Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Very Pleased.  (Read 577 times)

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
Very Pleased.
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
I joined the ranks of trad shooters this March.

I bought a Beowulf Recurve 62" 56lbs @28".

An absolutely beautiful bow.

Been a bow hunter for a number of years and I finally decided to give a traditional bow a try.

I sure am glad I did!  It has been an absolute pleasure figuring the ins and outs of traditional archery.

I've been shooting steady since March and all I can say is I'm feeling about as confident as I can feel in anticipation of the upcoming deer season in September.

A huge thanks to a couple of friends of mine who are new to trad but not as new as me.  They gave me some helpful tips and inspiration on learning the ropes of trad archery.

And a huge thanks to this forum!  I've learned so much reading all the valuable information here.  I would have never gotten this far if it wasn't for this forum and the wealth of knowledge the members here have generously posted on it.

I've gone from not even knowing how to string/unstring the bow when it arrived at my house to shooting 20yd groups such as this.

Can't wait to climb a tree and try to stick a Ga whitetail in September!

Again, Thanks Trad Gang!

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Very Pleased.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Good shooting!

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Congrats, nice shooting. Good luck this season.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:     :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Good shooting and good luck!
bolong

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Good shootin Mr Bucky  :thumbsup:
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
It's pretty amazing you are able to shoot a group like that at 20 yards, after just 5 months. Please tell us how you practiced!

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by NJWoodsman:
It's pretty amazing you are able to shoot a group like that at 20 yards, after just 5 months. Please tell us how you practiced!
I'll be completely honest.  I didn't do anything really by the "book" so to speak when it comes to rookies getting into trad.

I went all in and had a custom bow made for me.  62" Beowulf Recurve made by Tony Semenuk of White Wolf Bows.  56lbs at 28"

What got me interested was a buddy of mine bought a Howatt Monterey.  I may have that wrong on his bow, but I know it's close.

He brought it down to hunting camp this January and asked me if I wanted to give it a whirl.  I tried it out and started hitting the target pretty consistently at 15yds.  I'd never shot a recurve or any other trad bow before.

It just kind of..instantly came to me.  It felt natural.  Before I shot, he instructed me on the basics.  How to hold it, 3 under hold vs. split finger hold, etc..  And I took it from there.

I was so surprised how I shot and how fun it was, I ordered my bow in Feb. and recieved it in mid March.

Had to call another friend of mine on how to use the stringer I bought from it to put the string on it!

Then with some printed out sheets of info on how to properly tune the bow, that I gathered from this website, I went out in the back yard and started shooting and figuring it out.

I finally got the field tip/broadhead weights right, brace height, nocking point, and FOC right on the money for my bow.

I normally walk out and start shooting at 30yds..

I know, not what most people do.  But I can hit the kill zone of my target fairly consistently.

I also toss empty water bottles or pine cones all around my yard from 10yds out to 65yds and everything in between and start stump shooting those.

I like to start out far off and move my way in closer.  If I'm throwing out a 4-5" group at 30yds, the 20yd, 15yd, and 10yd shots feel like a walk in the park.

And if you have the means, shoot out to 50yds and beyond!  It's really fun, would never ever think about shooting at any game animal that far, but it's awesome when you connect on the target at that range.  I think shooting that far really hones your shooting form and especially your release.  You can't be off with your release or form shooting that far.  Everything has to be dang near perfect if you even want to get the arrow close to a 16.9oz water bottle at 60yds! lol!

And... If I'm having an off day, I put the bow up.

I know when I'm not hitting my anchor point, plucking the string, or not fully focused on my target..  And if I can't get my focus just right after a couple of arrows, I sign off and come back the next day fresh and mentally "cleansed".

I also like to shoot when it's almost dark out.

I can see the target, but just barely.  I'll get about 15yds from it and focus and shoot.  Kind of like shooting blind, but it helps me really take a mental snapshot of my form and burn it, sear it into my mind.  When you walk up to your target and you have 3 arrows almost touching in the bullseye, that's when you know your form, release, and mental game is right on the money.

That's how I go about practicing with my recurve.  Hope there is something in there for you or anybody in there to use.

And for the record, I know I'm a rookie and not trying to come across as a know it all.  I'm just answering a question.  ;)  I'm always open minded and up to any and every kind of advice there is to know.  There is always room for improvement no matter what!!  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©