Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Please, heavy bow shooter only.  (Read 1454 times)

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please, heavy bow shooter only.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
I've found that for myself if I draw the arrow fast my release is in time with my draw and if I draw the arrow slowly my release slows down to my draw time on all my bows lights 55lbs and heavys 73lbs.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Personally, if I am shooting heavy bow (or even light bows), I draw quickly using the momentum of the motion to conserve energy. This seems opposite from some of the posts that I have seen.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
It seams to me that if I am focusing on the target before I draw the bow I am pulling the bow more slowly and my release seams to also be longer [holding the draw] as I am paying more attention to the target.  By the same if I draw the bow quickly it seams to me that I am not holding the bow as long before my release happens.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I shoot less then 40 arrows at a time, every other day. I can shoot more but my form  becomes compromised. Again, I draw relatively slow and I do hold full draw for a moment. I have a buddy who shoots monstrous war bows and he swears by a quick draw but I dont see how you could do that without hurting yourself.

Offline Viadei

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
I have a 75# bow and my release varies with how the shot 'feels', sometimes this is means a snap release, sometimes its up to a 2 second hold.  Personally I tend to draw quickly and I think that reduces your conscious impute interfering with your subconscious calculations, but to each his own.  Now when I'm shooting at a moving target my releases are almost always snap releases because the bow, as it is being drawn, is already tracking the target and that movement inherently steadies your shot in a way that a simple draw on a static target cannot.  

On a static target the bow is drawn and one is trying to minimize movement to keep tighter groups. Snap shooting on static targets involves the bow tracking as the bow is drawn from a point of aim at ones feet to where the upward movement to full draw coincides with the spot one intends to hit.  My advice would be don't wait for any premeditated count, hold it until the release feels right, however long or short that count might be.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
My usuall weight is 60-70 but no fear of 70-80. I usually draw slow and release when I hit my anchor in one smooth motion. I practice ultra slow sometimes for when actually drawing on game but if I am shooting 3D its pretty much a quick touch and go. Its years of muscle memory and it works for me.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©