I have been wondering how to compare or combine this with Moebow's rotational draw, or any draw where you don't keep the arrow in a direct line with the target as you draw back.

I understand how the sighting down the shaft during the entire draw in a straight line to target could be good for aiming as the article argues...but it seems like it might be harder to get the same type of bio-mechanically efficient leveraging force and back tension like you do with the rotational draw that Moebow suggests.(I know there are lots of guys that shoot very well this way though, like Terry)

I'm a newbie and have been really trying to work on my form, so I'm just curious about testing out different techniques (even seemingly contradictory ones) in an attempt to distill the best form/style for me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Marley, All you can do is try it out.  Many folks shoot very well using this "pre-aim" style.  Jim P in the article, does mention on page 31 ("second bullet point in the top of the right hand column) to "lay your head over to align the arrow..." so he is getting a "second" aiming alignment after reaching full draw.

My thoughts are ( and they are just that -- THOUGHTS!!) is that trying to maintain an aiming alignment during the draw serves no purpose and tends to make it harder to get proper alignments and back muscle use. (harder, NOT impossible -- as I say, many shoot this way very well).

I just FEEL that getting to full draw is more important than aiming during this part of the shot. Once at full draw, then you are ready to shoot and that is when the aiming should be done again, just A way of thinking about it.

I think of it this way.  If you were going to shoot a rifle (any gun for that matter)  would you aim an empty rifle at a target then once you have your "perfect" aim, load the gun?  To me, it makes no sense to aim before the weapon is ready to fire and for a bow, it is not ready to fire until you are at full draw.

That is why I suggest that using the rotational draw and allowing the arrow to rotate into alignment as your reach anchor, is good for your physical setup and then once there, aiming becomes the next step.  I'd also suggest that IF you do it well, you will be pretty much on target as you reach full draw - anchor.

There are many ways to think about and do this and none of them is inherently right or wrong.  Personal experimentation is the only way to find the best way for you!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply Moebow. Your explanation is well thought out and makes a lot of sense. I think I am going to have to take this conversation to the close bale tomorrow morning if I really want to get to the bottom of it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©