Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Release tips  (Read 2018 times)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Release tips
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
A while back, I posted three videos that I had made for some of my archery students.  They seemed to be well received.  They were the videos you may have seen on the "shooting video" on the shooter's forum.  

Here is a video I just made for a refresher class for some of the unsung heroes of archery -- the NASP coaches.  It has some techniques for the coaches to look for in their students and addresses some of the common shooting problems coaches encounter in their students.

I thought that I would post this here for anyone that is interested.  Again, I DO NOT say that this is the way to do it, just offer it as a reference for those that are interested.

11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Release tips
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
I enjoyed your video.  I hadn't given any thought to the wrist being bowed slightly out at the beginning of the draw, and then letting the weight of the draw straighten it out.  I'll have to try that.  Do you do anything to trigger your release, or does it just happen when it happens?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Thanks.  I have no conscious thought when I release.  It just seems to happen when I feel like I'm ready to shoot.  When I'm instructing and demonstrating, I do find that my brain starts to interfere and my release isn't as good; I believe because I'm thinking about it and trying to explain and show.

My brain works best when it is shut down.   :biglaugh:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Im going to give that bowed out wrist a try. Thanks for posting, I always enjoy your video's.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:56:00 AM »
I was shooting in a big 3D competion today and a young lady who was in our group was holding the bow with one finger around and the other fingers open. Upon release she would close her fingers to grip the bow.

Now I do not like to try to change someones form in the middle of a competition, but in this case I had promised to help her today since she had a bet on with her husband about doing dishes.

My only point was that that introduces a whole bunch of variables, and by their nature, variables defeat consistency.

One of the fellows in our group has the craziest form I have ever seen. His bow hand technique is ridiculous combined with a very dead release. About the only thing he does right is shoot lights out that way. The last competition he entered he beat his next closest competitor by 100 points.

Keep those videos coming, top notch teaching tool.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
Red tail,  Thanks.  When you try the wrist idea, remember to let the wrist be relaxed.  It will come to that position naturally.  Don't "force" it.

DDave,  I too have to resist trying to help when I see something like that.  You are right, a competition is the last place to try to correct something.  For years, I've seen the "open hand" bow grip and the catching/grabbing reaction of the bow hand.  The bow hand is the ONLY part of the body that can affect the shot both before and after the release.

Many people think that they are relaxed with their fingers sticking straight out.  Try this experiment.  Totally relax the fingers of your bow hand (they will naturally curl inwards).  Now grab your bow forearm with your other hand and straighten your fingers.  Can you feel the increasing tension in the tendons of your forearm?  That is what I mean when I say "don't use any muscle or tension that is NOT required for the shot.  Every little bit of tension that is not required will lead to increased "shaky-ness" and loss of control.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Great video, good information. Will give it a try, bet it will help me keep a arrow on the rest when I need too shoot reverse cant. Thanks moebow
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline fatzboys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Thanks moebow for that video. watched it last night and try it today.It has helped me in more ways then one.I ended up with better form all together because of watching you shoot.For example,the way i hold the bow,where i anchor,my back tension, all has made me shoot better today.I have a ways to go but i thought i should thank you at this time.So thanks for taking the time to help those who enjoy this sport......

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Excellent video moebow and good tips too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments folks!  As I've said many times in response to my (now) 4 videos.  They are meant to make you think about what you do, how you do it and offer some suggestions.

Archery is no different than anything else, to improve, changes need to be made.  Only you can determine what those changes should be.  Just remember that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different/better results is still the definition of insanity.   :archer2:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline troutguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
graet video im a  new trad archer this video helped.

thanks   sam

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Good stuff Moebow.

Personally, I think of release as a reaction instead of an action. It is part of follow through. Follow through to me starts at expansion and ends two to three seconds after the arrow has left the bow. If I am consciously thinking of just the release I think of a further relaxation of the finger tips in the draw hand. The hands and arms have been already primed during a transfer phase (before expansion) in which tension is transfered to the back.

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Great video....Im just starting to shoot a recurve again after about 20 yrs and Ive got alot of work to do, I know for sure Ive been shooting with tension in my drawing wrist....Im gonna work on this. Thanks.
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 02:43:00 AM »
Good work Moe!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Thank you Rod!  That means a lot coming from one of the "Masters of the Bare Bow."   :archer:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Great stuff Sir! Thanks very much for sharing. I've subscribed to your youtube videos in hopes that I won't miss any more that you decide to put out.
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Thanks Derek!  Any ideas?  What would you folks like to see????

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I'm fairly new to trad so I'm like a sponge...I'll soak up any shooting advice/info available! I really like and appreciate the slower, more deliberate method of instruction that you used in that video.   :thumbsup:
It was very helpful, thanks again!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
My wife and I both watched and learned so much from your video.Thanks for taking the time to help us.We will both work at this.Just the other day one of my widow bows found me needing to hook the string more to keep the arrow from falling off.I will pick it up and use your outward wrist moving inward as I draw.I believe this was just what I needed to learn.So glad I ckecked on the shooters forum or I woulkd have missed this great piece.Please let us know of any more tutorials you post.Thanks again!
see

Offline sffar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the video! The camera angle, and repetition, along with the explanations made it very instructive.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©