Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Understanding finger pressure  (Read 606 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Understanding finger pressure
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
It's that time of year again where I have been working on my form and equipment bugs. I have notice that I have a bigger calis on my ring finger(right handed) than my index or bird finger. I have always had this no matter if I shoot over & under or 3 under. Right now I am shooting over & under. I use to have a high elbow problem(self taught bad habit) that would cause this maybe but I feel I have improved on that. Any suggestion from some you that are form masters or is it normal?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Understanding finger pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Twitchstick,  A high elbow will contribute but also look to your string arm and wrist.  If they are as relaxed as possible, your fingers will have a more even distribution of pressure.  You might check out the video I posted recently on the "release tips" thread.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline tyu888

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I am right handed and I have the same thing on my ring fingure even with cordovan tab..Need to work on my releases...Thanks...
Black Widow PLX-Osage 66" #41
21St Century by Jim & Buddy 66" #43
Diamond Black Ice Compound 60#
Damon Howatt Freedom 60" #40

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Moebow that is a good video. I like the your relaxed wrist demo it made me remember of few things I had not thought of for awhile. One thing I do differant is I shoot off my finger tips more than a deep hook. I have been playing around with it more with a deep hook but I have yet to get as good of release that way. That maybe because I have shoot off my finger tips for so long. Thanks for the video.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Glad it helped.  I, too, shot off my finger tips for years.  When I learned about the deeper hook my shooting improved greatly.  The big problem with the finger tips is that kind of a wave or dam of fingertip flesh rolls ahead of the string.  This is a great cause of spectacular calluses.  I had them for years.  Learning the deep hook and the relaxed fingers on release = absolutely no calluses what so ever.  I thank Rod Jenkins for that one.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
PS.  You don't need as much tension in your hand or forearm with a deeper hook.  Less tension is a great formula for better shooting.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
i have very little pressure on my ring finger shooting 3 finger split, so i' surprised you even have a callus on yours? guess thats why everyone has a little bit different form
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
I went to the range today and applied the deep hook and the relaxed wrist to my shooting. It took me a little while to get the feel for it but it did seem to help. Having the relaxed wrist at the begining of the draw has help the most. Other than a few plucks of the string while getting use to the deep hook I did shoot above average today.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
I use to have a sore ring finger also. What I discovered what I was doing was torquing the string. I was canting the bow but bringing my string hand nearly vertical on anchor. It put a lot of pressure on the ring finger. If your canting the bow, keep your string hand at the same angle all the way back to anchor and threw the release. See if it makes a difference.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
At the end of a long practice session my ring finger is always the sorest!  I think that I may be shooting off my tips!

Offline Brian K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
OK, so Im getting a VERY sore pointer finger where it sits on top of the arrow (split grip).  I have a 29" draw and am shooting an old Bear Bearcat Takedown (55@28).  

I think its finger pinch but when I shoot my Kodiak Hunter (50@28, 60")it I don't have near the trouble and it actually string up about 1" shorter then the Bearcat TD.

Any suggestions?
There's only 7 days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Brian K,

Soreness in your index finger on the inside is either caused by you putting to much downward pressure on the nock.......or as you stated, the string pinching your finger down into the nock.

I've been there.......and done that. That is the main reason that I switched to three-under. After switching though......my release was cleaner and I just stuck with it and no longer have even the slightest bit of tenderness on any of my fingers.

If I shoot shorter length bows a bunch (60" and under) it causes a callous on my ringfinger, but it only happens with shorter bows.

Oh, and I shoot with a deep hook and draw a true 29 3/4" also.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Brian K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
Thanks Winterhawk 1960.

I tried a deeper hook and went to a tab. Having less  material around the finger seemed to reduce the pressure.  So far and thats helping.  I think sting pinch is my biggest issue but I would like to stay with a shorter (58 or 60") bow for maneuverability.  Ive tried 3 under, but just have not been able to make the switch and get the consistency I want.
There's only 7 days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©