Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: seriously how accurate are you.(20 yards)  (Read 4265 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: seriously how accurate are you.(20 yards)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
x2 on the release bucky- thats my biggest weakness.
calgary chef taught me an interresting philosophy, just keep stepping back until you find your maximum distance that you remain within your personal grouping size with consistant shooting, and that is your maximum  hunting range- to many people get hung up on the distance thing- which is ok if you are a competition target shooter- and make no mistake- i really respect those people- super concentration each shot!!
in the same vein as what Doug was saying.
calgary chef also showed me that beyond his max, instinct range- he had a point of aim range- and he would ascertain that for his bow- say 30 yds- then for those long shots he would try and judge the distance- then still using the point of aim system-AND NOT CHANGING IT!! he would just aim high or low on the target- kinda like fixed sights on a rifle.
i saw him get a kudu bull at 35 yards- which i paced out!!
although that was probably lucky, and if he used his semi auto shotgun more he'd prolly get more meat on his table;)

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I would suspect form, bow weight and bow/arrow tune are all probably some of the issues you are having with consistency, but I can tell you that you will shoot your best when your arrows are matched and tuned to the bow and flying as well as they can.  It makes for a much more forgiving setup and your accuracy and consistency will increase.  To get it even better you will need to work on your form and consistency as well.
For all practical purposes accuracy at 20yds should be very good from most good shooters, in fact when I am shooting good I worry about busting nocks at 20yds although I will throw a flyer out every now and then, this type of accuracy at a consistent range should be expected not just count on luck and most should work to attain better accuracy!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by SAM E. STEPHENS:
It is always that first arrow that counts , how are your first several shots of the day.Also agree with the light bow and close shooting.As for my 20yd group havent done it in a while I seldom shoot at the same target at the same distance , I have a dozen 3Ds in my back yard all in different locations and never shoot the same shot.
Good point of the first arrow question. I seem to shot well on my first, then downhill from there - snap shoot, short draw, etc...
Thanks
K

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Two things, first, everyone is a better shot on the internet. Second, snakeskin induces serious inaccuracy due to harmonic dampening of the limb's resonant frequency.

Seriously, don't measure yourself against how well anyone else shoots. It's not the bow, unless you're overbowed or have the wrong arrows. Something has changed in your form. Get closer, forget about groups and targets.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
x2 nj.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by zetabow:
Think this is were the focus and discipline comes into play with the 300 round, it was shot by both target archers and hunters alike.

When I shoot any arrow I ALWAYS approach it as my one and only shot, if your just pounding the target for groups then you will get fliers because focus will drift
I think it was Terry Ragsdale who said many years ago that he didn't approach a 300 round as a 60-arrow tournament, but 60 1-arrow tournaments. It seems simple, almost cliche, but really makes a lot of sense.

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
NJwoodsman I was not trying to say it was the snake skins that caused me to shoot worse. I just wish I would have shot it alot more before I decided to have them skins put on.I would have ordered a new set of limbs had them skined and probably sold these. The bow is probably a little heavy but after taking some advice from some of you guys I deafantly have been shooting better. And yes to one of the post I can hold at full draw for ten seconds with out to much problem(had my son time me). But as some one else said I have found that when I get to full draw I do better to hold it just a second or less, has also seemed to help.I find I dont have time to second guess myself.Love shooting the bow, just always looking to shoot better.And maybe trying to convince my self I need another bow to compare to(excuse to buy a bow from big jim if work ever picks up)Thanks to all those that had GOOD advice.

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
I like woodsman comment about everyody being a better shot on the internet. LOL that's a good one, but how true it is. I guess it depends on how many beers I have while I'm shooting.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dave Coalter:
I like woodsman comment about everyody being a better shot on the internet. LOL that's a good one, but how true it is. I guess it depends on how many beers I have while I'm shooting.
If I believed some of the stuff I read on other forums, the way they write, they never missed a shot. Seems I'm just an average shot and glad I never meet any of these guys at tourneys     :archer2:

Offline cashhere

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I too think that shooting a bow you are comfortable with is the key and of coarse practice. I began to improve my accuracy when I drooped my bow weight and also began using my back muscles as for years I used my arm w/o adding the back tension. As I read more here on TG I kept picking up on pointers from those who had been taught properly to shoot. Try to hang in there Critter69. Proper arrow spine and point weight to your bow is super important. I hope you will keep trying. I have had many times through the years when I would get in a funk, looking back I was messing with multiple bows and weights. I now shoot a 46# 58" Griffin and I am shooting more accurate concentrating on just shooting it. I do believe dropping from 55 and 50 to 46 did help in my case. Did not mean to write a book here LOL

Offline kenner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Critter: When I shot a lot, I was stacking arrows at 20 yds with my Browning recurve, no sights. Anyone can do this.  Once you get your bow and arrows tuned, it's just a matter of focusing on the smallest spot possible.. a meditation.  Don't be lookin' at your arrow, or anything else,, just what you want to hit.

It's probably not your bow. Please look for articles on "tuning" your bow and your arrows. The addition of anything to your bow, or your arrows, will change the way it shoots, usually, by slowing your bow down, requiring softer arrows; or, if the mass is added to the arrow, it will soften the arrow and you'd need a stiffer arrow. Both can/will have dramatic effects.

1st: There's a magic spot for your nock point; check to see what your bow maker recommends and what other bow makers recommend, to get a general range. Get yourself a bow square and a tool to attach and remove a nock point. After I find the sweet spot, I tie a nock point with dental floss and get rid of the metal. Your broadheads may require a slightly different nock point than your field points, depending on the weight and dynamics.

2nd: Sounds like you've changed the bow and therefore the arrow spine required. You can best play with this by getting a wide range of field points, from 85gr to 145gr; and you can add weight to them. 25 grains of tip weight equates to 3 pounds of draw wt.

3rd: Another major effect of your arrow is length; 1"= 5 pounds of draw wt!!

Since you've added something to your bow, I would imagine that you've slowed it down, requiring softer shafts; just for grins, try adding 25 grains of tip wt., or shooting a longer arrow and see what happens. If it's going the wrong way, change up and reduce tip wt. shorten your arrow.

There are a lot of things that will affect your bow's performance, including what type/mass of string you have and if you use silencers what the mass of those silencers are and how far from the bow tip they're placed.

Changing your brace height makes a difference. Find the recommended range for your bow. Even a couple twists of the string, one way or the other will affect your groups.

Your arrows should wobble a bit, coming off your shelf, but not radically. Again, find some info on bow/arrow tuning and don't sell your bow yet. Bows are like musical instruments; one tiny thing can be slightly off and it can produce drastically bad results. But when it's right, the music is sweet!

Good luck!!..... Ken

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Dang....some of you need to get out more with some serious hunters .....I've been around some DAMN good shots.....LOTS of them.  Most of them never talk about 'groups', 'shoots' or 'tourneys'...but shoot they do let me tell ya. Most of them don't post on this forum either.

Jason Wesbrock is included in one I know....even though he just posted here.

Most of the guys I know that actually kill stuff on a consistent basis are WAY better than average. That's in the field...not the internet. When you spend time stump shooting with fellow hunters....you can find out real quick.  

I remember one group we had shooting at a prickly pair paddle at Solana once at around 50 yards....its was scary at the accuracy of that group let me tell ya. And one of them was 13 year old Skyler Wilson.

Just my observation,....from someone who does not compete against other archers.....but hunts a lot with other successful bowhunters.  Not sure how they would do on 'the butts'....but I don't think they care.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
definitely something about living, breathing targets that'll bring out a real hunter's A-game...

can't add to the prickly pear details, wasn't there----but it sounds like a good way to kill some Texas limestone rocks, which i prefer to do with Wensel Woodsman heads
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
Too Funny Joel....who you kidding.....rocks my a....

I heard tale of the guides jaws dropping when you bailed out of the truck and shot that running boar.

Let alone all the deer you killed out there.    :readit:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
About this accurate.

The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
ohhh, that definitely left a mark
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline kenner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
Hey, y'all,, Critter was asking for advice, not knee-slappin' "whatever" comments.  I, too, expect to find real knowledge and specifics here, at this site.

Please don't make light of someone's request for factual advice.  In-the-field experience is great advice, but only if he's going out there with his equipment properly tuned.

Elevate this site to a place where people can get good, solid info.

Thanks!... Ken

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
There's no way I would base how good of a shot I am in trying to shoot groups at a target.  On a normal day I walk out my back door, shoot one arrow at my target, pull it and move into the woods for the first stump and just keep going never shooting twice at the same thing.  Standing in front of a target trying to shoot tight groups is for the guy with a pin on his bow.
     That being said I know guys who couldn't put 3 arrows in the entire bale but take game with great shots every year.  I know others who can shoot with the compound guys on a 3-D course and push them all day long.
     Take your bow to the woods where there is no known distances and shoot.  Feel the bow and feel the shot.  I guarantee you won't get rid of your bow once you get to know it.  That's what traditional shooting is all about.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Kenner....did not mean to make light of anyone's questions.  I was addressing other comments made.  I just see a lot of comments from folks that there really aren't a lot of good shooters...only average....I guess that is true...but MOST of the guys I hunt with are great shots.  As far as elevating this site....we are all about telling people what they CAN do rather then what they CAN'T do which I use to see on all the other sites.  We STRIVE to elevate here.  

I see you just registered....have a look around on this forum and you will see what I'm talking about.  We don't make 'light' of being a good shot.  We are all about improving.

OK....here is my answer....

Broadside profile with wife\\'s commentary   2.0 MEG  wmv file

Over the Pond....multi-cant angles

CRITTER....DO NOT aspire to be average, or be told that you will be average.  You can be as good as you desire if you commit to doing so.

I would be glad to help....I really get a kick out of seeing guys improve.  If you can video yourself that might be the best thing.  Check out the member improvement videos stickied at the top, as well as the forum clock thread. If you get down south....let me know.

email me if you would like to chat...

[email protected]

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by critter69:
I bought a morrison shawnee from a gentalman on here about 9 months ago. Got the bow, I thought I shot it great, noraml group size 7 inches. Sent it to bob morrison had snake skins put on it. Shoot it about every day.And have not been able to consistantly shoot under a 14 inch group in the last 4 months. I feel far from confident trying to hunt with it. Just wondering truth fully what group size is average?(20 yards and be honest    :help:   )I think iam going to sell the bow but I cant post on here as I dont think I have 100 posts. So if any one knows where I can list it I would appreciate it. Iam just very frustrated,and love the whole traditional bow thing(love the bows) but If I cant hunt with it I dont want it.
#1.  If I made a change, and changed only one thing, and thereafter my group size doubled I certainly would undo what had been done.  Are you sure you didn't reverse the limbs top-to-bottom?

I judge myself this way.  Every morning I go to my basement and take one shot at a 20 yard bale.  It has five 6" black rings with 3" white centers.  If I put the first shot in the white center I an very happy with myself.  If it's in the black ring I'm happy.  And if it is within 2" of the black it's still a dead deer at 20 yards but I'm not satisfied and shoot four more arrows (one at each of the five rings).  

Some days I'm definately "hotter" than others and can keep 5 arrows in a 4" or 5" group centered in the ring.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©