Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: who else has trouble shooting both?(update)  (Read 1192 times)

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
who else has trouble shooting both?(update)
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
i have a 2 month old brand new black creek banshee recurve that i cant shoot ,now i can pick his longbows up and hit where im looking,not just his bows ,but all recurves and longbows,ive been shooting trad for 25 years and 98% of the time i shot a longbow.guess i have to face it, i shoot longbows better.i just love the curves of the recurve bow.
i cant get the bow to shoot for me at all ,i have tried all i know ..anyone else in the same boat?
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who else has trouble shooting both?(update)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Never cared much for recurves. Had a few, but they never stick around very long, except one. I seldom shoot it because it's not what I want to shoot, but I have to admit I shoot it as well as some and better than most of my longbows. It's an old bear grizzly.  :dunno:
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
I've shot nothing but recurves since the 60s and do not like how a longbow feels. It must just be me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
I have no definitive evidence for this as of yet, but with some experimentation it seems to me that I shoot Recurves much better than longbows. Go figure... I haven't had a chance to test this hypothesis of mine thoroughly, so take it with a grain of salt.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
Get a Dwyer Endeavor or a Big Jim Thunderchild... longbows with wicked curves, the best of both worlds!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I know what you are talking about. I have tried recurves galore with very poor results, so it has always been longbows for me. I got a fedora hybrid about six months ago and everything started out alright but feel I was not shooting it good enough. Sticking with my "d" style bows from now on! They just seem to shoot where I look for me.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
The only longbows I can shoot are the ones that have a recurve grip.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I don't have a problem shooting either....I shoot recurves on occasion....from tree stands or ground blinds...but 90% of the time I'm shooting a longbow.

Its just a personal thing. If I'm 'sitting', I'll consider the recurve for the hunt....if I'm going mobile...longbow period.  I just like the light weight of the longbow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
I am with you Terry. I started with recurves and then went three piece longbows now I am shooting one or two piece longbows. The light weight just feels so good in the hand. Haven't picked up a recurve in months.

Offline BigStriper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
I'm like Terry,I don't have a problem shooting either a Longbow or a Recurve Well, but I do like some Bows better because the of the way the Riser is shaped,I feel if you are Comfortable with the Riser on the Bow you will Shoot it Better,Must be the Looks and Feel,But I prefer Longbows,

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
I did and decided to give up on longbows and just stay with the recurve.  I think the biggest difference for me was with my hand position on the grip, now of course I could have shot a more modified longbow grip, but really that would be nothing more then a straight limb recurve.  For me if I was shooting my recurves and picked up the longbow I could shoot it very well, but if I was shooting the longbow alot and went back to the recurve I shot it like crap.  I got enough to worry about shooting, don't need to add anymore variables in the mix.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
well played with it some more,i got all confused about the arrow kick/spine deal.my recurve is a black creek banshee TDR ,38lbs at 28",im thinking 38 lbs ,600 spine.nope i dug up some goldtip 3555 pro shafts  full length and 125 grains ,im drilling a snuff can on the hay bale at 10,20,and 30 yards ,i was shocked! the bow also has a skinny 8 strand string ,jim gainey said it would probaly change what spine arrow ,he sure was right.think im keeping this one.it shoots to darn good!
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
I can shoot both without much trouble. Started with a recurve in 1957, never shot a R/D LB until last summer, it's a little different but not by much.

Glad you worked it out.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Jeff Nash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
I have been shooting both regularly and have become a lot more comfortable switching between them. I seem to shoot my Widow recurves the most consistantly, but shoot well with my OPA longbow and if I am shooting daily my HH usually makes the target.. I guess it's because of the draw weight on the Hill bow, but when I skip a few days my groups spread out noticably more on it than the others. I really enjoy shooting the different bows, but often wonder how much I would improve overall if I just stuck with one...
"During times of universal deceit,telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" George Orwell

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
I am pretty new to trad and am currently shooting a Hill Country recurve and a Timberhawk longbow. They both shoot very well. I feel the recurve would have advantages in a treestand but the longbow is my sentimental favorite. Longbows are what brought me over to the stick side.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
I'm the opposite, can't shoot a longbow worth a damn.

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
I have both a longbow and recurve, and for me it varies... just when i think that I got the longbow down, I cant hit crap with it the next day. I think that most of my inconsistancies are due to my anchor.  Swiching from a hill style longbow grip back to a recurve for some reason makes me a little loose on my anchor point.  I feel that the recurve is so comfortable for me to hold that I just rip it back and let it go(feels more natural).  The hill style grip on my longbow on the other hand, is definetly as not as natural/comofortable therefore I am making a concious effort not to torgue, keep same anchor etc... When I'm at fulldraw with the recurve I'm in the mind set that everything looks and feels so right that I'm definetly gonna shoot straight. WRONG!
Some days I'm proficient some days I'm not.   :D

Offline wolfeyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
I have and shoot both.  I started just shooting recurve. One of the guys in our archery league shoots longbow and has allowed me to shoot several of his bows. I seemed to be able to shoot them well. So I bought a couple. I have a selfbow #70, a #50 PSE and a #50 Martin Stick. I really like the Martin but the other two shoot well also. That said I must admit I would rather shoot the recurve. Hell,if it was good enough for Fred Bear it's good enough for me.
Robin Hood. There is a name that has cost men many good arrows.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
I can't tell much difference in accuracy, but prefer the look and feel of hybrid longbows.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
I tried both but couldn't shoot the longbow. The grip to me isn't very comfortable. I would love to shoot a Schrew though. Does Ron do any kind of "Test drive" before you buy type thing?
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©