Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: W/3 Under; arrow comes of shelf when drawing?  (Read 669 times)

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
W/3 Under; arrow comes of shelf when drawing?
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Hello Trad Gangers:

I noticed that once in a while, my arrow will come off the shelf of the riser when I go to draw.  I shoot three under and use the set-arm draw method.  I also shoot with the bow nearly vertical.

What is causing this?  The reason I am concerned is that I don't want this to happen in a hunting shot situation.  I have the brass nock set at 3/4'' and one another nock (tied with serving and with a small gap b/w the arrow nock) below.

Also, what do I need to do to prevent this?  

any help with this situation will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Duane
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: W/3 Under; arrow comes of shelf when drawing?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Try putting more of the pressure on fingers 2 and 3. I had the same issue and found i was pulling the bow with to much pressure "bow poundage" on the index finger. Let all fingers share the load.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Relax the drawing forearm, draw the bow with your back and the arrow coming off the shelf issues disappear....relaxing the forearm cures many other shooting issues as well!

Not wanting to disagee...but IMO always use a second nock on the string, whether shooting 3 under or split...with approximately a 3/32" between the arrow nock and second nock.... reason being the arrow is nocked above actual center of the string, so as soon as the fingers clear the string, the arrow tends to move towards the center of the string.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Thanks Guys. I especially like what Shooto8S suggests.  I never really thought of relaxing my forearm.  This makes alot of sense because when I was having the 'arrow coming off the shelf', it occurred in pressure shooting situations & when I was tired.  I'm thinking this must have put unnecessary strain on things.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I want to say that after reading Shooto8s post I went out and quickly figured out why my arrows were coming off nock high after moving the nock point down almost so the arrow was 90 degrees to the string.  I have been having a helluva time with my Hoyt Buffalo and went through several technical attempts to correct the arrow slap you could hear as the arrow came off the shelf.  But relaxing the entire forearm cured it all.  Wow...what a difference and its such a subtle change in form.  After watching Moebow's release tips video I knew to relax the hand. As I relaxed my string hand my groups improved some but I still had the arrow slap on the riser.   But it never occurred to me I also had tension in my forearm.  

Great posts!   thanks guys.

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
I too went out and tried what was suggested by Shooto8s and it seems to be working!  Thanks for the advice.  

Its amazing on how much doing certain 'little' things can help with one's shooting.  I still have much to learn and look forward to ironing out other issues with my form.  No doubt I have some issues that I am not fully aware of.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©