3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many guys shootin under 50 lbs  (Read 2268 times)

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: how many guys shootin under 50 lbs
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
I've shot 48# bows for years.  Have taken moose, caribou, whitetail, & black bear with them.

todd smith
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
All three of mine are under 50.
All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
raising my embarrassingly skinny arm.  My new Striker is 47 lb @ 27"
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
45# Red wing Hunter. Nice light bow, great in the woods.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Hey Todd, hows the RHM doing these days?

I think of our UP hunt often.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Lizard lick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
I shoot a martin rebel # 45 @ 26"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
i killed my moose with a 50 at 28 inch fox breed take down, My draw is 26.5. so i am shooting around 45 lbs!
Make a life, not a living

Offline mxracer483

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
47# at 28. took a nice doe with a pass thru earlier this fall.
In the end it all comes down to the Indian not the arrows.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
45# Black Widow and a 580 grain arrow. With and sharp broadhead and a well placed shot this is plenty thump to take down whitetail.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
This thread surprises me a bit, but it is an encouragement!

Life-changing medical problems forced me to drop to "girlie bow" poundages this year.  Sold 5 bows in the 59-62# range to buy a Morrison Cheyenne and Sheepeater Obsidian at 47#@29.

I love these "little" bows, and am thrilled to be able to continue in archery for a while longer.  Shooting 12 grains/pound they pack a serious "THUMP," even if it is a bit less than what was familiar.

I feel sorry for the whitetail that stands on the receiving end of an arrow from either bow (unless there is an intervening sapling, as has happened TWICE this season as I tried to thread an arrow though an 8" gap!)

I miss my old bows, but do not feel "under-gunned" in any way.  I figured this would put me in the bottom 5% of trad bowhunters for poundage, but didn't care.  Now I suspect that there are a far greater number of folks who were more astute than I, and that a lot of fine hunters have settled in this range.

I do think it is good to shoot the highest poundage you can shoot comfortably, consistently, and WELL.  Just don't believe anyone should fret if that poundage is sub-50, as long as they do the work to make sure the "fine points" (arrow flight, broadhead selection and sharpness, etc.) are all in place.

Feelin' a bit less "girlie" now than I expected...

Too soon old, too late smart-

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Bob Rudy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
I have hunted for many years with bows in the 42# to 50# range and have not had any problems with making the shot or having pass thru's. I just purchased an RER Vortex 60", 43# for my go to bow. Don't expect any issues. I live in Texas and have harvested Whitetail,Corsican Ram and  Russian hog. The only shot that didn't give complete pass thru was the Corsican Ram. The distance was more than I usually shoot. I grew up in the 50's shooting long bows passed down from my older brother and eventually made enough money to purchase a semi-recurve bow. It was much faster than the longbows. I used to hunt on a golf course for ground squirrels which always proved a challenge. If they saw you coming they would give off a call and alert all the other squirrels. Some would stand erect and look for the threat while others would hug the ground lying prone. The ones that went prone were the easist to get. We would line up the shot and shoot in front of the squirrel a few feet and allow the arrow the slide forward to the squirrel.
No broadheads either field tips were the order of the day. One day while on the golf course I spotted a crow in the top of a tree and gave a go at it. The arrow hit the crow and carried him up into the air and back down into the tree. He was still very much alive and started sending out calls of distress. Within seconds crows came from everywhere and started dive bombing me. I took off running and swinging with my bow just to get away from the onslaught. Over the years I have had probably 8 Wing bows which included a Prensentation 1 and as well as most of Bob's other hunting bows. My favorite of all times was his Thunderbird 62", 44#. It had the smoothest draw and fantastic cast. The handle was black phenolic and felt great-no shock dead in the hand.

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
40# selfbow and 44# longbow  :D    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
My "Heavy" bow is a 55lb recurve. The rest are 48/53lbs
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
All my adult life I have shot bows in the upper 70s or low 80s. The last few years after my open heart surgury I had to go way down in weight and now I shoot 64#@29" and I'm a little embarrassed to admit it. I can shoot my 72@29" longbow and my 73#@29" recurve now but the light bow shoots so sweetly I may not move back up.  :bigsmyl:
This message you have read is true, it is however only offered for the purpose of humor and perceptive. For some 50 is heavy for others 60 is light. Now for for the point. 35# kills deer all the time. I've even seen sub 30# bows of modern design with enough to get the job done. Tougher animals probably need heavier bows because they require a heavier arrow. I would not have any qualms about hunting deer and hogs 100# or less(prime eating size anyway) with 45#. If I limited my shots to just the other side of point blank and I shot just as heavy an arrow as the bow could shoot well I'd hunt elk and moose with 45# too. I think a Gold Tip 3555 front loaded to give it a total weight of 490 - 530 grains would make a pretty lethal arrow.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
I shot a buddies 46# Southern Draw last weekend. That bow flat out smokes an arrow! It was if I was drawing a kids bow untill I let her go! I would have no problem chasin deer with that bow. Got me thinkin to have a set of lighter limbs made up for my ole Zipper TD one of these days.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
My newest and heaviest bow is 55# at 28. I got it because that was what was available to me for my resources. I am in the process of talking with the bowyer and his outlet to see if I can trade down in weight.I will stay at 49# or under if at all possible. I'd rather be shooting for as long as possible than shoot higher weight for a shorter time. My resources are the only thing slowing the process
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
I have six recurves and they range from 49# to 52#. The 52's are a set of extra limbs for one of my bows and they seem a bit stout but I still shoot them, just not as much as the others.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
I ain't got no skinny arms, but my go-to killin bow is 46@27.  Seems to work fine because I shoot it really well.  I can shoot it for literally hundreds of shots in a day with no ill effects.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline crosseye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
i have a 46# ferret self bow, 46# dwyer, and 45# massie...505 gr. arrows fly great from them.  i could shoot them all day.

stan

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
Morrison w/ 48#@28 and I'm closer to 29" now or near 50#. Fedora is 49.5# at 28 so that might go 51#+. heavy carbons that don't lose energy wobblin down range and I feel very good about it!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©