Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting inconsistancy issues  (Read 951 times)

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting inconsistancy issues
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Hi guys,

This is gonna be a long post addressing several issues I am having. Please let me know if I should have broken it up into more smaller posts. I will try to organize the issues as much as possible to make them easily addressable.

FOREWORD: I have lots of advanced training with guns and have been using similar methods/training exercises to learn trad archery since that is the way I know. Shooting drills for muscle memory etc. I am trying to tailor my shooting to hunting and in training do not sit in one place with a single height and body angle/position towards the target.
 I have only been shooting about 1 1/2-2weeks. i came out of the gate with 2-3" groups at 15-20 yards. Since then I have tried to refine my form and have since began shooting much worse...lol Bow season is 3 weeks away so here I am!

Issue 1: I am having a tough time finding a sweet spot with my bow arm and i cant drill it into muscle memory until I get it confidently solid. It seems like the only time it is money is when I draw with my eyes closed and head aligned with body(saw that on the site somewhere, it works). I have had a really hard time replicating it without closing my eyes. I am a little stocky with crazy long arms and when I try to get a super solid bow arm, the string slaps where my chest connects to my bow shoulder, my forarm, and even the corner of my nose some times(very inconsistent).

Issue 2: I shoot 3 under and I believe have a strong anchor with my pointer finger fish hooking my mouth. I simply open my fingers to release, like reversing a gun trigger. (At 10yards I feel that my release is keeping me from getting any tighter than 3" 2 arrow groups when I am my best lately) I have been researching the site, but do not understand the whole back tension release thing.

Issue 3: I have no idea what I am doing...hahaha. I guess what I am asking is: What are some good exercises, drills, etc that I can do? My goal is to (and I am sure yall hear this alot) shoot in the style of Terry Green.
No offense target guys, but I want my arrows to fly with deadly intent and I want to be able to accurately send them from any spot and any position both high and low maybe even while moving on foot one day (dare to dream right). I understand the basics and perfect from are initially required (before guys start hammering me hahaha).  

I guess that will get me started for now...lol. I know you guys are going to want form pics/videos. I will try to get some pics for sure in the next couple hours and will post them to this thread. Thanks guys and I cant wait to hear form yall!

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting inconsistancy issues
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Issue #2 is two separate things.. the release isn't opening your fingers.. it is allowing the string to slip from your fingers.. think. Instead of “LET GO” think... “STOP HOLDING”

Back tension is using the back to pull through the shot... it is a much more difficult subject to address..  watch this video it may help..  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49xdu1wGdo&feature=relmfu
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Here are some pics...sorry about the belly shot in the front one...shirts kinda short..

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Here's what you can try.
#1 Lay your thumb on your trigger finger.
#2 Raise your right elbow up about an inch.
#3 Squeeze your should blades together
#4 move your right foot outward about a half step
#5 start Practicing these changes at about 3-5 yards..

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
DM,

Admirable intent BUT...
Your are trying to play a hockey game with the Chicago Blackhawks and you haven't even taken your first pair of skates out of the box yet and have never been on ice skates before.  As you work on form your shooting WILL GET WORSE before it gets better!!!!  And I'd say that 1 1/2 weeks is no where near enough time to "get it all."  It is a proven fact in sports training that it takes at least 21 practice sessions to learn and train ONE facet of a form habit.

"I understand the basics and perfect from are initially required (before guys start hammering me hahaha)"   The basics and "perfect form" take a lot more than the month you have from starting out to "bow season."  No hammering intended here just the real facts about learning traditional shooting.

Issue 3 -- Find a mentor or better yet a coach to get you started.  Most of us "old" guys were self taught but that is the really HARD way to start.  Review all the videos you can, Javi's reference is a good one but there are many more.

Issue 1 -- See my suggestion for Issue 3.

Issue 2 -- release can be the hardest part of the the whole process and see my suggestion for Issue 3.

You are right, a video of where you are now will help and we are very willing to help but coaching by internet is really difficult and the process will be very much shortened by complying with my suggestion to Issue 3.

Slow down and above all have some fun with this.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Your pictures came up while I was typing the above response.  What Bows said is correct also look at your back in the 3rd and 4th picture.  See how it is concave?  You are "rearing" back Which is causing the string clearance issues you describe.  Get your back straight by bringing your upper body ( shoulders and head) forward a little until the back is straight.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
BowsanAiros:
Do you mean I should lay my thumb on trigger finger on my bow hand? I probably sound stupid, but would you be able to send me a pic? I think I understand hwat you mean by the rest of them.

moebow: Aim for the stars and if you fall short then you are still on the moon right?!? Hahaha.. you actually just tightened up my shot group considerably by one of your videos before I came back to check on here...lol.
    I have a mentor/someone knowledgable to help me out, but he is about 1 1/2 hours away. He helped me get started and tuned/taught me how to keep tuned  my bow for me! I live sooooo far out in the woods in rural MS that I would be surprised if there was anyone within a 1/2 hour drive of me. I wish I had someone knowledgeable close by!
     THANK YOU for solving my back/string slapping! I just went out and shot about 40 arrows before coming in here and slapped my chest 3 times, my forearm twice, and my nose a couple times. It starts to hurt after a bit...lol. As soon as I finish this reply i am gonna show my wife that with my back and have her sit out there and fuss at me when I do it. I just started the slapping while trying to find a bow arm sweet spot this past week.  
 I am gonna go drill that in first... thanks guys and keep up the critiques! Headed out right now!  :)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Awesome! String slapping solved! Thanks moebow! I had not even realized I was doing that. I was looking at various form photos and it seems as if guys are actually leaning forward a bit. I tried that and it is a million times more comfortable and no slapping. Man, you have no idea how much I appreciate that!

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
destructive, that what I mean, and no you don't sound stupid...
Once you've practiced changing your minor errors check out the thread I posted on "instinctive step by step", you may find them helpful..

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Glad it helped DM. Second checking out Bowsanairos' thread too.  If no one is close by as you say, this forum will be you best second choice.  We are here to try to help.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Yall are already helping more than yall realize! Will check out all.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I'll add my two cents ( hope it helps ). You look like your are shrugging your shoulders, take a normal deep breath as you draw, this should help you with correcting your stature. It does not look like your are drawing all the way, which will prevent you from using your back muscles. I don't think you are too far off though, these little suggestions should help you out.

I would also highly recommend blind or blank bale shooting for at least 3-4 weeks straight, this will ingrain the movements into your brain and body so you don't have to think about them, all you will have to do is concentrate on your spot.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
BowsanAiros: My hand grip is too big and my thumb wont touch my trigger finger. Will that affect my shooting? Am going to start putting some time on your drills today.

njloco: I am shrugging my shoulders. So much that my right trap has felt like its had a knife in it for about a week now. Everyone keeps talking about using your back so I started trying to use my traps and other central back muscles... not good?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
DM,  Bows is talking about your string hand, NOT your bow hand.  In the first picture above, see how that thumb is sticking up on your face?  That is what he is referring to.

If you hold that bow shoulder down and back (away from your chin) your traps will take care of themselves.  No extra force or tension will be required.  If you relax everything as you draw, then only the muscles needed will "kick in" -- try not to tense up.  You really should not get any "knives" and if you do something is incorrect.

Again if yo can post a video of the entire shot it will really help us to see what is happening.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
MoeBow thanks for clarifying that. I probably should have in my first post..

DM, with your "pointer finger" in the corner of your mouth, you should "feel" your thumb under your "Cheek" bone..
Which gives you a 2 point anchor. This is much more comfortable and repeatable.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Ok thanks guys, I understand now. I havent been off work in the daylight in a couple days and am going crazy not being able to try these. I will post a video as soon as I am home in daylight! Thank yall again!

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 03:00:00 AM »
coach time go up and see bob wesley he is in nc now worth every penny.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©