Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: my form. critique please.  (Read 541 times)

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
my form. critique please.
« on: September 10, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Now before you guys yell at me, I know using a release is a no no. Im getting a tab soon so I will be shooting like that soon. I only have the one perspective for now but id like any suggestions you can give from it. More perspectives to come.

Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline BowsanAiros

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my form. critique please.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
David, your form looks good. With the release you've got a shot draw but once you get
your tab, you'll find you'll gain an 1" or so in draw length..

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I agree with "Bows..." (usually do    :D  )  I would add this.  You are shooting at a target on the ground so you have lowered your bow arm to point the arrow at the target.  Your spine in this picture is EXCELLENT (straight up and down BUT...) You want your bow arm perpendicular to your bow arm/arrow line.  Try this:  Draw on the horizon so you establish that ninety degree angle (bow arm to spine) THEN keeping the 90* angle, bend forward at the waist to bring your arrow on the line you need to hit the target.

Better yet, would be to get that target at shoulder height as you are practicing so you can keep that great posture you have now and also maintain the 90* angle without contortions.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »

Bought a glove now. I know I said I was getting a tab but this is all the sporting goods store had. Further comments and critiques appreciated.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I'd have to say that does look very good, how is it working for you ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
Well my accuracy sucks, but I'm still working on my release. I try to shoot instinctive and snap release but some times I try aiming down the arrow as well. When i don't worry about either I can group pretty well but then my form is terrible, or so it feels, and I don't seem to get a full draw. I did get in touch with an archery coach but I'd like some input from all angles. I might try to find my camera that I managed to misplace and take some video from different angles of my release.

I often forget to just relax my hand and flex my fingers out to release the string and my hand goes to my pectoral instead of following through behind my ear. It's difficult for me to just let the string do the work, but I'm trying.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
David, I agree with njloco,  you are looking pretty good.  Your back is a little too concave which is pulling your head a shoulders back a little too much but if you have found a coach, work with him/her and don't second guess with comments from us here on the forum.  Your coach will be right there and will always have a better handle on what you are doing than we will.

That said, I would recommend that you blank bale until your form is the same every shot.  DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT AT A MARK UNTIL AFTER you've got your form down!!!!!  You say above that your accuracy "sucks",  I say," who cares?"  If you work on your form (correct form) for 2 months, then your accuracy will be there.  If you keep "checking" by shooting at a bull's eye during the learning process, you MAY (but probably not) be hitting the bull in a year!  Your choice.

Video is a great way to check your progress, much better than trying to hit something.  Find your camera.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©