3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Rut, depression and the wrong deer  (Read 802 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
The Rut, depression and the wrong deer
« on: November 19, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
During the last two months, I have only missed hunting on Tuesday's due to a night course. I have been hunting hard looking for a particular deer that I have been watching for two years. My wife has been feeding my horses for the past two months. Last year I passed on the deer because he was not mature and it was only two days of rifle season left. Here in NC, you can bow hunt during the rifle seasons. The area is mountainous and because of the swirling winds, it is hard hunting. Back in late September there was a Friday that I did not hunt because it was so windy. It so happened that I looked on a cut right under my stand and there he was. He stayed right out in the open. I have climbed the mountain and hit the different stands from all angles keeping the wind at my advantage. I decided to take a shot if it was offered. Three Saturdays ago, I seen him going back to the bedding area. He was on the move and I was afraid to take the shot. That evening I hunted the same stand thinking he might come out and take another path across the ridge and by my stand. I had a judo point on a squirrel arrow so I looked at a leaf where the big deer was standing in the morning and let the arrow go. My stand is 27ft up and I shot the leaf without any difficulty. I was sick but I could not take the risk of wounding him while he was walking. On Monday, I could not resist, so I hunted the same stand and I took a range finder with me. The spot where he walked was 34 yards. I did not get a really good look at his rack because I was so focused on the spot. I just know it was him with those long tines. Tonight, I hunted a double bull blind on a ridge with a bunch of rodadendrum(spelling). I have set up mock scrapes on the ridge with James Valley wall hanger, rut gel, and lethal weapon. The deer also have always scraped there in the past so I have been peeing in their scrapes. Down the holler, I cut a wove wire fence and bent it down to allow the deer to filter up along to the front of the blind. I had a west wind so it was perfect. I was not there 10 minutes when I saw the first buck, a six point come grunting right in front of me. I am kind of tired of seeing all those little bucks. During the rut, I would rather see more does. Well, an hour went by or so and I look up to see a beast of a deer walking just like I would of hoped. He went to the scrape and just tore it up. He was slinging dirt, standing up, horning the rodadendrum. The whole time like always, I was thinking about the shot. He walked from behind the bush at about 25-28 yards. I just knew it was him because how many deer could be in the woods with that big of a body. Well, I walked up on him and immediately sunk, I had shot the wrong deer. I did not know this one. He must of come down from the mountains during the rut. Now, I am begining to doubt whether it was the deer I saw three weeks ago. The big deer is mostly nocturnal, and is a ten point. I have plenty of cudde back pics of him. The deer I shot tonight is a nine point. It only makes me wonder if he is still out there with gun season in full swing. I shoot a Dale Dye Medicine point with fast flight limbs, 54lb at29 Axis shafts with either Stos or Wensel Woodsmans and a steel broadhead adapter. Total arrow weight is 530 grains. I really am feeling bad because I think this deer has some potential if he survived the rifle season. He had a huge body and it took three us (well two and half) because one was my wife to lift him into the polaris. I took a good look at his body before the shot and he had the big gut just like a mature deer. A couple weeks to go and maybe the ten point will show. Tim in NC  
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Rut, depression and the wrong deer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Not a bad consolation prize there.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Nice buck!

Your real trophy is your wife...feeding the horses for the last two months..must be love.

Congrats!
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice buck!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
You want sympathy for shooting a buck like that???  You're depressed after shooting a buck like that???  
Get a grip man, that's a brute!   :thumbsup:   There might be bigger ones, but this guy would take a ride the taxidermist shop for most any hunter.  Congratulations!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Wow, that is a good'un in my book!  Most guys will never get a chance to take a buck like that with any weapon.  I would keep hunting hard for the big boy 10 pointer and enjoy the venison/memories from a nice trophy you just shot.  Count your blessings, that is an awesome buck for 98% of the bowhunters in the woods.

Longbows & Short Shots,
Jeff

PS:  I have missed more this year than in any season of bow hunting in my life.  I am freakin depressed! LOL!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
How can you live with yourself, shooting such a baby?LOL. Come on man, quit crying, go buy your wife something special(2 months of feeding the horses!!), and call the taxidermist. I doubt anyone is gonna feel sorry for you  :D  

Congrats on an awesome buck.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 03:03:00 AM »
.....nice deer..........
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:01:00 AM »
I will take that buck any day!

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
Trade ya that one for the 6 pointer I missed a couple of weeks ago?? Course you're gonna have to come over and find him first...   :notworthy:
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 06:57:00 AM »
Guys, not looking for sympathy, I just think of what this buck might of been in another year or two. I would rather shoot does, I am amazed at them large does and how smart they are. For Example, the same set up with a west wind on Friday. Small buck comes right into the scrape area with no hesitation. A big long nose doe circles the area and comes in down wind. She stops and raises her nose and picks me off despite scent lock, scent blocker, lavilin and scent away, etc. I just sat there and had to laugh. For a spit second, I thought you B*&$h. I thinned some does last year and only seen two bucks in the area. This year, I have seen 7 or 8 different ones. I think I am doing something right. If by some miracle, I shoot the Ten I will follow up with you. With these good ole boys and their rifles, it is not looking good. Maybe he will stay nocturnal. Tim in NC
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
Nice deer!  Like my Daddy used to say, "Just wait 'til next year!!!"
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Personally I think there are more bucks dying of old age than people realize. If he's made it thru a couple three rife seasons already, he'll probably make it again this year. Getting past the "Jackers" is another thing, real problem around here. Good luck next year, your going to need it, because he's going to be even harder to see then.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
bro, i understand what you're saying. i used to think like that BUT that's a shooter ANYWHERE and ANYTIME...especially in NC. if your depressed about shootin that deer then you have serious issues

you have a beautiful deer, bow, and WIFE.. enjoy them all. journey not destination...

get over it

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Well, if you spend your days worrying about couldabeens, you'll spend too many days disappointed. It's like breaking a bow. You can always make another.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
I think it is pitiful that you spend that much time hunting and have your family sacrifice for you and then you are depressed about killing one of God's creatures.  Reevaluate.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
I see both sides of this however I have always had the philosophy that once you drop the string you should be satisfied with the animal you have killed. No one made you release. If you dropped the string on the wrong critter it's because you DIDN'T IDENTIFY WHAT YOU WERE SHOOTING AT. If you want to shoot only giant mature bucks (and there's nothing wrong with that if that's the challenge you seek) make darn sure it's a giant mature buck BEFORE you release the arrow.

My younger brother did that last year. Shot a nice 8 pointer, a real nice deer, but then regretted shooting it cause there was a bigger 10 pointer in the area he "should have waited on". I slapped him upside the head and said "if this one wasn't going to make you happy, why'd you shoot him?"

Personally speaking I have shot everything from 200 inch bucks to 74 pound does and since I was the one who made the decision to drop the string each time, I was pleased with the results each time.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Night Stalker good for you for passing up the walking shot you were uncomfortable with. You would have felt much worse if you would have tried that shot and wounded that magnificient buck. I know how you feel. I passed on taking a shot on the big 160"? buck I have been hunting this year. The shot was within my range but it was through some brush and the buck was alert. I am sure I could have got the arrow through the brush but not sure where I would have hit the deer if he jumped the string. Anyway "my deer" just showed up in a picture at the local archery shop. He was shot by a rifle hunter yesterday. I am a little disappointed but I still know it was the right thing not taking the shot.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
A nice deer and an ethical harvest.  I must say, if you aren't pleased, I'm wondering the purpose of this post???....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
I wouldn't have any fun if I put that much pressure on myself.  I hope to never get to that stage of wanting only the biggest buck in the woods.  I enjoy far too much of the hunt other than killing the critter.  I hope you have a good rest of the season.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©