Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anchor Point, Back Tension, and that Unintentional Release thing  (Read 659 times)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Recently after having a chat with my friend Bisch about what does a superb shooter like himself get coached on in a Rod Jenkin's clinic, I began to do some research here in the archived topics on shooting.  Rod has posted a lot of helpful info in those threads.  I have been struggling with the whole "close the door with your elbow" thing in order to achieve proper back tension and that sought after "unintenional release".  

I read with interest (and watched the videos he has posted numerous times) Rod's simple decision about changing his anchor point.  In an effort to solve my own struggles I thought that if I moved my anchor point to a solid piece of bone, and upwards and outwards away from the corner of my mouth (where I've anchored since I was a boy) that I might zone in on more consistent results.  It worked....but not merely because of the repeatable anchor point.

Now I anchor with my middle finger on the underside of my cheekbone which is approximately 1" higher and 1/2" more outboard on my face.  The end result was that as I continued to apply back tension from this anchor point my hand flew straight backwards, releasing the string on its' own, and the arrows flew dead straight to my point of aim.  What I had done by moving my anchor point up/out was to put my shoulder in such a position as to free up the range of motion allowing it to very easily rotate around towards my spine.  I continue to practice this in a blind bale format at close range as well as out to 25 yards.  It has lowered my point of impact somewhat, but that can easily be adjusted to.  

Also, to verify what I was seeing and feeling on my range, I put my homemade formaster on.  Instead of a dead solid drawing elbow upon release, I am now feeling that when the tension in the straps hits me at release, that my shoulder and elbow are still moving rearwards and around.

I'm hoping this little "A HA!" moment will be of benefit to others here that have trouble rotating their shoulders around.

I'd like to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Rod and to Bisch for helping me along by feeding me enough information to try this change.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anchor Point, Back Tension, and that Unintentional Release thing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Anybody done Rods course, how does he explain feeling of back tension.

For me its just a balanced 50/50 push pull, if as Rod says balanced push/pull at anchor and then excessive pull to pull through to conclusion, to me this will upset the balance of 50/50 push/pull.

I'm just holding at anchor and maintaining 50/50 push pull, back tension for me is like a cup of water with a hole in the bottom, as you holding your muscles will start to fatigue so you will have to slightly increase push/pull tension to maintain control (i.e not to creep\\collapse).

Is Rod just explaining the same thing in a slightly different way, I also have concerns about touching the sholder for conclusion, when you do this it looks to me like the elbow dips down, this is not a good thing to do in my book.

No disrespect to Rod and not saying he's wrong, just different to my own method.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Rod doesn't advocate "excessive" pulling to conclusion.  I've seen many folks reference that-incorrectly.  He advocates "increased" pulling to conclusion and I think may better be desribed as "continued" pulling to conclusion (which is required to prevent collapse).  His instruction sounds the same as you have described.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Thanks Jim    :)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
zetabow,

I've been to Rod's class and will try to answer your questions.  I think you are closer to what he advocates than you may think.

Rod's explanation of the feel of back tension is to hold an arrow in both hands, raise it to about nose level and try to pull it apart using your back muscles.  He also uses a form master a lot in his classes and this is really the best way to learn the feel that he's talking about.  Both for the draw (using your elbow to get a rotational or angular draw) and for the release sequence.  On the release, don't let the strap of the form master pull your elbow forward.  The harder you "resist the strap" the better.

When you shoot without the form master after a few shots with it, you will get the dynamic release that he advocates.  He is also not "hard over" on the touching the shoulder but insists that you have a consistent follow through position.

If done this way, on release, your string arm elbow should/will move from its full draw position towards your back and down.  Ideally it will move in about a 45* angle toward you back.

This is also very much the same form that is advocated by the National Training System as being the best release and follow through.  Your string arm hand will end up at the back of your neck or on the top of the shoulder.  If done correctly, you can't stop it.

Rod refers to this as a "strong shot" and says, " You can't shoot them too strong."

Rod,  if I screwed up this explanation, please chime in.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Very good explanation of the process Arne.  For the life of me I could not get my shoulder to rotate around properly with my anchor at the corner of my mouth.  Something as simple as moving anchor to a more upward and outward location allowed my shoulders the range of motion necessary to move in the proper manner to achieve the results I was looking for.
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
I'm not sure if I can explain what Rod taught us in his class but I 'll give it a shot. Rod said after you reach your ancher you should continue expanding your draw by rotating your elbow backwards( as if trying to touch someone behind you) and at the same time push your bow hand slightly towards the target. While doing this you need to keep your string hand and forearm relaxed. At some point as your elbow rotates back your fingers will slip of the string to created the supprised release. This movement if done correctly will cause your string hand to slip back to your shoulder upon release. During our class he tied a string together( in a big loop) that we could use to simulate drawing a bow. You could use this simple tool to help you learn what muscles to use in drawing your bow, to achieve proper back tension.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 05:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Greg Dearth:
 You could use this simple tool to help you learn what muscles to use in drawing your bow, to achieve proper back tension.
Thanks Greg, I have a Formaster and use an warm up/exercise stretch band to simulate release.

I'm not looking to learn Rods method, as I'm already very happy with my form and the results it's giving me, I'm also a qualified Fita level 1 & 2 coach and been trained by a top Korean olympic coach.

I just wanted to understand a little better what he was telling people in his courses. I think it's great that the Trad world is now taking coaching a little more seriously and not just trying to learn from friends or self taught. I see the standard of shooting getting better, which is a good thing for everybody.

Did you know the Koreans have recently joined the IFAA, will be interesting to see what divs they will shoot and to what level over the coming years.

Thanks         :)

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Cool Rob! I hope it works out for you. I am still struggling a bit with the expansion to release thing but know that if i ever "get it" it will make me shoot better.

See ya soon,

Bisch

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Bisch...just for grins...or to see what I mean about range of motion...anchor at your cheekbone.  Really...you're not too old of a dog...lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©