Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow hand, arm, and shoulder.  (Read 496 times)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow hand, arm, and shoulder.
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I've recently come off of a decent shooting streak... Good 30 yard groups (pie plate) and increasingly better as I get closer. I mentioned that I CAME OFF, way off! I'm now at the point where my shooting generally slides to the point where I break down and pick up the training wheels.

I'm pretty determined not to let this happen this time around. I need to be patient...

Either way, I'm thinking the problem is my bow arm and shoulder. I did alot of drawing back in front of a mirror today with an arrow marked for proper draw length. I found that maybe 1/2 the time I was not at full draw when at anchor, but could get there by "re-engaging" my back muscles and starightening my bow arm which results in my bow shoulder coming down, bringing my shoulders to the same pitch as the arrow. At times I know I can get a high elbow, but I recognize this pretty quick and solve it with paying attention to my back tension.

When I'm shooting well I just feel "lined up" with the target. When I'm shooting bad. I always come back to my release (another post, but I have a good handle on it...I think), follow through, or bow hand being inconsistent.

Does this make any sense? Are there any suggestions?

Best regards,

Brian

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow hand, arm, and shoulder.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
BB,  If you could post a video of you shooting that would really help.  "re-engaging" is generally a loosing proposition.  If you loose back tension,let down and start over.  Try not to make a shot if something is wrong -- start over again.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Most of us go through slumps where we don't shoot as well as we have been.  Usually, you don't know what the reason is, so you guess at one thing after another.  The only good thing about going through a slump is that when you finally figure it out, then the next time you make the same mistake, you'll know it, and you will be able to correct it much quicker.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Being right handed, I find that if I don't come to full draw I shoot low and immediately know it. If I shoot left or low left I know I am dropping my bow arm prematurely, and not following through.

Though I shoot pretty accurately if I don't fully tension my back muscles, I know something is off and do adjust.

I haven't had a really big problem shooting, but if I did I would do blank bale shooting to bring it back under control, after all the trick is not to have to think about form at all while shooting.

Hope this helps and good luck
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
My brother shot some vid this afternoon. Today I was doing better, almost OK again. So when I get around to it. the vid may look OK, but any small issues are probably what is creeping up and getting me.

I did find that today, when I slowed the shot way down, and started with the bow out in front, enough to see the arrow being drawn in my peripheral vision. I was able to engage my back muscles much earlier in the draw cycle. Doing this also helped to make sure I was pulling inline with things. I also needed to re-visit how I address the string which was getting pretty poor. When I shoot well I have a pretty deep hook. String Almost 1/2 way between the 1st and 2nd joint of the middle finger. String in the 1st joint of the index and ring finger.

More or less, I was probably getting pretty sloppy. I think I need to shoot less during practice and practice with more purpose, or this cycle will continue to repeat itself.

Thanks,

Brian

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Buy or make a formaster and work with it. It will get those back muscles involved real quick.

Yesterday I saw two very good shots at 3-D experience slumps. It happens to all of us.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
It happens to everybody,from time to time.It isn't easy to mantain the same form and concentration for long sessions of shooting.Concentrate well on the first arrow.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©