Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Rotational drawing technique  (Read 3092 times)

Offline tuxdad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rotational drawing technique
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Thank you Sir !!
I've been trying using the "c" as well on my jawbone, after chatting with a gent at the local indoor range.. It's helped me a great deal with both my recurve as well as my longbow..

Hopefully by next year this time(provided I stick with practicing) I should be more confident with my instinctive shooting..

Thank you again for your words of encouragement !!

Tux

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I'm a little late to the party on this, but Arne's rotational drawing technique has tied together all the missing links in my draw.  As I keep my bow arm pointed at the target, and watch in my peripheral vision the arrow point start to the left of the target and move on target as I draw the arrow, it's almost like a missle homing in on target.  It's kind of fun to watch, and especially fun when the arrow hits the mark more than it did before!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Lincoln Ribeiro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Great video. Thanks
``Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'' [S. Beckett]

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Wow. This works and it is very comfortable. Thanks for the post. Practicing this has changed my shooting for the better. I am in my 60s and this old dog has learned a new trick.
Thanks.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Dave, Lincoln, Joe,  And all the rest that have posted on this and other posts of mine;

Thank you for the kind comments!!!!!  I am VERY glad that you have found value in them!

I'm currently a little gun shy about posting here since the "absolutes" post.  I have NEVER wanted to confuse anyone or EVER imply that I thought that this was the only way to shoot.  I have said MANY times that what I posted in the videos was a SUGGESTION to try and see if it works for you -- it may or it may not!  IF it gives you an IDEA to work on and makes you think about what you do, that is the intent!

I'd also remind everyone looking at the videos that they were originally made for KIDS in the 10 to 18 year old age range. I give many of my students a CD with these videos so they can review class lessons at home as reminders. My narration is specifically set to that age group so PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT I'M "TALKING DOWN TO YOU!!!!"  I may be a lot of things but "arrogant" isn't any of them.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Thank you moebow for your great videos.  I recently watched your release tips videos and worked on incorporating some of those ideas with good success.

Today, I stumbled upon this thread and just had to try the rotational draw technique when I got home.  I'm a decent shot, but this was a real breakthrough for me in a number of ways.  Most importantly: back tension.  Previously, I -thought- I was getting proper back tension, but this technique showed me how wrong I was.  It was not only physically noticeable in how I felt (instead of feeling forced, the tension felt natural, and I no longer felt like I might be cheating a bit by relying on my string arm's strength), but the tight groups I started shooting were proof as well.

And I sincerely hope you'll ignore any negative opinions about your videos.  They are some of the clearest and most informative on archery I've found, and I hope you'll share more of your knowledge.  Your efforts are very much appreciated.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 04:49:00 AM »
Arne:

Keep saying what you're saying. Please can take it or leave it as they like. If it works for them then stick with with it. If it doesn't then can try something different. I'm always looking for ways to improve my form.
Alan

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
Arne, just keep doing what you are doing.

And hopefully other guys keep doing it too.

Answering questions, critiquing, analyzing and offering suggestions.

I've taken advice from you, McDave, Javi, wtpops, and the Form Clock.

Thanks to all of you fellow archers who take the time to help those of us who are asking you for help.

Where would we turn if you turned us away....
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Just saw your videos...good stuff Moe...where in Mn is that, John Jr's shop?   I may be coming to visit this spring.  Might have to come find you if thats ok lol.  Have a few things I'd like to work on.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
Just saw the grandrapids archers on the wall lol....  guess that means its not John Jr's shop  ;) .

Thanks for taking the time on the videos!   Would love to hook up when I head 'home' next spring for an afternoon if you got a few hours.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
AkDan,  I'd be very happy to spend some time with you if you get back here this spring.  Stay in touch.  It would be fun to catch up on AK events too.  Lived there (North Pole) for 20 years.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I live in north pole currently   ;) .

Originally from forest lake mn area.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the video, I tried this drawing method today and can tell already I was working different muscles than I have previously.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Very explicit insruction Arne.

Thank you!!!!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
With practice and patients, this is what the information on this forum has done for me,

What this picture does not show is the wind blew the leaf sideways, I concentrated used the tips I relearned here and the above picture are the results so far.

This is the view from where I stand sometimes to practice, sorry couldn't get this photo to down size but it's about 18-20 yds.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Thanks, for giving your time to help us!
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Moeboe, Excellent video.

Even though the video subject dealt with rotational draw, I couldn't miss the release.
The release appeared to me to lack fluidity such as a method of attempting to learn a full dynamic release. The release seemed not to be engrained and natural, thus losing focus on the target and bow arm while attempting to immulate a full dynamic release. The release should be naturally fluid as the bow arm remains stable and bow forces are directed towards the target.

Much more focus IMHO should be on the the bow arm and target and the release should be natural. The inconsistant bow arm movement revealed this observation.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Excellent video. Made a world of difference in my alignment. Can't thank Moebow enough for this one.

Offline jarheadusmc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Moebow,
Tried the rotational draw technique when I got home from work. I'm shooting 8 to10 yrds in my garage. After practicing it for a while my groups really were reduced in size. Could feel it in my back muscles. Probably will be sore tomorrow.
Thank-you for the advice.
RER LXR 60" 51#@27" & 58" 50#@27"

Holm Made Osprey 62" 52#@28"

Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 50#@28"

Thunderstick lll 64'" 56#@27"

Offline bdgr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
Moebow,

very interesting I havent been able to practice this yet. I am recovering from carpal tunnel surgery.  Could you comment on how this technique works or changes, if say, shooting from a treestand when you are having to bend at the waist?  Are the mechanics the same.  Also I tend to cant the bow alot more and lean over the bow, if that description makes sense when shooting on the flat.  will this method translate to different degrees of canting or is it for a more "upright" stance.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
Mike,

What you see here is A way to find your back tension and alignment.  I do show it in an ideal situation which is a great way to learn the technique.  Once you learn the feel you want, then applying it to less than ideal situations is pretty easy.  Once you learn the feel of the arms and shoulders and how your back is working, then you will be able to achieve alignment in just about any situation.  How you get to the alignment and back tension is less important than getting it.  It is just that at the beginning if you take all the extraneous variables out of the shot, it is easier to learn.  It is very much a "walk before you run" situation.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©