Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Working on Keeping Bow Elbow Out  (Read 872 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Working on Keeping Bow Elbow Out
« on: August 20, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Well, I'm working very hard on getting my bow elbow pointing out instead of down and loving the results.  BUT, getting that elbow into the right position is the hardest part of the shot sequence for me.  It takes me conscious effort and an almost contortionists ability to keep that elbow where I want it yet grip the bow.

Anyone have any pointers for getting and keeping your bow elbow in the right position?  Do others have difficulty contorting their bow arm to the correct slot?  Part of me knows repetition is the answer, but wanted to hear what others had to say.

I'm very happy with the progress I'm making, due almost exclusively to the knowledge I gain here on TradGang and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for the input guys and gals.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Working on Keeping Bow Elbow Out
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Pokerdaddy,

An exercise you can do is very simple.  Just place your bow hand on the outside corner of a wall in your house and practice rotating the arm up and down.  This is something that we can do but to do it on command takes some practice.  After a while, using the wall corner, you will be able to go to a broom handle ( something not quite so solid) and then to your bow.  I needed to do this for about three days to really learn how to rotate that arm correctly.  Keep your  arm at a 90 degree angle to your spine and to the wall to start.  Don't let your shoulder move up or down JUST rotate the arm and your elbow will go to the correct position.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks moebow, that's exactly the kind of help/exercise I needed!
Michigan Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
See if this makes sense:
Start holding the bow arm lowered against your body in front with your palm facing you.
Raise your arm and bow horizontally straight in front of you to about shoulder height. Now by rotating your WRIST ONLY, turn the bow to vertical. Concentrate on only rotating the wrist and not allowing the elbow to lower at all. Easier to do then it sounds - trick taught to me by Mike Fedora.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Steve, just tried what you described.  That's a very nice exercise!  Between your advice and moebow's I should be squared away.  Thanks so much for the advice.
Michigan Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
moebow it is lot to ask but could you provide a photo of how the elbow should look in what you are describing?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Lowrider,  I'll see if I can post a couple pictures later today.  In the mean time, Two of the videos that I posted in the "release tips" thread below in this forum show the elbow but don't specifically talk about it.  Check out the "shooting a Hill bow using the BEST " and the "Demo shot" videos.  I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt in those videos and you can see the vertical position of the elbow.  The "Demo shot" was made for my NASP students (8-15 years old) so don't think I am " talking down to you.

See if that helps and I will try to get a couple photos up to show later.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
Lowrider,  Weather here is not cooperating today = no pictures.  Try this a s an experiment.

Take a full glass of water and hold it out in your bow hand as though you were shooting and the glass vertical so it won't spill.  With your elbow in the normal position for you.  Now, bend your elbow.  IF you pour the water on your head, your elbow is in a flat position and is incorrect.  If the glass of water comes around to your chest without spilling, your elbow is in the correct position.

See if this image helps and have a towel handy.   :biglaugh:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Moebow thanks that makes sense. By the way send some rain this way. Don,t remember the last time we had any. 47 days of over 100 with some being up to 108.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Remember that the rotation happens in the shoulder and upper arm, the elbow position is a consequence of this. The rotation should happen before raising your bow not during the draw cycle.

Also, be careful not to overdo things (especially all at once) and keep in mind that there are people who are not physically able and should not do this rotation (or do it in a limited fashion) as it could lead to a rotator injury which could keep you out for months. This is an area of the BEST or NTS method which there is some controversy even among top coaches. Personally, I would hesitate as to make a suggestion to rotate without evaluating, knowing the archer’s training schedule, and watching a person’s progression. My suggestion is that if you feel any pain at all in the shoulder, stop.  Another suggestion would be to also work on increasing strength in the rotator cuff.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Here come some pictures of a NOT recommended bow arm elbow. This is what I call a flat elbow and causes loss of string arm clearance and loss of good bone on bone alignment.

11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Now, here are more pictures that show a vertical elbow which I recommend.  It gives a stronger bone on bone alignment and better string and arm clearance.

The last picture really shows the ulna/humorus alignment with the vertical elbow position.

To learn to rotate the arm this way I suggest placing your hand on the corner of a wall and practicing rotating the arm/elbow to the vertical position WITHOUT moving the shoulder.  I found I had to do this for a couple days to "get it"  but once practiced, it becomes a easy and natural thing to do.

Hope this helps.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©