Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gap Shooting  (Read 585 times)

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Gap Shooting
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I am looking for and article or post that explains Gsp Shooting. Or anyone on here.

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gap Shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Quickest way. Do a search in powwow and the shooting forum. Should find what your looking for.
Aim small miss small

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
The most simple way to explain it is that you use the tip of your point as a sight. Put it on the target or just below it etc.
John

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Three Rivers Archery has a series of DVDs called Masters of the Barebow and Vol 1 has a good explanation of gap shooting by Rod Jenkins.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Here is something I posted on another site two years ago.  Here is the  Link  to the original.

Someone said a gap shooter cannot quantify results? Let me explain. I will show hard evidence, and mathematical fact. I cannot post pictures because I use a mobile device, but I will do the best I can with the written word.
The First thing one does is get a 4 foot by 4 foot target, much like those at the typical shooting range. Next, get some big white poster paper or large white construction paper, at least 2 feet by 2 feet. In the center of this paper draw a 2 foot by 2 foot cross like this (+) next, draw a one inch circle with black marker and color it in. Next, take a ruler or tape measure and make another dot on the vertical one inch above the one you made in the center. Continue doing this until you reach the top of vertical cross. Do the same below center on vertical cross.

What you end up with, is something just like a rifle scope reticle with mil dots. The next thing you do is stand at 5 yards or 10, whichever you prefer to start at. Draw your bow, and put the tip of the arrow on the center dot, and let her fly. Keep in mind good form, and a bow weight you can handle is key. Take note that at the short distance, where the arrow impacts the target, use the 1inch vertical dot you plotted to measure how many inches high the arrow is by aiming point on center, at that distance. The average is about 11 inches high at that distance. Next, move back to 15 yards, repeat the process. Aiming at the same center dot, with the point of the arrow, at every distance change. Take note of arrow impact for every change in yardage.

Continue the process out to your maximum comfort range, or until you reach a distance where the arrow impracts center dot, when holding arrow tip on the same center dot. You can also continue past center, to plot arrow drop at longer distances. Record the full data while you do this. Are you with me so far? You start at 5 to 10 yards and move back in 5 or 10 yard increments, until you reach maximum effective range, or until the arrow hits the the last dot below center when holding center mass, with arrow tip on the same center dot. By doing this you have data that can be verified and repeated, without question.

The next step in the exercise is to break down yardage estimation into 3 groups, short, medium, and long. For example, short may be 5 to 15, medium 15 to 25, and long 25 to 35. Those are examples. So with the data you have learned, one can accurately know where the arrow will impact at those distances. So given that you adjust the point placement on the target, to achieve a repeatable flight path. Its just like shooting a rifle, You find your zero, then adjust up and down the point of aim until you achieve the desired result. One does not need to know exact yardage after the exercise is complete, just know short, medium, and long.

Most all targets offer You a kill zone of 6 inches, look at the kill zone on deer, its huge. Look at the same on 3d targets, You have some room for error, refer to your arrow impacts at all the distances, burn those in your head. They will never change. Thats how I gap shoot, quantified with hard facts and figures. Try it... you will like it. Some would like to argue about arrow drop, but what those people are not considering, is the lower aim point of the arrow tip, versus where a normal bow sight would be located. This changes the arc of the arrow automatically, to compensate for yardage estimation. Good luck, Jeff
A longbow and wood arrows? Peas and Carrots!

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Great post Mo0se. thats how i do it as well a little time with a ruler on target and you can be very consistent or at least as consistent as your ranging abilities.

Offline alex m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks, MoOse.  I've been shooting "instigap", and this will really help improve my shooting.  I can see it already!  Alex
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©