Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Vertical tears HELP!  (Read 535 times)

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
Vertical tears HELP!
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I gotta tell you guys I am pretty demoralized right now. I went to the local archery shop today to paper tune my Centaur. I set the brace height to recommended and then proceeded to set the nock. I was getting horrible ripping 4-6 inch long vertical tears all nock high. I moved the nock lower and lower with no improvement. I then figured I was too low so I moved it up. Still the same ripping tears. I called the shop tech over to ask him his opinion. He checked the arrows and nock and asked if he could shoot it thru paper. His shot was a perfect bullet hole thru the paper! He proceeded to shoot a group I can only dream of at 20 yards with a bow he had never seen before much less shot.
I realize the problem is me. I asked him to watch me but he didn't see any real glaring issues with my form but I don't think he is an instructor, just a damn good shot! The only real difference I noticed is that he didn't pause before releasing like I do, but I don't know that matters. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vertical tears HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
It shouldn't matter how long you hold at anchor, the arrows should fly the same..
Do you shoot split finger or 3 under .That could make quite a difference in arrow flight...A bad loose can create erratic arrow flight as well...
You may be pinching the nock slightly also...

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
I and the tech both shoot three under.

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Post your question on the  pow wow section ,of the site.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Sounds like your release my be your issue. Are you sure you are pulling through your shot and not collapsing at release. I notice a big difference in my arrow flight when I don't pull through my shot.

Good luck

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Finger pressure can cause that type of a reaction. When you draw the bow, how is the pressure distributed on your fingers?
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Go back to the shop and ask him to shoot your bow or his again so you can watch how he hooks the string, and how he releases.. I'll bet you're dragging your fingers and plucking the string..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Roger Savor sr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Well, for one thing, if you and the tech have different draw lengths, then the dynamic spine of the arrow will be different. This alone can account for the disparity. An overly stiff arrow will bounce hard off the rest and cause the exact condition you describe. I've been there and done it. If form/release is not the issue, sounds to me your getting a stiff reaction. Describe your setup, please.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 05:37:00 AM »
I bet it has more to do with how he's putting pressure on the bow then you are.  I was playing with this very thing last night.

If I put more heel in it would get nock lows....if I put more pressure in the web I would get nock highs.....tinker with it see what you get.

The three under and him getting perfect flight would make sense...three under puts more strain on the lower limb (as would heeling the bow more).  

Try putting more heel into the bow and see if that helps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©